Loaded 'ntdll.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

John Smith

Apr 16, 2005, 8:53:16 AM4/16/05
I'm writing a small program. It compiled and ran. But when trying
to debug by select "build/start debug/go", I got the following
error messages. What gives?

Loaded 'ntdll.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
Loaded 'D:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll', no matching symbolic
information found.
Loaded 'D:\WINDOWS\system32\wsock32.dll', no matching symbolic
information found.
Loaded 'D:\WINDOWS\system32\ws2_32.dll', no matching symbolic
information found.
Loaded 'D:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll', no matching symbolic
information found.
Loaded 'D:\WINDOWS\system32\ws2help.dll', no matching symbolic
information found.
Loaded 'D:\WINDOWS\system32\advapi32.dll', no matching symbolic
information found.
Loaded 'D:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcrt4.dll', no matching symbolic
information found.
The thread 0xDD8 has exited with code 0 (0x0).

David Lowndes

Apr 16, 2005, 9:07:50 AM4/16/05
>I'm writing a small program. It compiled and ran. But when trying
>to debug by select "build/start debug/go", I got the following
>error messages. What gives?

Nothing really - all you're seeing are informational messages saying
that the debugger can't find any debug information for those system
DLLs - all of which is perfectly normal unless you expect to have them
for some reason.

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq

Jonathan Wilson

Apr 16, 2005, 9:57:09 AM4/16/05
You can actually download the symbol files for those system dlls from
microsoft.

Chris

Apr 18, 2005, 9:41:39 AM4/18/05
Probably the easiest way for you to get symbols from MS is to set the
following ENV variable.

_NT_SYMPOL_PATH=srv*D:\Symbols\MS*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

D:\Symbols\MS is the path on your local machine that will hold the
downloaded symbol files. I believe you have to restart VS in order for the
ENV variable to take effect.

See the WinDbg documentation for more information on _NT_SYMBOL_PATH. The
same information may be somewhere else as well, but I don't know where.
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx

You can also download entire symbol packages from the above link
(_NT_SYMBOL_PATH not required then), however using the http symbol server
allows VS to download only the symbols it needs.

...Chris

"John Smith" <jsm...@company.com> wrote in message