MFC Golmine site updated http://mfcgoldmine.by.ru/index.html

1 view

Labyrinth

Dec 29, 2008, 11:03:21 PM12/29/08
MFC Goldmine site updated.

http://mfcgoldmine.by.ru/index.html

It contains over 50k of articles on C++, MFC and VC in 50+
categories on all topics,
including code snippets, examples and expert views and opinions.

Site is indexed by Google, so you can find anything you can
imagine within seconds.

Do advanced search and specify site:mfcgoldmine.by.ru

If you add enough keywords, you can precisely zoom-in on
an issue you are looking for.

Example query:

Query:

"abstract class" interface OR inheritance OR polymorphism
site:javagoldmine.by.ru

all these words:

this exact wording or phrase: abstract class

one or more of these words: interface inheritance polymorphism

Search within a site or domain: mfcgoldmine.by.ru

Also, JavaGoldmine is at http://javagoldmine.by.ru/inde.html

Labyrinth

Dec 30, 2008, 11:02:14 PM12/30/08
In article <gjc6i2$c5b$1...@news.albasani.net>, en...@exit.here (Labyrinth) wrote:
>MFC Goldmine site updated.
>
> http://mfcgoldmine.by.ru/index.html

Note:

JavaGoldmine (http://mfcgoldmine.by.ru/index.html)
and MFCGoldmine (http://mfcgoldmine.by.ru/index.html)
[contains C#, C++, VC and MFC equivalent of javagoldmine]

are temporarily off line since 9:00 GMT on december 30, 2008.

Should be back on line soon...

But it's a New Year after all :--}

Brian Muth

Dec 31, 2008, 6:30:55 PM12/31/08
This site sucks. Don't go there. If you do, make sure your "shields are up".

Jonathan Wood

Dec 31, 2008, 7:11:58 PM12/31/08
"Brian Muth" <bm...@mvps.org> wrote in message

> This site sucks. Don't go there. If you do, make sure your "shields are
> up".

I tried it earlier and don't want to try again. This post really has no
business here.

Still, I'm curious as to why you say it sucks.

--
Jonathan Wood
SoftCircuits Programming

Labyrinth

Jan 1, 2009, 9:55:10 PM1/1/09
In article <gjc6i2$c5b$1...@news.albasani.net>, en...@exit.here (Labyrinth) wrote:
>MFC Goldmine site updated.

JavaGoldmine and MFCGoldmine are back on line.

MFCGoldmine - http://mfcgoldmine.by.ru/index.html
JavaGoldmine - http://javagoldmine.by.ru/index.html

Have fun.

Labyrinth

Jan 1, 2009, 9:58:14 PM1/1/09
In article <u$$YUW6aJ...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, "Jonathan Wood" <jw...@softcircuits.com> wrote:
>"Brian Muth" <bm...@mvps.org> wrote in message
>
>> This site sucks. Don't go there. If you do, make sure your "shields are
>> up".
>
>I tried it earlier and don't want to try again. This post really has no
>business here.

Who do you think you are, donkeyass
to decide what belongs to where?

Are you a hotshot by ANY chance?

I like those.

Fer breakfast.

Labyrinth

Jan 1, 2009, 10:12:15 PM1/1/09
In article <uvGpU$5aJHA...@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>, "Brian Muth" <bm...@mvps.org> wrote:

>This site sucks. Don't go there. If you do, make sure your "shields are up".

Yep, seen PLENTY of your kind.
The same stroke,
the same violent and bastardly talk,
the same rotten mind.

The suckers of YOUR kind
are there to spill poison.
They always look into the plates of others
when they eat.

Nothing makes them "happier" than to create
something rootten, to destroy something,
to insult someone, to twist and pervert it,
put it upside down, poke their rotten nose
into affairs of others.

But...

What they have to say is nothing more than
a hissing sound. Because there is just no
substance to it. There is no meat, and their
balls are of the size of a mosquito,
even though they pump their chests
like Alexander Da Great, Napoleon or Adolph Hitler.

Quesion: Why did you remove the original message,
mr. donkeyass?

Do you ALWAYS do these kinds of rotten things?

No problem, it is restored at the end of my reply.
You see, mr. smart, people have to see the CONTEXT
in which you say certain things, especially if you,
lil chicken shit impersonator, make rotten statements
like you do. Otherwise they don't even know what are
you talking about. You removed the ENTIRE nessage
and only left YOUR crap, and even to call it crap
is a compliment.

Well, tellya one thingy, mr. big gun,
I don't recall seeing anyone later
that sucks better then you.

I bet you can't write a hello world program
without making a bug.

Because you monkey logic is broken, you see.

You can't just make these kind of statements
without substantiating them.

Clear enough?

And I bet my dead spider balls you can't make
a site as good in your entire lifetime.

Keep sucking. Afterall, what ELSE to do in life, right?

:--}

Original post:

JavaGoldmine site updated.

http://javagoldmine.by.ru/index.html

It contains over 50k articles in 50+ categories on all Java topics,

including code snippets, examples and expert views and opinions.

Site is indexed by Google, so you can find anything you can
imagine within seconds.

Do advanced search and specify site:javagoldmine.by.ru

If you add enough keywords, you can precisely zoom-in on
an issue you are looking for.

Example query:

Query:

"abstract class" interface OR inheritance OR polymorphism
site:javagoldmine.by.ru

all these words:

this exact wording or phrase: abstract class

one or more of these words: interface inheritance polymorphism

Search within a site or domain: javagoldmine.by.ru

Labyrinth

Jan 1, 2009, 10:31:09 PM1/1/09
In article <gjeqrq$jcr$1...@news.albasani.net>, en...@exit.here (Labyrinth) wrote:
>In article <gjc6i2$c5b$1...@news.albasani.net>, en...@exit.here (Labyrinth) wrote:

>>MFC Goldmine site updated.

>> http://mfcgoldmine.by.ru/index.html

JavaGoldmine and MFCGoldmine are back on line.

Have fun.

>Note:

David Ching

Jan 2, 2009, 12:53:24 AM1/2/09
"Jonathan Wood" <jw...@softcircuits.com> wrote in message

> "Brian Muth" <bm...@mvps.org> wrote in message
>
>> This site sucks. Don't go there. If you do, make sure your "shields are
>> up".
>
> I tried it earlier and don't want to try again. This post really has no
> business here.
>
> Still, I'm curious as to why you say it sucks.

Harsh, guys. I like the site. It highlights high value posts from
newsgroups and lets your browse through them. Randomly picking some topics
is like browsing through Raymond Chen's OldNewThing blog. Learn something
new with a few clicks. You can also search with google amongst the high
value posts, so your results will be more relevant than just searching the
newsgroup overall.

I have removed
comp.lang.c,comp.lang.c++,microsoft.public.win32.programmer.kernel from this
response since the site is named MFC Goldmine sites and seems off-topic for
those newsgroups.

-- David

Richard Heathfield

Jan 2, 2009, 1:15:43 AM1/2/09
Labyrinth said:

<snip>

> even though they pump their chests
> like Alexander Da Great, Napoleon or Adolph Hitler.

Godwin's Law applies - you just lost your argument.

> Quesion: Why did you remove the original message,

Um, my server still carries it, so clearly he didn't do that.

For the record, its message ID is: <gjc6i2$c5b$1...@news.albasani.net>
and, even if your server no longer carries it, you can find it in
Google's archives at this address:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.vc.mfc/browse_thread/thread/cd8333fd25b20df2?q=#0c035aaab1f308f7

(Your newsreader might wrap that line, in which case you'll need to
unwrap it yourself.)

