BUG FIX: Unknown Undo/Redo Error, losing Intellisense and code formatting

Carl Mercier

Aug 12, 2003, 9:54:15 AM8/12/03
Many people reported getting the error message "Unknown Undo/Redo Error",
losing Intellisense and code formatting and so on.

We also had the problem and got quite frustrated by it. After MANY hours of
trying, we are glad to let you know that we finally found the problem and
have been able to fix it! I believe no one else has been able to fix it
because I couldn't find anything on Usenet, so that's why I am posting this.

How to reproduce the problem (your VS.NET IDE is in "screwed up mode")
1. Open any form
2. Go in the code editor and add a new Sub by typing:

--
Public Sub Test [ENTER]
--

End Sub should be automatically added.

3. Now, go in the form designer and resize the form. This causes the
auto-generated code to be regenerated.
lost Intellisense, Undo and code completion. Notice that "End Sub" was not
automatically added.

The FIX
1. In Solution Explorer, click on Show All Files.
2. Open 'licenses.licx' by double-clicking on it.
3. Remove ALL blank lines, including the blank lines at the end.
4. Close VS.NET, re-open VS.NET and your solution.
5. Voila!

This worked perfectly for us. I hope it will also work for you!

Carl

Sandip Bhaskar

Sep 5, 2003, 3:05:52 AM9/5/03
Thanks a lot Carl,
It worked for me!!!

Patrick Sarnowski

Oct 1, 2003, 9:51:56 AM10/1/03
> The FIX
> 1. In Solution Explorer, click on Show All Files.
> 2. Open 'licenses.licx' by double-clicking on it.
> 3. Remove ALL blank lines, including the blank lines at the end.
> 4. Close VS.NET, re-open VS.NET and your solution.
> 5. Voila!
>
> This worked perfectly for us. I hope it will also work for you!

Worked for us two. Who would have thought two blank lines at the end
of a text file could break the entire development environment?

Willem Meints

Jan 15, 2005, 3:44:27 PM1/15/05

Worked for me too, I had a solution that contained 6 projects. All in
C#, Somehow my VS.NET got screwed up on some silly DLL project that was
written in VB.NET.

After using this trick, it worked just fine