Error locating vs_setup.msi when trying to Uninstall/Repair

BobRoyAce

Jan 15, 2008, 8:38:59 PM1/15/08
I was trying to install a third-party product (CodeRush) and had
problems. To make a long story short, it was suspected that my Visual
Studio 2005 installation may be correupted somehow. So, I figured I'd
uninstall, or at least Repair VS2005. I am running on Windows Vista.

Well, when I go to Uninstall via Control Panel, or when I try to put
in the disc and run setup, I get an error message indicating that "The
Windows Installer package...vs_setup.msi. could not be opened."

So, it seems I'm dead in the water...can't reinstall until I
uninstall, but can't uninstall.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this problem and how it can be
fixed?

BobRoyAce

Jan 15, 2008, 11:30:09 PM1/15/08
I finally figured out a solution, though I dont know if it's ideal. It
did, however, at least allow me to Repair my installation. I ran
regedit and found the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products
\0E8BA73496BF22242B086AF4D32E5219

Underneath that one was a folder called Patches. Within that folder
was an entry called Patches of type REG_MULTI_SZ. I right-clicked on
it and clicked on Modify...then deleted the entry contained therein.

Lastly, I closed out of regedit and then reran the setup.exe for
VS2005 and it worked.

bigsc...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2008, 1:09:36 PM2/5/08

I was having the same problem, and came across your post. Worked like
a charm. Thank you!

Ramakrishnan@discussions.microsoft.com Sathya Ramakrishnan

Feb 6, 2008, 8:44:01 AM2/6/08
Amazing... :) Thanks a zillon.

- Sathya

healthenhancers

Mar 4, 2011, 11:48:08 PM3/4/11
FYI for VS2008 the key is

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\4E1DAD7D4F54B2B398A9AE271876CEF4

thanks
- Phillip

ryan....@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2012, 2:18:40 PM6/1/12
Thanks, this worked for me. I'd love to know how you figured this out.

duk...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2012, 6:19:56 PM9/27/12
Excellent, fixed my problem in no time. Allowed me to repair my current installation.

harsha....@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2012, 8:10:24 AM10/11/12
Hi ,

I want to install VSTS 2010 in my machine , and suddenly in between the installation , my system got shut down .

And i am getting the same error .

How to fix this problem any clue

qba...@gmail.com

Jan 1, 2014, 12:53:43 AM1/1/14
I was running into the same problem with 2010. I uninstalled VB 2010 & tried to install - still failed. Tried to reapply SP1 (failed). Couldn't uninstall it.

Deleted entry for patches under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\4896B46DF242CB230B805782605ECF44

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\3C62D210A21EADB3E8ECFD417E125A70

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\1D5E3C0FEDA1E123187686FED06E995A

Reran SP1 & it came up as a new installation. Installed and everything worked correctly after that. I guess the installer/uninstaller's cache gets corrupted and puts the entire thing in lingo.

bdo...@stonetek.com

Apr 10, 2014, 8:55:15 AM4/10/14
The Key for VS 2008 worked for me....thank you "Healthenhancers"

1995abhimanyuk...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2018, 5:18:41 AM2/4/18

Good Guy

Feb 4, 2018, 8:04:39 PM2/4/18

Please note BobRoyAce dies long time ago so if you have a question then please start a new one one so that somebody here can help you.

His post was dated January 16th 2008 and we are in February 2018.  Please dies within that time frame.
--
With over 600 million devices now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.