Email: -http://www. +rjh@

Jonathan Wood

Jan 2, 2009, 1:35:21 AM1/2/09
"Labyrinth" <en...@exit.here> wrote in message

>>> This site sucks. Don't go there. If you do, make sure your "shields are
>>> up".
>>
>>I tried it earlier and don't want to try again. This post really has no
>>business here.
>
> Who do you think you are, donkeyass
> to decide what belongs to where?
>
> Are you a hotshot by ANY chance?
>
> I like those.
>
> Fer breakfast.
>
>>Still, I'm curious as to why you say it sucks.

Ah, a lightweight. Carry on...

Jonathan

Jonathan Wood

Jan 2, 2009, 1:37:55 AM1/2/09
"David Ching" <d...@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Jonathan Wood" <jw...@softcircuits.com> wrote in message
>> "Brian Muth" <bm...@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>
>>> This site sucks. Don't go there. If you do, make sure your "shields are
>>> up".
>>
>> I tried it earlier and don't want to try again. This post really has no
>> business here.
>>
>> Still, I'm curious as to why you say it sucks.
>>

> Harsh, guys.

Harsh? All I said as that I was unable to access it but didn't feel this was
the place for posts of that nature. And then I asked why someone else said
the site sucked.

For that, Babyrinth just about laid an egg.

Sheesh.

Jonathan

Labyrinth

Jan 2, 2009, 6:06:52 AM1/2/09
In article <262705DD-4332-4C03...@microsoft.com>, "David Ching" <d...@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote:
>"Jonathan Wood" <jw...@softcircuits.com> wrote in message
>> "Brian Muth" <bm...@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>
>>> This site sucks. Don't go there. If you do, make sure your "shields are
>>> up".

Btw, talking about what sucks, both JavaGoldmine and MFCGoldmine
are in top 50 sites on one of the most reliable web counters,
Motigo. Mind you, these counter always start with 0 and you
can not start them at any other value, nor can you modify
the counts in the future or anything like that.

Here is the link to see for yourself:

http://webstats.motigo.com/catalogue/top1000?id=4584891&country=UA

There are different counters used on that site.

So it is more than one.

At this moment, 2 java and 1 MFC/C/C++ counters are:

Java 1: position 15
Java 2: position 20
MFC: position 46

And that is out of more than a million sites they count.

Does it tell you ANYTHING, mr. smart?

>> I tried it earlier and don't want to try again. This post really has no
>> business here.
>>
>> Still, I'm curious as to why you say it sucks.
>>

>Harsh, guys. I like the site. It highlights high value posts from
>newsgroups and lets your browse through them. Randomly picking some topics
>is like browsing through Raymond Chen's OldNewThing blog. Learn something
>new with a few clicks. You can also search with google amongst the high
>value posts, so your results will be more relevant than just searching the
>newsgroup overall.
>
>I have removed
>comp.lang.c,comp.lang.c++,microsoft.public.win32.programmer.kernel from this
>response since the site is named MFC Goldmine sites and seems off-topic for
>those newsgroups.

Sorry, I have to put some of them back because the information
provided IS appropriate on those groups and I have a pretty good
idea what is appropriate and what is not.

:--}

>-- David

Labyrinth

Jan 2, 2009, 6:26:35 AM1/2/09
In article <ujX$pSKbJH...@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, "Jonathan Wood" <jw...@softcircuits.com> wrote:
>"David Ching" <d...@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>> "Jonathan Wood" <jw...@softcircuits.com> wrote in message
>>> "Brian Muth" <bm...@mvps.org> wrote in message

>>> I tried it earlier and don't want to try again. This post really has no
>>> business here.
>>>
>>> Still, I'm curious as to why you say it sucks.
>>>

>> Harsh, guys.
>
>Harsh? All I said as that I was unable to access it

That's not what you said if I recall.

But you can access it now. It was off for several hours.
New Year's time.

As far as information goes on that site, if you realized
how much work went into building the most sophisticated
filters you have ever heard of and how much care went into
writing tools and selecting the topics, exact filters, etc.,
your scull may crack.

Btw, I'd like to ask the opinion about who you consider to
be experts around here. I did look at some stuff and generally
chose quite a few MVC guys for filtering in. Filters can filter
on anything you can imagine in your wilderst dreams, and a 5 year
old kid can build filters in few seconds, using simpliest GUI
type of parameter entry that, regular expression experts would
crack their scull to make an equivalent of this filter with
regular expressions, and even if he can do it, he won't be
able to understand what it says in a couple of days.

I hope you can appreciate this.

Now, when I talk about "experts", I mean someone who knows
what he is talking about on certain subjects. He does not
have to be god. He just have to completely understand the
subject.

If you can post a list of those guys, that would be appreciated.

Because THEIR knowledge WILL be protected and passed around.

Also, please take your time writing quality posts and
do proper formatting, so it looks good in archives.

I'll make it look so pretty, you won't recognize yourself
in the mirror. Plus a totally new GUI aspect is coming in
shortly. It will be wiki based. Heard of MoinMoin, written
in Python?

Check it out. Very nice system. It'll help you to get organized
with your own knowledge and get rid of all those bits and pieces
of information you probably have all over.

http://moinmo.in

You can install multiple wikis and automatically configure
everything in a couple of minutes.

Here's the link for you:

http://moinmo.in/GennadyKalmykov/MyHelpOnInstallingWindowsAutomaticWikifarm

at the bottom of:

http://moinmo.in/GennadyKalmykov

there is a list of things that may get you inspired,
if you are into creative things.

Also, programmers are quite welcome on that wiki.
Quite a few programmers are participating on that project.

Plus, once you are as hot, as you probably claim you are,
why not join the ProgrammersGoldmine project.

JavaGoldmine, MFCGoldmine are just early birds.

CPPGoldmine is basically ready. Would be nice to comb it up
and polish it so it shines for the dudes of your grade and kind.

We need good experienced programmers in Java, C++ and Python.

There are few interesting things in the pipeline.

You do a good job, you won't regret the results...

Oki, doki, that'd be sufficient for now.

Have a good time everybody.

Labyrinth

Jan 2, 2009, 6:38:52 AM1/2/09

Hi, Jonathan.

If you understand the subtle points of information
as such, you could drop your two cents in.

That is "official" invitation.

And so is everybody, who is good,
and by "good" I mean Silicon Valley level,
and even that is not enough.

But...

The good news is that all that is required is understnding
systems and information. All otehr technical aspects we can
work out. You'd be doing what you like, and the ideas will
be thrown on the table for you to pick up, or not to pick
up. No hard feelings. But, you'd better write a clean code
that is well commented and EASILY expandable within minutes.
These are the basic things.

As to the Usenet writing style, you may wish to review
this article on velocityreviews:

http://www.velocityreviews.
com/forums/t628208-java-goldmine-site-httpjavagoldminebyruindexhtml.html

Richard Tobin

Jan 2, 2009, 6:57:00 AM1/2/09
In article <gjjvme$rfg$3...@news.albasani.net>, Labyrinth <en...@exit.here> wrote:

>MFCGoldmine - http://xxx.ru/index.html
>JavaGoldmine - http://xxx.ru/index.html

I'd think very carefully before going to any site with an "ru" domain.

-- Richard

Labyrinth

Jan 2, 2009, 6:56:33 AM1/2/09
In article <Zqidnc8gWoZdMsDU...@bt.com>, r...@see.sig.invalid wrote:
>Labyrinth said:
>
><snip>
>
>> even though they pump their chests
>> like Alexander Da Great, Napoleon or Adolph Hitler.
>
>Godwin's Law applies - you just lost your argument.

First of all, I have no argument.
I am too busy for that stuff.
You can aruge here all day long, till your nose goes blue.
Doesn't matter to me.

Just don't get nasty. That is humble suggestion.

Secondly, I really don't like to deal with people,
who live by somebody elses templates, and brain washing
one liners of "Goodwin" type.

Who is this goodwin?
A god?
All knowing?
Omni-potent?
Omni-scient?

Is he some kind of authority for the fools of your kind?

