Visual Studio 2005 debugging not working for ASP pages

Feb 13, 2006, 10:40:28 AM2/13/06
I just installed vs 2005 and I am trying to debug regular ASP pages and they
never stop at the break points I put in.

My coleages are able to debug .net programs, but I can NOT do it with ASP
pages.

I have 2003 still installed and debugging works fine.

Please help!!

Feb 13, 2006, 11:49:26 AM2/13/06
I left out some details.

I am running windows xp pro.

I searched on the forums and tried various resulutions, the most promising
was:

and attaching to existing processes.

It says you MUST attach to the MTX.exe processs. Well I do not have this
running on my machine under the processes tab, and I do NOT have this .exe
file on my PC, I did a search and it did not find it. (I have display hidden
files to show in properties).

I would really appreicate some help on this, or do I just need to go back to
2003?

ne...@mail.adsl4less.com

Feb 13, 2006, 2:57:29 PM2/13/06
How spooky is that? On the same day as you I'm trying the same thing
and read the same page as you!

My conclusion is that you can't debug plain old ASP (vbscript) in
Visual Studio 2005. There are tons of examples that show ASP.Net
debugging and, as you say, a page in MS's site that glibly says it is
possible with old vbscript ASP but having read pages and pages of
waffle, I can't find a single page that actually says how, so I'm
disinclined to believe MS in this case. mtx.exe BTW is the Transaction
server. Not that it helps!

Looks like it's back to the ancient Script Debugger for me (so much for
backwards compatability, eh?)

ne...@mail.adsl4less.com

Feb 13, 2006, 3:05:21 PM2/13/06
OK - about 10 minutes after posting, I found out how to do it.:
- Load your ASP page in VS 2005 and set your breakpoint.
- Attach to (wait for it)... dllhost.exe (Script Code option when
attaching).
Voila!

The page that says you have to attach to mtx.exe is just plain wrong.
rather than ranting about it and the amount of time I've wasted on
this, I shall do the decent thing and left MS know. :)

Andrew

Feb 13, 2006, 7:52:30 PM2/13/06
Are you sure you can debug ASP pages with VS2005? I thought you can
only debug ASP pages with VS2003. When I had both VS2003 and VS2005
installed on the same machine I couldn't even debug ASP with VS2003. I
had to uninstall both and reinstall only VS2003 and then I was able to
debug again. Hope this helps.

ne...@mail.adsl4less.com

Feb 14, 2006, 3:35:51 AM2/14/06

Andrew wrote:
> Are you sure you can debug ASP pages with VS2005?
Quite sure, thank you.

> I thought you can
> only debug ASP pages with VS2003.

You thought incorrectly. It's just a pity that nowhere seems to say how
and I would (indeed did) have thought the same as you were it not for
the fact that I stumbled across how to do it