How to install vpc2007 on xp home

susan

Dec 10, 2006, 1:42:24 PM12/10/06
Hi
I am new to vpc I have been told to put vpc 2007 on as apposed to vcp2004,
as 2004 does not work with dvd image of vista its to big.
When I try to install vcp 2007 it states that says not runninga supported op
system and then closes.
any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sue

Jonathan Maltz [MS-MVP]

Dec 10, 2006, 2:08:22 PM12/10/06

This is a bug with the installer of this build of the VPC 2007 beta. Future
builds should be fixed

A search of the group will reveal an unsupported fix or two, though in
general, VPC on XP Home isn't supported anyhow

--
--Jonathan Maltz [Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - IIS, Virtual PC]
http://www.visualwin.com - A Windows Server 2003 visual, step-by-step

"susan" <susan....@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Theo

Dec 10, 2006, 2:36:08 PM12/10/06

From Steve Jain:

There is currently a bug in the installer that prevents the
installation. You can use ORCA and modify the MSI install
file to
allow the installation. There are one or two threads with the
necessary details here already.

here:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.virtualpc/browse_thread/thread/8e489239bf2645c9/3e134e81e18394ff?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1&hl=en#3e134e81e18394ff

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/y239n2

-- Cheers, Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
http://vpc.essjae.com/ I do not work for Microsoft.

From Bo Bergland:

Since this is a recurring topic I have collected the info
earlier
posted by us...@home.com in this forum.

Step 1, extract the contents of setup.exe:

setup.exe /c /t .\
This will give you Virtual_PC_2007_Install.msi

Step 2, remove the OS check using ORCA:

Use open the Virtual_PC_2007_Install.msi file with ORCA.
In Custom Action drop the row:
CA_CheckIfWeCanInstall

Now the msi file will run on the "impossible" platform.

Bo Berglund
bo.berglund(at)nospam.telia.com

Search for "OS check" for the applicable posts and also "XP
Home"

Theo

Dec 10, 2006, 4:13:00 PM12/10/06
I just went through the whole process and it works.

I have installed VPC 2007 on XP Home and installing another
XP Home in that VPC.

Theo

Dec 11, 2006, 10:18:08 AM12/11/06
I finally managed to get Vista to install in VPC 2007 on XP
Home, but it is not a pleasant experience. Right now it is
the final stages of "Completing installation" but has
already been running for almost 2 hours. If the idea is to
see what Vista is like, VPC on XP Home is definitely not the
way to do it.

The same installation directly to an IDE hard drive only
took about 30 minutes.

Robert Comer

Dec 11, 2006, 10:22:55 AM12/11/06
Just install the additions once Vista comes up and it will be a LOT better.
(Still not fast, but Vista is pretty heavy...)

--
Bob Comer <Microsoft MVP Windows - Virtual Machine>

"Theo" <t...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Steve Jain

Dec 11, 2006, 6:16:20 PM12/11/06
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 10:22:55 -0500, "Robert Comer"
<bobcomer-...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Just install the additions once Vista comes up and it will be a LOT better.
>(Still not fast, but Vista is pretty heavy...)

And get a CPU with hardware virtualization technology.

Robert Comer

Dec 12, 2006, 10:50:08 AM12/12/06
> And get a CPU with hardware virtualization technology.

Yep!

--

"Steve Jain" <noreply.-@-.essjae.com> wrote in message