Well, for me, he isn't an authority of ANY kind.
Just an amoeba level biorobot, brainwashed to oblivion.

Why do you cite such an idiot?

You like idiotic things having no substance?

You live by the principle of one liners,
where everage sentence lengthe is 4 words
and an average word length is 4 letters?

If so, may I humbly suggest to find something better
to do in your life. Something that makes you enjoy it.

You communicate in buzzwords?

:--}

Do you REALLY have ANYTHING to say?
and I mean ANYTHING of ANY value?

>> Quesion: Why did you remove the original message,

>Um, my server still carries it, so clearly he didn't do that.

Cunning.

When people read the post, they may not be even aware
what was that post was following on.

Basically, there are kinds of people that do this rotten
thing of removing ANYTHING of substance and then rave on
with their "cryticism" crap.

Because they are basically cowards,
gutless cowards,
that pervert, distort, twist it around,
and put things upside down.

You say: yes

THEY say: not

Whatever you say, they are going to negate and deny.

Now, where IS your "argument".
So far, I don't see ANY.

Can you clean up that "dimly lit kerosine lamp
between your ears"?

>For the record, its message ID is: <gjc6i2$c5b$1...@news.albasani.net>
>and, even if your server no longer carries it, you can find it in
>Google's archives at this address:

I am not talking about records.

I want to see the post in CONTEXT.

Now, imagine your technical post, by some magic power,
ends up on one of Goldmine collections, just because
you said something that semi-makes sense, or wrote
some code snippet.

When another smart dude of your kind looks at it,
he does not even know what are you talking about.

You'd probably remove some declarations, functions
and methods, variables, structures from the original
source code, and the whole thing just no longer makes
ANY sense.

How do you like THAT kwality of informationz?

Just look at the way I write the posts.
Simple, really.

Lines are short. Paragraphs are short.
Everything is clearly separated into separate blips
of information, contained withing one block or paragraph.

There is plenty of white space so it does not look
like one blob of something, no one is going to even
bother reading.

I never use tabs.

I NEVER remove ANYTNG from the post I am replying to.
Because WHAT I am replying to must be kept in original
form.

THAT is what quality information is about,
and there are quite a few other things that make
your life easier, more pleasant and joyful.

Because it is an expression of creativity,
forever unfolding.

It is an orgasmic feeling about life, who you are,
what you are doing, and every bit of it.

Would you like to finally have some JOY in your life?

How long are you going to suffer for?

Ok, that's enough for this one.

>http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.vc.mfc/browse_thread/thread/c

Labyrinth

Jan 2, 2009, 7:05:01 AM1/2/09
In article <gjkvec$2d9$1...@pc-news.cogsci.ed.ac.uk>, ric...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) wrote:
>In article <gjjvme$rfg$3...@news.albasani.net>, Labyrinth <en...@exit.here> wrote:
>
>>MFCGoldmine - http://xxx.ru/index.html
>>JavaGoldmine - http://xxx.ru/index.html
>
>I'd think very carefully before going to any site with an "ru" domain.

:--}

Well, you don't have to worry about this one.
If something EVER happens to it, I'll be here warning you.

Btw, the site is going to move to a different place.
It is kinda problem. Because it is indexed by all sorts
of places and it takes months for a new site to percolate
all the Googles and Yahoos.

The ONLY thing on that site is the traffic counters.
Yes, they are provided by the inbdependent counter vendor.
But it is a reliable vendor with the highest standards
of doing business, at least from what I know about them,
and I know them for quite a while. Never had a single
problem with them.

These counters are running on independent site,
that NEVER allows fiddling with counters and NEVER
start counters with any value > 0.

And those things are important.

But, you don't have to go to that site.

Noone is forcing you. Except, within a couple of months,
your level of expertise is going to go up there, and
so will your salary with the next review.

You KNOW what I mean, don't you?

:--}

>-- Richard

Labyrinth

Jan 2, 2009, 7:07:48 AM1/2/09

Again the buzzowrds and one liners,
UTTERLY devoid of any meaning?

I bet you are writting the buggiest code there is,
so sloppy is your "arguments". Actually, I do not
see a SINGLE argument woth of of anything of any value.

What do you have to say, really?

What do you want?

What would make you happy?

What would turn on that light within you,
so you jump in extacy of life?

Do you know?

>Jonathan

Labyrinth

Jan 2, 2009, 7:15:12 AM1/2/09
In article <gjkvtd$29b$2...@news.albasani.net>, en...@exit.here (Labyrinth) wrote:
>In article <gjkvec$2d9$1...@pc-news.cogsci.ed.ac.uk>, ric...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk
> (Richard Tobin) wrote:
>>In article <gjjvme$rfg$3...@news.albasani.net>, Labyrinth <en...@exit.here>
> wrote:
>>
>>>MFCGoldmine - http://xxx.ru/index.html
>>>JavaGoldmine - http://xxx.ru/index.html
>>
>>I'd think very carefully before going to any site with an "ru" domain.
>
>:--}
>
>Well, you don't have to worry about this one.
>If something EVER happens to it, I'll be here warning you.
>
>Btw, the site is going to move to a different place.
>It is kinda problem. Because it is indexed by all sorts
>of places and it takes months for a new site to percolate
>all the Googles and Yahoos.
>
>The ONLY thing on that site is the traffic counters.

written in Javascript by the counter vendor.

If you take the counters code out, the browsers would
never even warn you about "potentially harmful code".

Because the rest of it is pure HTML,
and those counters can not be removed.
ANY way you cut it, the counters must be located
at independent and reliable outsite party.

Simple as that.

pete

Jan 2, 2009, 8:49:25 AM1/2/09
Labyrinth wrote:

> At this moment, 2 java and 1 MFC/C/C++ counters are:
>
> Java 1: position 15
> Java 2: position 20
> MFC: position 46
>
> And that is out of more than a million sites they count.
>
> Does it tell you ANYTHING, mr. smart?

There's nothing about C there.

--
pete

David Ching

Jan 2, 2009, 9:47:34 AM1/2/09

> I bet you are writting the buggiest code there is,
> so sloppy is your "arguments". Actually, I do not
> see a SINGLE argument woth of of anything of any value.

Heh, Jonathan is one of the "experts" here whom you should definitely filter
in on your website.

-- David

David Ching

Jan 2, 2009, 9:51:16 AM1/2/09

>>> I tried it earlier and don't want to try again. This post really has no
>>> business here.
>>>
>>> Still, I'm curious as to why you say it sucks.
>>>

>> Harsh, guys.
>
> Harsh? All I said as that I was unable to access it but didn't feel this
> was the place for posts of that nature. And then I asked why someone else
> said the site sucked.
>
> For that, Babyrinth just about laid an egg.
>
> Sheesh.
>
> Jonathan

Sorry, I did not infer your meaning that you hadn't even seen the site. I'm
curious why you wouldn't want to try it again if you hadn't seen it. Anyway
the announcement of useful web resources is definitely on topic for a group
like this.

Yeah, he did lay an egg which is not good PR and not recommended.

-- David

Labyrinth

Jan 2, 2009, 10:17:32 AM1/2/09

Hey, thanx.

I'll take your word for it now and make sure he is on the expert
list. They are filtered on From: header plus the issues, plus
some other things.

Lemme see my list here.
Nope, he is not on da lits.
Is that why he is pissed?
He saw the expert categories, but did not find himself
in there?

:--}

Wow. That bites. I can comprehend that.

So, I'll put him on the lits and he'll probably appear
on the brand new look and feel and you name it.

It is going to run under MoinMoin http://moinmo.in

It is going to be wiki based with ALL sorts of bells
and whistles. I am already salivating myself.
Did some manual markup testing for NNTP articles.
Look real good. But I am just to busy to drop a few
lines of code in so it runs programmatically.

