cluster server

anon...@discussions.microsoft.com

Jun 2, 2004, 3:04:29 AM6/2/04
Is it possible to install 2 nodes culster server on VPC
2004?

Regards
Chris

Scott Baker

Jun 2, 2004, 3:24:27 AM6/2/04
No, it isn't. Someone did come up with a method for installing a
one-node cluster, but it took some tweaking. Use Google to search old
postings in this newsgroup if you're interested.

Scott

zdzichu

Jun 2, 2004, 6:43:21 AM6/2/04
Yes, it is possible. You could use wintarget from stringbeansoftware to
build 2 nodes cluster server using ISCSI solution.

Zdzichu.

"Scott Baker" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

VPC Newbie

Jun 2, 2004, 10:21:47 AM6/2/04
How to do so? Can you explain more?

>.

Steve Jain

Jun 2, 2004, 3:21:40 PM6/2/04
Have you done it?

Steve Jain, Microsoft MVP for Virtual PC for Windows
Website: http://www.essjae.com
*** All posts are provided AS-IS, no warranty, no QoS ***

Benjamin Armstrong [MSFT]

Jun 2, 2004, 3:38:36 PM6/2/04
I haven't 'done it' but I have seen it working.

--
Cheers,
Benjamin Armstrong

You assume all risk for your use.

"Steve Jain" <essj...@Spam-hotmail.com> wrote in message

zdzichu

Jun 3, 2004, 3:03:30 AM6/3/04
The procedure is as follows:

1. Download wintarget trial from http://www.stringbeansoftware.com
2. Download iscsi initiator from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=12cb3c1a-15d6-4585-b385-befd1319f825&displaylang=en
3. create guest machine with 2 virtual disks
4. install and configure it to be a dc for cluser domain. Create and format
partition on second drive. It will be our shared disk
5. Install wintarget on dc
6. create and install another virtual machine. It will be node1 of our VPC
cluster
7. add it to domain created in step 4
8. install iscsi initiator on it
9. repeat steps 6-8 for node2
10. On node1 and node2 run iscsi initiator and add target portals
11. Run wintarget management console, create new win target disk pointing to
second virtual drive
12. add both node1 and node2 initiators that will be using that drive
13. turn off node2
14. run iscsi initiator, point to available targets select one, press logon
and check "automatically restor..."
15. run computer management select disk management initialize wintarget
disk, create partition, format and assign Q letter to it
16. shut down node1 and run node2
17. run iscsi initiator, point to available targets select one, press logon
and check "automatically restor..."
18. run computer management select disk management and change wintarget
partition letter to Q.
19. turn off node2 and run node1 again
20. run cluster administrator and create new cluster
21. turn on node2 run cluster administrator and join to the cluster
22. test failover

Cheers,

Zdzichu

"Benjamin Armstrong [MSFT]" <ben...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Paul Lynch

Jun 3, 2004, 5:01:17 AM6/3/04
On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 00:24:27 -0700, "Scott Baker"
<anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>No, it isn't. Someone did come up with a method for installing a
>one-node cluster, but it took some tweaking. Use Google to search old
>postings in this newsgroup if you're interested.
>
>Scott

You can create a single node cluster for test purposes using the
"-localquorum" switch.

It doesn't require any 'tweaking' as such, but there are some caveats
and limitations that you need to be aware of. In clustering terms (not
VPC terms of course) it is actually a supported configuration.

INFO: Use the "-localquorum" Switch to Install a Single-Node MSCS
Cluster
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q245626&

Regards,

Paul Lynch
MCSE

Paul Lynch

Jun 3, 2004, 5:04:32 AM6/3/04
On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 12:38:36 -0700, "Benjamin Armstrong [MSFT]"
<ben...@online.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I haven't 'done it' but I have seen it working.

In case anyone is interested there is some useful information here :

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/storage/technologies/iscsi/iscsicluster.mspx

Regards,

Paul Lynch
MCSE

Scott Baker

Jun 3, 2004, 10:54:57 AM6/3/04
Thanks for the info Paul.

Scott

>.

Paul Lynch

Jun 5, 2004, 10:13:43 AM6/5/04
On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 07:54:57 -0700, "Scott Baker"
<anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the info Paul.
>
>Scott

When I can scrape together some extra cash I'm going to shove some
extra RAM and disk into this machine and try out the ISCSI clustering
solution proposed in the other post by Zdzichu - just for the hell of
it of course ;-)

Regards,

Paul Lynch
MCSE

Scott Baker

Jun 5, 2004, 2:29:32 PM6/5/04
I've got the hardware, just not the time to try it right now. It's
always something...

Scott

Scott Baker

Jun 5, 2004, 2:29:47 PM6/5/04