physical pc reboots when installing xp on virtual machine

Simmer

Jan 21, 2009, 10:08:04 PM1/21/09
I have a Dell laptop that I just installed virtual PC. I'm trying to install
Windows XP SP2 on the virtual machine. After it loads the drivers and
windows starts my laptop reboots. So can't install XP.

Mark Rae [MVP]

Jan 21, 2009, 10:14:19 PM1/21/09
"Simmer" <Sim...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Firstly, are you absolutely sure that you're installing XP in a virtual
machine and not, unfortunately, on the host by mistake...?

How much RAM did you allocate to the new virtual machine...?

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

Simmer

Jan 22, 2009, 4:07:01 PM1/22/09
Hi Mark,

It is definitely installing on the virtual machine. In the Virtual PC 2007
window I see the drivers load fine, but when it gets to "windows starting"
the laptop reboots.

I used the default settings during the wizard to configure the VM except I
only allocated 30Gb for the virtual Hard drive. The RAM I did not change so
it is set to 128Mb.

I've tried removing and creating another VM and each time when it's
installing XP and it gets to "starting windows" ...reboot of the laptop.

Steve Jain [MVP]

Jan 22, 2009, 4:19:00 PM1/22/09
On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 13:07:01 -0800, Simmer
<Sim...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi Mark,
>
>It is definitely installing on the virtual machine. In the Virtual PC 2007
>window I see the drivers load fine, but when it gets to "windows starting"
>the laptop reboots.
>
>I used the default settings during the wizard to configure the VM except I
>only allocated 30Gb for the virtual Hard drive. The RAM I did not change so
>it is set to 128Mb.
>
>I've tried removing and creating another VM and each time when it's
>installing XP and it gets to "starting windows" ...reboot of the laptop.

Give this a try, disable HW Virtualization in VPC and see if that
works. If it does, then its likely the BIOS implementation of HWV is
bad and look for a BIOS update for your MB.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP

Craig

Apr 19, 2009, 8:27:01 PM4/19/09
Was this issue ever resolved? I think I am having the same issue as you
describe...

Please see "Virtual Guest reboots Host Operating System" in
microsoft.public.virtualpc

Thanks