Can you recommend other guys, who know what they are talking
about? Agaom, term "expert" is used loosely. I had a few guys
on JavaGoldmine taken out. But when I saw some of the posts,
I decided it is worth it.

First of all, some people are really helpful.
Thee describe things in a more or less complete fasion.
So, even though you could say "wall, he is not that great
of an expert", but he can deliver a message, putting all
the energy he has into it. The end result, the information
is MUCH more helpful even though he might be not as good
on the deepest levels, such as multithreading, synchronization
and some other things. But I'd rather let people decide,
instead of missing his information. If someone is not that
impressed, they know how to push the next button.

Last few years I am doing Java mostly.
So, I don't participate or even watch these groups.
Java kinda intense trip. Takes a while to get into nuts
and bolts of it.

Garbage collector is really cool. Don't have to worry
about delete or free.

Built-in GUI - cool. No platform dependency and you are
guaranteed the exact same classes and methods would work
on any platform.

Threads, built right into "language", actually JVM,
are real cool.

Language is really rich. There is so much built right in,
such as Collections (lists, maps, trees, sets, etc.)
are real good. Plus there are several sorting algorithms
built right into language.

There are some other REALLY nice things about it,
and there are some things that suck big time,
just like with anything else.

>-- David

Labyrinth

Jan 2, 2009, 10:28:15 AM1/2/09
In article <FCD44E88-E90E-4969...@microsoft.com>, "David Ching" <d...@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote:
>"Jonathan Wood" <jw...@softcircuits.com> wrote in message

>>> Harsh, guys.
>>
>> Harsh? All I said as that I was unable to access it but didn't feel this
>> was the place for posts of that nature. And then I asked why someone else
>> said the site sucked.
>>
>> For that, Babyrinth just about laid an egg.

:--}

I just don't like the smart farts without substance,
making all these sucking sounds. Take it easy.

I am doing about 10 different things, have about 30
browser tabs open, about 20 text documents, development
environment is up, major network operations are in progress,
CPU is tied up to the hilt with humongous archives processing.
How would you like to run comlicated filtering operation
on an archive with over 100k articles in it and the archive
size of about 300 megs on average? And you have to process
about 100 configurations, each of which requires a pass
through entire file, full blown parsing, multi-stage filtering,
and you name it.

About the LAST thing I like to see in that case is some
smart fart running his mouth about something he has no clue
about and making insulting statements based on nothing,
but pure grade horseshit, and of the lowest grade at that.

Not a SINGLE specific argument besides posing as some big
gun. Oh yeah?

:--}

I am not sure he can get a job at macdonalds in da silicon valley.

>> Sheesh.
>>
>> Jonathan

>Sorry, I did not infer your meaning that you hadn't even seen the site. I'm
>curious why you wouldn't want to try it again if you hadn't seen it. Anyway
>the announcement of useful web resources is definitely on topic for a group
>like this.

>Yeah, he did lay an egg which is not good PR and not recommended.

I don't care about PR. I care for THAT, WHICH IS.

The Truth.

The rest I am not interested in.
Just don't cross my path with such intensions.

Some of those "experts" of the highest caliber you can find
had to dance on a skillet like cockroaches, with full heat
on. Baby, you screw around too much and there comes the time
when you get what is called "full service", and trust me,
you don't want to get it in the BEST days of your life.

:--}

Good empigj...

>-- David

Jonathan Wood

Jan 2, 2009, 11:19:35 AM1/2/09
"Labyrinth" <en...@exit.here> wrote in message

>>Ah, a lightweight. Carry on...
>
> Again the buzzowrds and one liners,
> UTTERLY devoid of any meaning?

Just to clarify, there were points of information in my original post in
this thread. But your response to my post had absolutely none! In fact, it
even seemed confused about who said what. So, yes, my response to that
thread did not have anything meaningful.

Some of your comments even suggested you wanted to threaten me. Well, I'm in
Utah bud--and I can take care of myself if you want to come out.

Other than that, if you want to promote your site, I suggest you improve
your skills at handling criticism--of which none initially came from me!
Otherwise, you'll put people off. I'm not interested in retrying your site.
And I'm done with this thread.

Jonathan

Jonathan Wood

Jan 2, 2009, 11:27:27 AM1/2/09

> Sorry, I did not infer your meaning that you hadn't even seen the site.
> I'm curious why you wouldn't want to try it again if you hadn't seen it.
> Anyway the announcement of useful web resources is definitely on topic for
> a group like this.

I *haven't* even seen the site. I tried but failed, and now I'm no longer
interested given the content of this thread.

I'm a little confused by some of the posts. Is it harsh that I was unable to
access the site? Is it harsh that I suggested this forum might not be the
place to promote sites? Or was it harsh that I asked someone else why that
said the site sucked? I'm being sincere as I honestly don't know.

At any rate, I'm kind of done with this thread. I'm just a bit surprised by
the replies I got. They just didn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Sorry to the extent it is me.

Jonathan

David Ching

Jan 2, 2009, 11:57:56 AM1/2/09

> I *haven't* even seen the site. I tried but failed, and now I'm no longer
> interested given the content of this thread.
>
> I'm a little confused by some of the posts. Is it harsh that I was unable
> to access the site? Is it harsh that I suggested this forum might not be
> the place to promote sites? Or was it harsh that I asked someone else why
> that said the site sucked? I'm being sincere as I honestly don't know.
>
> At any rate, I'm kind of done with this thread. I'm just a bit surprised
> by the replies I got. They just didn't seem to make a lot of sense.
>
> Sorry to the extent it is me.

Sure Jonathan, all that's understandable. I misread what you meant. I
thought you said you had seen it and weren't interested in seeing it again
(on the basis of what you had already seen), and it was spamming the
newsgroup to announce such a crappy site. Obviously that is not what you
meant.

I like you blog, btw. Happy New Year.

-- David

David Ching

Jan 2, 2009, 12:01:46 PM1/2/09

> I don't care about PR. I care for THAT, WHICH IS.
>
> The Truth.
>
> The rest I am not interested in.
> Just don't cross my path with such intensions.
>
> Some of those "experts" of the highest caliber you can find
> had to dance on a skillet like cockroaches, with full heat
> on. Baby, you screw around too much and there comes the time
> when you get what is called "full service", and trust me,
> you don't want to get it in the BEST days of your life.
>
> :--}
>
> Good empigj...

I sincerely wish you success with your websites. I have observed that
people with good technical skills but lacking human and business savvy are
not around for very long. A very wise man (or maybe it was a woman?) once
said, "Honey attracts more flies than vinegar." You don't have to
personally like your customers, but you do need them as customers. So be
nice.

-- David

Giovanni Dicanio

Jan 2, 2009, 4:30:58 PM1/2/09
David Ching wrote:

> A very wise man (or maybe it was a
> woman?) once said, "Honey attracts more flies than vinegar."

I think he was San Francesco di Sales.
Don Bosco cited that sentence often:
«Si prendono più mosche con un piatto di miele che con un barile di
aceto» (MB, 14, 514)

http://www.elledici.org/don_bosco/su_don_bosco.php

David Ching

Jan 2, 2009, 4:41:34 PM1/2/09
"Giovanni Dicanio" <giovanniD...@REMOVEMEgmail.com> wrote in message

> I think he was San Francesco di Sales.
> Don Bosco cited that sentence often:
> «Si prendono più mosche con un piatto di miele che con un barile di aceto»
> (MB, 14, 514)
>
> http://www.elledici.org/don_bosco/su_don_bosco.php

Thanks G! See, it pays to be Italian and not always English-native
speaking! :-)

-- David

Labyrinth

Jan 2, 2009, 7:21:56 PM1/2/09
In article <OO8XoXPb...@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, "Jonathan Wood" <jw...@softcircuits.com> wrote:
>"Labyrinth" <en...@exit.here> wrote in message
>
>>>Ah, a lightweight. Carry on...
>>
>> Again the buzzowrds and one liners,
>> UTTERLY devoid of any meaning?
>
>Just to clarify, there were points of information in my original post in
>this thread. But your response to my post had absolutely none! In fact, it
>even seemed confused about who said what. So, yes, my response to that
>thread did not have anything meaningful.
>
>Some of your comments even suggested you wanted to threaten me.

