VS 2003 to VS 2005 UPGRADE w/Excel 2003, VSTO

ibeetb

Jun 30, 2005, 3:07:34 PM6/30/05
I already have fully working copies of Visual Studio 2003, Excel 2003 and
VSTO. I have previously installed them all correctly. NOW, I want to upgrade
my Visual Studio 2003 to Visual Studio 2005. Will I need to reinstall Excel
2003 and VSTO if I go ahead and do a VStudio 2005 upgrade?

Ken Laws [MSFT]

Jul 1, 2005, 3:38:03 PM7/1/05
You should be able to install Visual Studio 2005 onto the computer without
needing to reinstall Excel 2003 or Visual Studio 2003.

If you are going to install Visual Studio 2005 and want to keep Visual
Studio 2003 I would suggest doing a side-by-side install which should leave
VS 2003 intact.

A couple of issues that you most likely will encounter regarding your VSTO
projects that you created with Visual Studio 2003 after the install of Visual
Studio 2005.

1. Once Visual Studio 2005 is installed Microsoft Office will load your
VSTO 2003 projects using the .NET 2.0 Framework, so you may need to add
security policies to the 2.0 Framework in order for the project to load.

2. Once Visual Studio 2005 is installed you may encounter problems
debugging your VSTO 2003 project from within Visual Studio 2003. This is
again a result of Microsoft Office loading the project in the 2.0 Framework.
A couple of options that you have for debugging would be to convert the
project to a VSTO 2005 project and you could then debug using Visual Studio
2005 or you could also implement an app config file to force Microsoft Office
to load the project in the 1.1. Framework.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Ken Laws
MSFT

For more information regarding Visual Studio Tools for Office 2005:

Best of Blogs: Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/odc_2003_ta/html/odc_landvsto2005_ta.asp

Visual Studio Tools for Office Forum
http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=16

Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office System
http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/vsto/default.aspx