Installing VSS 2005 where 6.0 exists

Jay

Jan 11, 2006, 7:17:02 PM1/11/06
We've received VSS 2005 in our MSDN pack and are keen to install.
Currently we are using VSS 6.0 and have it installed on our development
server and dev workstations. Reading the readme it says we must uninstall 6.0
prior to installing this new version. Does this mean just on the workstations
or does it include the dev server? I don't want to risk losing users, files,
paths, history etc (which resides on the server). What is the correct
procedure? The readme doesn't go into much detail. Cheers.

Alin Constantin [MSFT]

Jan 15, 2006, 5:51:42 AM1/15/06
Hi Jay,

VSS6 uinstaller will not touch the database files (users, history, etc).
However, it deletes the SourceSafe registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SourceSafe.
That means that if you do the other way around (install VSS2005 first and
uninstall VSS6 after that), the uninstall of VSS6 will break VSS2005
integration with VS and delete the registration info for VSS2005, which will
require to repair VSS2005 to get it back in good shape. This is why the
readme recommends uninstalling VSS6 first.
--
Alin Constantin

"Jay" <J...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jay

Jan 15, 2006, 1:52:02 PM1/15/06
Thanks Alin,
I'm still not clear on how to proceed.
How do I get the new install to find the original VSS database.
The VSS DB resides on the network server and then we have separate installs
on each workstation.

Do I install VSS on the workstations, then install on the server and point
the new install (on the server) to the VSS DB folder?

Thanks again

Alin Constantin [MSFT]

Jan 17, 2006, 4:57:29 AM1/17/06
Hi Jay,

You have to uninstall VSS6 on each workstation, then install VSS2006 on each
workstation.

On each workstation, VSS stores the "registered" databases under 2 registry
keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SourceSafe\Databases
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\SourceSafe\Databases
While the VSS6 uninstall will delete the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SourceSafe, it will not touch the
other key.
After installing VSS2005, VSS2005 should already find the databases
registered, reading their list from the HKEY_CURRENT_USER key. You shouldn't
have anything to do.

If for some reason something doesn't work as expected, and the previous
databases list is not automatically recognized by VSS2005, you can at any
time use the File/OpenDatabase dialog, use the Add button there and point
VSS2005 to the database share where the srcsafe.ini file is (as I said
before, VSS6 uninstall will not delete the database files)

--
Alin Constantin

"Jay" <J...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jay

Jan 17, 2006, 5:10:03 AM1/17/06
Thanks again Alin,
After having installed VSS2005 do I then do likewise on the dev server where
the vssdb resides? Forgive me if i'm misunderstanding the program, I've been
a user for quite a while but never looked under the hood so to speak
(previous work colleague installed/configed the original VSS install on the
server)

Alin Constantin [MSFT]

Jan 17, 2006, 5:26:09 AM1/17/06
The VSS database doesn't necessarily need to be on a machine that has VSS
binaries installed.
Fwiw, the VSS database can even reside on a Samba share on a Unix machine...

I would install VSS on the machine where the vssdb database files reside if
any of these are true:
- some dev uses that machine as a VSS client, accessing the database
- you want to use the server components of VSS2005 (set up the database for
Internet access, or enable LAN Booster service for better performance over
LAN in VisualStudio)
- you use FrontPage web projects on IIS installed on that machine and want
to place them under source control.
- you want better performance when running database maintenance tools
(analyze may run slow if run over network)

--
Alin Constantin

"Jay" <J...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jay

Jan 17, 2006, 6:10:03 AM1/17/06
Thanks Alin,
I wasn't sure if the DB was version specific.
No, we won't use any of the features you mentioned so I will just install
VSS 2005 (after uninstall of 6) and leave the server "as is"

David R.

Jan 21, 2006, 1:11:44 PM1/21/06
Hi Alin,

Is this the same instruction for Installing VSS 2005 where VSS 6.0c *SERVER*
exists? I'm thinking of upgrading my VSS server installation to VSS 2005.

Thanks.

"Alin Constantin [MSFT]" <cn...@tfosorcim.moc> wrote in message

Jay

Jan 22, 2006, 6:22:02 PM1/22/06
Hmmm maybe this is the question I am trying to ask! :)
As I said, the VSS installs were done prior to me taking over.
On the dev server we have the DB and the admin. On the workstations we have
VSS all are v6. I want to upgrade to 2005. As far as I've read here I just
uninstall v6 on the workstations and install 2005 (then point to VSS DB on
the server). So I too need to know how to install 2005 server without losing
the data from v6 (files/projects/paths/users)

TMesh

Jan 25, 2006, 3:31:02 PM1/25/06
Jay

I am wondering the same thing. Just really want to be sure before I
actually upgrade. We are looking to use the server components so we can
check-in and check-out files while working at home or on the road.

Does anyone know if there are any published upgrade procedures out there?

Tom

David R.

Jan 27, 2006, 6:22:07 PM1/27/06
Yes, I also want to see the Microsoft "published upgrade procedures".

"TMesh" <TM...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Alin Constantin [MSFT]

Feb 1, 2006, 3:36:42 AM2/1/06
Hi David,

Yes, the procedure is the same. Just uninstall VSS6 and install VSS2005.
VSS 6.0 (c, d or older) had no "server" components (like in a real
client-server application). VSS6 was a distributed client, and each client
accessed the database as if it was stand-alone.

--
Alin Constantin

"David R." <davidr...@nospam.com> wrote in message