Wut?

Are you serious?

>Well, I'm in
>Utah bud--and I can take care of myself if you want to come out.

Well, poor you, if these are the kinds of thoughts you have
in your mind.

I thought you are an expert, but you seem to talk like a bully.

Where's that lits!

>Other than that, if you want to promote your site, I suggest you improve
>your skills at handling criticism--of which none initially came from me!

My friend (:--}), get down to business, willya?
I just have no time to waste on idle chatter, blame,
and especially "threat" related blubber, which is nothing
but loonacy to me.

Do you have the SPECIFIC, point by point issues you wish
to present?

What is the very substance of your claims?

>Otherwise, you'll put people off. I'm not interested in retrying your site.
>And I'm done with this thread.

:--}

You must be da real "expert" then.

Zo, da lits is handy. All it takes is one semicolon.

See ya.
>Jonathan

Labyrinth

Jan 2, 2009, 7:46:26 PM1/2/09
In article <OTbfBcPb...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, "Jonathan Wood" <jw...@softcircuits.com> wrote:
>"David Ching" <d...@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>> Sorry, I did not infer your meaning that you hadn't even seen the site.
>> I'm curious why you wouldn't want to try it again if you hadn't seen it.
>> Anyway the announcement of useful web resources is definitely on topic for
>> a group like this.
>
>I *haven't* even seen the site. I tried but failed, and now I'm no longer
>interested given the content of this thread.
>
>I'm a little confused by some of the posts. Is it harsh that I was unable to
>access the site?

That is not what you said in your original post.

Here:
================= Quote begin =========================
From: "Jonathan Wood" <jw...@softcircuits.com>
Subject: Re: MFC Golmine site updated
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 17:11:58 -0700

"Brian Muth" <bm...@mvps.org> wrote in message

> This site sucks. Don't go there. If you do, make sure your "shields are
> up".

I tried it earlier and don't want to try again. This post really has no
business here.

Still, I'm curious as to why you say it sucks.

================== Quote end ==========================

Where does it say that you were UNABLE to access that site?

Yes, site was off for several hours. That happens, especially
around holidays and weekends. What else is new under the sun?

>Is it harsh that I suggested this forum might not be the
>place to promote sites?

On what basis?

The site is "right on the money" here.

Are you a local censor here, who decides what IS
"appropriate" and what is not here?

Do you realize that you are nothing more than a collection
of ASCII characters in virtual domwin.

You don't own this group.
Nobody authorized you the make claims for others,
and saying what you said is making claims for others.

About ALL you have is YOUR personal opinion.

But you know what is about the best rule on this subject is?

"If you don't like something, don't read it, don't folow up
on it, and just forget about it".

-- Russ Allbery

You know who Russ Allbery is?

Guess.

And you know what it means when he says something?

Btw, he is the maintainer of INN server, if you know
what it means.

Because if you don't like something and start running
your mealy mouth, condemning other people, then what
do you expect them to do?

Shoot you between your eyes like they do in Utah?

Is THAT your level of menthality?

If someone behaved like you in some bar in Utah,
what do you expect as a result?

>Or was it harsh that I asked someone else why that
>said the site sucked?

Why do you even bring it up? It is obvious to a 5 year old.
What is the need to make these kinds of substitutions?

>I'm being sincere as I honestly don't know.

>At any rate, I'm kind of done with this thread. I'm just a bit surprised by
>the replies I got. They just didn't seem to make a lot of sense.

>Sorry to the extent it is me.

Well, that is life.

You see, I have seen plenty of people that pose as some kind
of "authority" on Usenet. Instead of just enjoying it, reading
and writing and engaging in productive discussions,
they start telling others about what is "off" and what is "on".

But who ARE those people?
What authority do they have to control the global information
streams, which is what Usenet is?

And I tell you who they are and I know so much about the
most subtle points of their mindset, that I can pretty much
predict their next word, with minor exceptions.

When I mentioned Alexander Da Great, do you think it was just
"off the wall" remark?

Nope.

If your mind would not be blinded with poison of hate and
jealousy, you could have looked at it as a hint. Because
that seems to be your problem in your entire life.

Anyway, take it or leave it. But when you come my way
and start with arrogance and insults, I just have to
kick you on the butt, so you fly like a dead chicken.

I am only interested in relating to creatinve people,
who have genuine ideas and are interested in exporing
new issues and new dimensions.

Zo...

This was my intruduction to one of the "experts" aruund here?

Well, doesn't look that pretty, I tellya.

Oki, doki. See ya later.

P.S.

Do YOU "promote" YOUR site in your own sig
with every post you make?

So, YOU are the real "spammer" here, you see.

MFC Goldmine site has specific, carefully selected information
on specific topics. Tons of it. And you can become an expert
yourself if you work with it for a couple of monhs.

And what do YOU have in your own sig?

>Jonathan

Labyrinth

Jan 2, 2009, 7:57:25 PM1/2/09
In article <D87F2F68-47FA-4D8E...@microsoft.com>, "David Ching" <d...@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote:
>"Labyrinth" <en...@exit.here> wrote in message
>> I don't care about PR. I care for THAT, WHICH IS.
>>
>> The Truth.
>>
>> The rest I am not interested in.
>> Just don't cross my path with such intensions.
>>
>> Some of those "experts" of the highest caliber you can find
>> had to dance on a skillet like cockroaches, with full heat
>> on. Baby, you screw around too much and there comes the time
>> when you get what is called "full service", and trust me,
>> you don't want to get it in the BEST days of your life.
>>
>> :--}
>>
>> Good empigj...
>>

>I sincerely wish you success with your websites. I have observed that
>people with good technical skills but lacking human and business savvy are
>not around for very long.

True. But Truth stays forever, not matter what circumstances are.

>A very wise man (or maybe it was a woman?) once
>said, "Honey attracts more flies than vinegar."

Sorry to tell you, but I studied these issues to such an
extent, that I can easily write a book about it, especially
as applied at this very junction and all the phases we had
to go through during the last 30 years on this planet.

> You don't have to
>personally like your customers, but you do need them as customers. So be
>nice.

:--}

Sorry, that is not my style.
I'll let YOU handle these issues if you want.
I CAN deal with customers and they do get a full service
in terms of attention, and they ARE usually satisfied
with what I have to offer. But I do not have that patience
to throw lil bits of "wisdom" and wait for a couple of
generations till it sprouts.

I either turn it upside down, which is a trick to turn
your consciousness and awareness on so we can work on
maximum potential with full, concentrated energy, or
point some issue directly, looking at the bone and marrow
issues.

>-- David

Labyrinth

Jan 2, 2009, 9:54:11 PM1/2/09

I am dissapointed.

>-- David

Labyrinth

Jan 2, 2009, 9:58:14 PM1/2/09

He looks like a big boss, but not quite an expert
from what I see.

Java MFC Goldmine collections contain over 50,000 articles
on Java, C, C++, C#, VC and MFC in over 50 categories.

Tens of thousands of code snippets and examples,
expert opinions and views and tons of relevant links
on each category.

Sites contain only relevant articles on selected topics.
All noise articles were filtered out.

You can find an answer on any issue within minutes,
if not seconds.

