Expression syntax in watch window (VC++ 2008 Express)

Armin Zingler

Sep 13, 2008, 8:10:54 AM9/13/08
Hi group,

I'm attaching to a process in native mode. Symbol files are loaded. The
following line from the disassembly shows that it can resolve symbols
("MySymbolName" in this case):

fild dword ptr [MySymbolName (65436543h)]

Now I want to add the same symbol name to the watch window. However, it
shows
"CXX0017: Error: Symbol "MySymbolName" not found"
As the IDE is able to resolve the symbol in the disassembly window,
I thought I can also enter it in the watch window. I tried different
syntaxes, e.g.

MySymbolName
{,,Modulename} MySymbolName
DW {,,Modulename} MySymbolName
DW MySymbolName
{,,Modulename} &MySymbolName
etc

but none of them works. As you see, the case matches, too. Could anyone
please tell me the right syntax? I did read the docs but obviously make
something wrong.

Info: For example, I can enter "DW {,,Projekt1} Module1::Main" and this
works without a problem. The symbol above (MySymbolName) seems to be
a "global variable" in the module.

Armin

Armin Zingler

Oct 14, 2008, 2:26:45 PM10/14/08