Re: + Disappears in WatchWindow, Object does not expand

Dave56

Jul 8, 2004, 10:27:31 AM7/8/04
"Markus" <Mar...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:724D5D74-EFC3-4475...@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
>
> if i have a breakpoint and add a watch to the watch window and click the
+,the
> + disappars and the object does not expand. I can't evaluate the
properties of the object.

> This did run before. It is VS2003.
>
> Markus

Others have had this problem also.
There was a previous thread on this news group dealing with this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.vsnet.debugging&mid=73c4c741-f142-4cf5-8eac-d370bb6a066e

Here is a summary of that thread:

-----------------------
Subject: Non-visible members/properties when expanding objects in
locals/watch 3/25/2004 6:04 AM PST

By: Peter L. Kristiansen In: microsoft.public.vsnet.debugging

Hi.

I have Visual Studio.NET 2002 solution that I have converted to Visual
Studio.NET 2003 by opening it in VS2003. After this operation I get
non-visible members/properties when expanding objects in locals/watch. When
I try to expand an object in the locals window nothing happens, the + sign
disappear and nothing else.

It seem to be that solution only, in other solutions I don't have the
problem. Needless to say this is very annoying. Can this be fixed, please?
Do others have the same problem?

BR

Peter L. Kristiansen
-----------------------
-----------------------
-----------------------
-----------------------

Dave56

Jul 8, 2004, 10:34:22 AM7/8/04
"Markus" <Mar...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> if i have a breakpoint and add a watch to the watch window and click the
+,the
> + disappars and the object does not expand. I can't evaluate the
properties of the object.

> This did run before. It is VS2003.
>
> Markus

I'll try to get the whole message in this time...

Others have had this problem also.
There was a previous thread on this news group dealing with this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.vsnet.debugging&mid=73c4c741-f142-4cf5-8eac-d370bb6a066e

Here is a summary of some of the key messages in that thread:

-----------------------

locals/watch 3/25/2004 6:04 AM PST

By: Peter L. Kristiansen In: microsoft.public.vsnet.debugging

Hi.

I have Visual Studio.NET 2002 solution that I have converted to Visual
Studio.NET 2003 by opening it in VS2003. After this operation I get
non-visible members/properties when expanding objects in locals/watch. When
I try to expand an object in the locals window nothing happens, the + sign
disappear and nothing else.

It seem to be that solution only, in other solutions I don't have the
problem. Needless to say this is very annoying. Can this be fixed, please?
Do others have the same problem?

BR

Peter L. Kristiansen
-----------------------

Subject: Re: Non-visible members/properties when expanding objects in local
6/11/2004 9:14 AM PST

By: robert naujokas In: microsoft.public.vsnet.debugging

I had the exact same problem with all of the same symtoms. My solution was
simpler. I is 2 Vb.net class libraries and 2 vb.net forms projects. The
projects are referencing a set of 4 custom class library DLLs also created
in VS.NET 2003 and one custom user control DLL created in VS.NET 2003. When
I manually created a new solution and new projects and copied the source
code files over to recreate a copy of the original solution, everything
began to work normally again.

-----------------------

locals/watch 6/23/2004 8:53 AM PST

By: Derek Hutton In: microsoft.public.vsnet.debugging

I had this same problem along with several developers I work with. In our
case, this was caused by empty projects in a solution. The projects included
some references but no code files. To fix the problem, we had to add a empty
class to each of the empty projects.

-----------------------

locals/watch 6/30/2004 1:49 PM PST

By: Dave56 In: microsoft.public.vsnet.debugging

Well I got back from vaction and looked into this.

Derek's solution worked for me.

It took me a while to figure it out though.
One of my asp.net projects only has a web.config file in it.
I didn't consider this to be "empty", but apparently Studio does.

I added a WebForm and set the Build Action to None and the problem is cured.

Thanks to all.

Dave

Subject: Re: Non-visible members/properties when expanding objects in loc
7/2/2004 4:26 AM PST

By: sunnyx In: microsoft.public.vsnet.debugging

Thanks to All!!!. I had the same problem, however, in my case, I had a
solution with 3 projects. One of them it was an empty project which contains
a snk file, but no code or resources was included in. I just put and empty
class inside the empty project, and now I can expand the objects.