JavaGoldmine:
http://javagoldmine.by.ru/index.html

Mirror:
http://tarkus01.by.ru/index.html

MFCGoldmine:
http://mfcgoldmine.by.ru/index.html

Note:

Sites are indexed by Google. To find you exactly the articles
you are looking for, use advanced search and specify site,
e.g. for MFC Goldmine,

Search within a site or domain: mfcgoldmine.by.ru

For Java Goldmine Google searches, use tarkus01.by.ru,
not javagoldmine.by.ru. It has the biggest Google index.

If have problems accessing some article, use the mirror site.

jason.c...@gmail.com

Jan 2, 2009, 10:54:46 PM1/2/09

It's actually not that great of a site, for a couple of reasons, some
dealing with the site itself, other dealing with the author.

The content on the site is vaguely indexed into general categories but
is otherwise an unsearchable glob of random forum posts and bits of
source code pulled off of MSDN newsgroups and other limited sources.
It provides no advantage over visiting your search engine of choice
and typing the keywords you are looking for. In fact, it does not even
provide an advantage over simply browsing through the newsgroups
themselves, as it provides you only with lists of out-of-context links
and out-of-order posts, with no threading and no organization of any
bits of information you may stumble upon.

The site is simply yet another scraper site plus a bit of AdSense on
the front pages. It's reminiscent of scraper sites like Encyclocentral
and other such garbage that clutters search engine results, making the
description on the front page amusingly ironic:

"NewsMaestro is a result of years of work and research in an effort to
find a way to reduce the information overload and extract the most
valuable information from the raw information streams. We are
constantly bombarded with tremendous amounts of information, vast
majority of which is pure garbage. Human mind can not possibly digest
this flood of garbage. At the same time, we always need quality
information. When we use regular search engines, we are presented with
99% garbage information. It takes a lot of time and effort to sift
through it in order to find the information we are looking for."

It appears to be nothing more than a bunch of HTML pages generated by
somebody's data mining equivalent of "Hello World". While it's an
admirable attempt, the author's poor attitude negates any positive
comments that could be made about the site.

The author himself does not appear to be proud enough of his content
to put his own name on it. This seems minor but gives what could be a
legitimate site the feel of yet another generated MFA scraper site
that engines like Google will ultimately filter as unwanted clutter
and relegate to page 30 of any reasonable set of search results.

Additionally, the author's tendency to post immature responses such as
calling somebody a "donkeyass" and otherwise generally behaving like a
slightly post-pubescent male does not give his work the air of
credibility that he may expect. Recent trolling behavior on other
threads in comp.lang.c++ do not help his cause, and for the most part
make it nearly impossible to view his site seriously. The rather large
cross-post is a bit of a nuisance as well (additionally, discussions
of MFC are off-topic in both c.l.c and c.l.c++, but even more so in
c.l.c).

That said, the site could be going in a good direction. The addition
of a search feature, threaded topics, and context information around
each category's list of extracted links could, in fact, make the site
quite useful. The concept of grouping by category rather than by
newsgroup (although the grouping needs quite a good amount of work, I
see more than a few miscategorized pages) is interesting, as well as
the idea of extracting links from posts (displaying an contextless
list of raw URLs, however, is not useful). A more positive and
professional attitude on the part of the anonymous author would also
serve to make a better impression on potential users. In it's current
state, and given the author's attitude, the site is, indeed, crap.

Jason

JC

Jan 3, 2009, 1:08:54 AM1/3/09
On Jan 2, 10:54 pm, "jason.cipri...@gmail.com"

Adding to this, the author, "Labyrinth" seems to have canceled all of
his messages in this thread. The full archive including original posts
is available here for reference:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.c/browse_frm/thread/cd8333fd25b20df2

Richard Heathfield

Jan 3, 2009, 2:45:48 AM1/3/09
Labyrinth said:

> In article <Zqidnc8gWoZdMsDU...@bt.com>,
> r...@see.sig.invalid wrote:
>>Labyrinth said:
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>> even though they pump their chests
>>> like Alexander Da Great, Napoleon or Adolph Hitler.
>>
>>Godwin's Law applies - you just lost your argument.
>
> First of all, I have no argument.

Neither do you have the power to persuade.

> I am too busy for that stuff.

And you're no good at it anyway.

> You can aruge here all day long, till your nose goes blue.
> Doesn't matter to me.

Nor does your site matter to this newsgroup.

> Just don't get nasty.

Pointing out your nastiness doesn't count as nastiness, IMHO.

<snip>

Email: -http://www. +rjh@

Giovanni Dicanio

Jan 3, 2009, 4:39:45 AM1/3/09
David Ching wrote:

> See, it pays to be Italian and not always English-native
> speaking! :-)

:-))

SvenC

Jan 3, 2009, 5:21:57 AM1/3/09
On 03.01.2009 03:58, Labyrinth wrote:

> Java MFC Goldmine collections contain over 50,000 articles
> on Java, C, C++, C#, VC and MFC in over 50 categories.
>
> Tens of thousands of code snippets and examples,
> expert opinions and views and tons of relevant links
> on each category.
>
> Sites contain only relevant articles on selected topics.
> All noise articles were filtered out.

My first click on your "ATL experts" category does not look
too relevant:

http://mfcgoldmine.by.ru/Convert/Articles/ATL_Experts/ZArticle_01321861.html

Could it be that even you are imperfect?

--
SvenC

Hans-J. Ude

Jan 3, 2009, 6:12:45 AM1/3/09
"David Ching" <d...@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote:

>Harsh, guys. I like the site. It highlights high value posts from
>newsgroups and lets your browse through them. Randomly picking some topics
>is like browsing through Raymond Chen's OldNewThing blog. Learn something
>new with a few clicks. You can also search with google amongst the high
>value posts, so your results will be more relevant than just searching the
>newsgroup overall.

I took a quick look and found it interesting too. I haven't followed
this thread very closely but there seemed to be many misunderstandings
around. Now it's the fact that all postings by "Labyrinth" vanished
from my newsserver. Maybe he cancelled them all.

Hans

pgadmin

Jan 3, 2009, 8:56:16 PM1/3/09
In article <#L2eb0Yb...@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, SvenC <Sv...@nospam.nospam> wrote:
>On 03.01.2009 03:58, Labyrinth wrote:
>
>> Java MFC Goldmine collections contain over 50,000 articles
>> on Java, C, C++, C#, VC and MFC in over 50 categories.
>>
>> Tens of thousands of code snippets and examples,
>> expert opinions and views and tons of relevant links
>> on each category.
>>
>> Sites contain only relevant articles on selected topics.
>> All noise articles were filtered out.
>
>My first click on your "ATL experts" category does not look
>too relevant:

Click on Google. See how many relevant articles you get
not only on the 1st click, but on the 50'th click.

Basically, you're going to get tens of thousands of
references. Guess how many of them are relevant.

>http://mfcgoldmine.by.ru/Convert/Articles/ATL_Experts/ZArticle_01321861.html

>Could it be that even you are imperfect?

I never claimed perfection.

pgadmin

Jan 3, 2009, 9:05:45 PM1/3/09
In article <84hul4h3ikulevcea...@4ax.com>, Hans-J. Ude <ne...@s237965939.online.de> wrote:
>"David Ching" <d...@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Harsh, guys. I like the site. It highlights high value posts from
>>newsgroups and lets your browse through them. Randomly picking some topics
>>is like browsing through Raymond Chen's OldNewThing blog. Learn something
>>new with a few clicks. You can also search with google amongst the high
>>value posts, so your results will be more relevant than just searching the
>>newsgroup overall.

That is the idea. Unfortunately the MFC collection was not
extensively checked for relevance. Good filters take quite
some time to work out. You have to review a lot of articles
to see if there are any false matches and why. Then you have
to adjust the filters and rerun it again.

JavaGoldmine was checked much more.

http://javagoldmine.by.ru/index.html

Btw, if you further filter the collection via Google or
Yahoo, specify site:tarkus01.by.ru instead of
site:javagoldmine.by.ru because Google indexed at least
20,000 articles on tarkus site. Looks like they can't
handle a lot of articles lately. A few months ago it
was much better.

>I took a quick look and found it interesting too. I haven't followed
>this thread very closely but there seemed to be many misunderstandings
>around. Now it's the fact that all postings by "Labyrinth" vanished
>from my newsserver. Maybe he cancelled them all.

Not only misunderstandings, but outright harassment.

Some mouthfoaming fools even tried to cancell all the
articles, being clueless as they are. Nowadays, only
a few servers accept cancels and cancelling someone
elses articles is what?

Well, vandalism and sabotage of blobal information streams.
Basically, a criminal behavior. Simple as that.

These miserable fools try to do all they can to destroy
something that was created by others. Because about the
only "joy", be it a perverted kind, they know is "joy"
of destruction. It makes them feel like somebody.
So, instead of enjoying life and creating something,
they step on the podium and start calling something shit,
even though they are in shit upto their ears, and,
being clueless as they are, they can not even BEGIN
to comprehend what this is all about.

Well, nothing new, really.

>Hans

pgadmin

Jan 3, 2009, 9:08:15 PM1/3/09
In article <RMGdnciGrenCi8LU...@bt.com>, r...@see.sig.invalid wrote:
>Labyrinth said:
>
>> In article <Zqidnc8gWoZdMsDU...@bt.com>,
>> r...@see.sig.invalid wrote:
>>>Labyrinth said:
>>>
>>><snip>

>>>Godwin's Law applies - you just lost your argument.
>>
>> First of all, I have no argument.
>
>Neither do you have the power to persuade.

What are you running your mealy mouth about?

Do you have a SLIGHTEST clue?

>> I am too busy for that stuff.
>
>And you're no good at it anyway.

Maaaan you suck.

Get lost, donkey.

Enough.

pgadmin

Jan 3, 2009, 9:40:37 PM1/3/09
In article <7f328aeb-d3a5-4517...@k1g2000prb.googlegroups.com>, "jason.c...@gmail.com" <jason.c...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jan 2, 9:47=A0am, "David Ching" <d...@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote:
>> "Labyrinth" <en...@exit.here> wrote in message

>> > I bet you are writting the buggiest code there is,
>> > so sloppy is your "arguments". Actually, I do not
>> > see a SINGLE argument woth of of anything of any value.
>>
>> Heh, Jonathan is one of the "experts" here whom you should definitely fil=

>ter
>> in on your website.
>
>It's actually not that great of a site, for a couple of reasons, some
>dealing with the site itself, other dealing with the author.

When you by Ford car, do you buy on the basis of the "author"?

Do you know how rotten some of those dudes are?
And still you drink coca cola, even though as a product
it is a conman's game. Because it consists of about 97% water,
some tongue stimulants, some chemicals, tons of artificial
sweetener to get you hooked, and some paint. For the same money
you can drink a natural juice.

>The content on the site is vaguely indexed into general categories

What do you mean "vaguely"?

Try Google and see if you find articles that have ANYTHING
to do with what you are looking for. And what is the hit rate
on Google? Well, about 1%, AT BEST.

What do you want? A perfect orgasm of an automatic retreival
system? And how would you specify your filters? Can you show
me some example filter specifications to get a better hit rate?

Do you have a SLIGHTEST clue of what are you talking about?

> but
>is otherwise an unsearchable glob of random forum posts

What are you concocting here, sire?

> and bits of
>source code pulled off of MSDN newsgroups

Do you have any evidence for that?

Now, can you find code examples on Google that have ANY
relevance to anything, if you can find any to begin with?

>and other limited sources.

:--}

Blowing good, I tellya.

>It provides no advantage over visiting your search engine of choice

Well, you look UTTERLY clueless.

One more time: do a search on Google and see how many hundreds
of thousands of utter garbage you would have to go thru
to find something you are looking for and look at you watch
to see how long did it take you.

In ANY case, how would you specify filters in order to find
something?

Or you expect someone to sit there and manually select
only appropriate articles and then bring them to you on
a silver plate for free?

Tellya one thing, we can find you anything you want.
But this would be a paid service and I can guarantee you
that you won't be able to find anything better.

>and typing the keywords you are looking for. In fact, it does not even
>provide an advantage over simply browsing through the newsgroups
>themselves,

Wow! That blows till you become the size of a jumbo jet.

>as it provides you only with lists of out-of-context links

Wow!

You have to get yourself bigger glasses I guess.

You think you can generates MORE appropriate links?

Well, you see, the problem with THIS argument is that
those links were provided by YOU out of the articles that
were selected on the topic YOU have written.

So, better call that nazi cop, who runs around, cancelling
the posts of others and tries to shut down their accounts
for no reason at all. May be he can put you all, big guns,
right. Who knows. Hey, nazi, where are you? Do you see what
is gonna ona here? All your links are screwed up.
This honorable gentleman claims he can't find any good links
here!

>and out-of-order posts,

But where is "order" in those posts?
All the threads are linked togethere. There is no need
for threading because they come one after each other.
Easy even for a 5 year old to see. They are also ordered
by time with proper adjustments for time zone.

What other kind of "order" do you wish to see?

One more time: what are you trying to concoct here?

>with no threading and no organization of any
>bits of information you may stumble upon.

ORGANIZATION you want?

And how would you "organize" things?
Do you realize what are you talking about?
I bet you don't.

You are talking about the information classification issue.
So many top guns broke their teeth on it, I wouln't even
bother to even begin enumerating them.

May be YOU have some idea as to "organization"?

Well, spill it out. Who knows?

>The site is simply yet another scraper site

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh.

>plus a bit of AdSense on
>the front pages. It's reminiscent of scraper sites like Encyclocentral
>and other such garbage that clutters search engine results, making the
>description on the front page amusingly ironic:

Maaaan, you suck.

Oki, doki. I am in the mood. So I'll follow a lil more of
this royal criticism.

Btw, do you know that the most creative people in arts, music,
literature and other creative fields hate critics?

Well, because thouse critics know only one thing:
how to condemn something, how to find some "imperfection"
in the work of OTHERS. Because they themselves can't create
a jackshit. So they live off the creative people like
parasites and are even paid for their garbage "criticism",
worth a jackshit.

Clear enough?

What have YOU created to date?

Btw, which group are you posting this from.
I'll keep it to MFC and C++ groups only.

>"NewsMaestro is a result of years of work and research in an effort to
>find a way to reduce the information overload and extract the most
>valuable information from the raw information streams. We are
>constantly bombarded with tremendous amounts of information, vast
>majority of which is pure garbage. Human mind can not possibly digest
>this flood of garbage. At the same time, we always need quality
>information. When we use regular search engines, we are presented with
>99% garbage information. It takes a lot of time and effort to sift
>through it in order to find the information we are looking for."
>
>It appears to be nothing more than a bunch of HTML pages generated by
>somebody's data mining equivalent of "Hello World".

Oh yeah, mr. hotshot? :--}

I am impressed. I mean WEALLY impressed.

Do you have any specifics, by ANY humble chance?

>While it's an
>admirable attempt, the author's poor attitude negates any positive
>comments that could be made about the site.

You, mouth foaming and blood boiling idiots jumped on the
author and started calling something shit without even having
a clue of what you are talking about.

And now YOU are running your mealy mouth and I am getting
kinda enough of this crap.

Do you by "attitude" at macdonals?

Do you negate the Ohm's law or Kirgoff's equasion on the
basis of his "attitude"?

Do you stop reading Dostoyevsky, listening to Tchaikovsky
or Jimmy Hendix, or looking at Van Gogh or Modigliani
on the basis of their "attitude"?

You must be REALLY desperate to find some shit in someone
else's output hole, picking it with toothpick and looking
at it thru the magnifying glass.

Is there anything else that you can do?

Can you get creative in a hurry? I am getting REALLY bored
with this "independent analysis" by some fool, who has no
clue of what he is talking about.

>The author himself does not appear to be proud enough of his content

How do you know?

>to put his own name on it.

Are you simply sick?

>This seems minor but gives what could be a
>legitimate site

Based on all the crap you ALREADY found?

How could there be ANY "legitimacy" in the context of your
clueless blabber so far?

:--}

>the feel of yet another generated MFA scraper site
>that engines like Google will ultimately filter as unwanted clutter
>and relegate to page 30 of any reasonable set of search results.

Well, looks like it is time to scrape you from my screen.

>Additionally, the author's tendency to post immature responses such as
>calling somebody a "donkeyass"

That was a compliment, mr. "critic"!

>and otherwise generally behaving like a
>slightly post-pubescent male

Oki, doki.

That would be sufficient.

Sounds like a broken record from the stoned ages period.

pgadmin

Jan 3, 2009, 9:59:47 PM1/3/09
Grouplist trimmed.

Btw, microsoft.public.win32.programmer.kernel would be
addressed relatively soon. They are going to see some
of the top notch material on device drivers, especially
the NDIS, TDI and WDM in general.

In article
<2a0dfba3-17b2-45fe...@l38g2000vba.googlegroups.com>, JC
<jason.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Jan 2, 10:54=A0pm, "jason.cipri...@gmail.com"
><jason.cipri...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Jan 2, 9:47=A0am, "David Ching" <d...@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> > "Labyrinth" <en...@exit.here> wrote in message

>> > Heh, Jonathan is one of the "experts" here whom you should definitely f=

> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.c/browse_frm/thread/cd8333fd25b2=
>0df2

The cancels were done by some bloodboiling idiot
in his orgy of destruction of some creation.

What is his "problem"?

Can not do anything creative yourself?
So you need to DESTROY something, because that is about the
ONLY joy you know?

>> That said, the site could be going in a good direction.

It is ALREADY there.

Just specify filters and if they are worth looking at,
they'll be incorporated.

>> The addition
>> of a search feature, threaded topics, and context information around
>> each category's list of extracted links could, in fact, make the site
>> quite useful.

It is ALREADY a hundred times more useful than google.

With minimal amount of time, you can learn so much from it,
that it would take you a lifetime Googling and digging up
the REAL garbage any place you look.

Not good enough?

>> The concept of grouping by category rather than by
>> newsgroup (although the grouping needs quite a good amount of work,

Fine. Throw your two cents on the table and present your ideas.
But you need to talk substance and not phylosophy.

>> see more than a few miscategorized pages)

The site is generated automatically. To call something
"miscategorized", you need to understand on which basis
do you "categorize" things. Do you realize that all these
articles were generated with filters?

If you have some specific idea and specific examples,
fine, quite possible. We'll look at that.

>> is interesting, as well as
>> the idea of extracting links from posts (displaying an contextless
>> list of raw URLs, however, is not useful).

Those links are worth in gold!

Just by looking at the links themselves, you'll be able to find
ALL sorts of articles out there.

Plus those links correspond to the category.
But, if people post inappropriate links, then they are going
to get into output.

Post better, more appropriate links and you will see them
on the next version of the site, which is coming soon anyway.

Lear not write good articles so they look beautiful, complete,
detailed and to the point, and THAT is what you are going to
see in the next version.

YOU, people wrote all that. So blame yourselves for not
being able to utilize the media and deliver your message
in such a way, that it is easily searchable by appropriate
filters.

As far as filters go, you can not even BEGIN to imagine
the precision, they are capable of delivering.

>> A more positive and
>> professional attitude on the part of the anonymous author would also
>> serve to make a better impression on potential users. In it's current
>> state, and given the author's attitude, the site is, indeed, crap.

Again?

What does the "attitude" have to do with YOUR information?

This is YOUR information. I haven't written a SINGLE article
on any topic in any of those articles that are included.

You understand?

You are looking at INFORMATION, not me or someone else.

If you want to look AT someone, just look in the mirror.
I suggest you do it for a long time without winking an eye.
Try for at least 30 seconds.

Who knows, the revelation may appear out of nowhere.

Finally, can you guys be more specific?

Look at comp.lang.c++ group. There was a post there
about C++ Goldmine and filter specification.

Make are request for additional categories.
Provide a list.

Make a request for specific topics and provide the list.

Write filter specifications as outlined in that article.

If it makes sense, it will be included in the next version.

What ELSE do you expect?

Or are you looking for an Angel to save you from your
misery?

Are you willing to move your finger?

Or all you can do is work with your tongue?

>Jason

JC

Jan 3, 2009, 11:02:21 PM1/3/09

http://www.google.com/search?q=atl+code+examples

> One more time: do a search on Google and see how many hundreds
> of thousands of utter garbage you would have to go thru
> to find something you are looking for and look at you watch
> to see how long did it take you.

Minutes:

http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+get+mouse+cursor+position
http://www.google.com/search?q=mfc+tree+view (first result is
sufficient)
http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+device+driver+tutorial
http://www.google.com/search?q=factory+pattern
http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+udp+code+examples

> All the threads are linked togethere. There is no need
> for threading because they come one after each other.
> Easy even for a 5 year old to see. They are also ordered
> by time with proper adjustments for time zone.
>
> What other kind of "order" do you wish to see?

Hopefully you aren't implying that chronological order alone is
sufficient for threaded discussions. IMHO, threaded grouping would
greatly increase the accessibility of the information on your site.
Think Nabble, plus links (with useful titles and context) extracted
from posts, divided into categories instead of newsgroups.

> Btw, which group are you posting this from.
> I'll keep it to MFC and C++ groups only.

I was posting from comp.lang.c++. Thank you for trimming down the
cross-post list.

I can't really respond to the rest as you have broken every one of my
sentences into groups of 5 words or less and responded to each of
those in turn, and mixed in a good helping of name calling. I refuse
to read it.

Your most recent post (from pgadmin, titled something like "last call
for suggestions") is in much better form than the one here.

Jason

pgadmin

Jan 4, 2009, 1:46:50 AM1/4/09
In article <def62c7c-4f78-43ee...@k36g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>, JC <jason.c...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jan 3, 9:40=A0pm, pgad...@pg.invalid (pgadmin) wrote:
>> Now, can you find code examples on Google that have ANY
>> relevance to anything, if you can find any to begin with?
>
>http://www.google.com/search?q=3Datl+code+examples

>> One more time: do a search on Google and see how many hundreds
>> of thousands of utter garbage you would have to go thru
>> to find something you are looking for and look at you watch
>> to see how long did it take you.
>
>Minutes:
>
>http://www.google.com/search?q=3Dwindows+get+mouse+cursor+position
>http://www.google.com/search?q=3Dmfc+tree+view (first result is
>sufficient)
>http://www.google.com/search?q=3Dwindows+device+driver+tutorial
>http://www.google.com/search?q=3Dfactory+pattern
>http://www.google.com/search?q=3Dlinux+udp+code+examples

I take your word for it even though I've done plenty
of Googling myself and spent so much time on it, and
most of it was royal waste of time.

>> All the threads are linked together. There is no need

>> for threading because they come one after each other.
>> Easy even for a 5 year old to see. They are also ordered
>> by time with proper adjustments for time zone.
>>
>> What other kind of "order" do you wish to see?

>Hopefully you aren't implying that chronological order alone is
>sufficient for threaded discussions. IMHO, threaded grouping would
>greatly increase the accessibility of the information on your site.

What do you mean by threaded grouping?
You just want to see the list of threads instead of
list of articles?

What does that do for you?

As far, as I can see, threading is about the last thing
to worry about.

There are some MUCH more interesting issues invlolved.

>Think Nabble, plus links (with useful titles and context) extracted
>from posts, divided into categories instead of newsgroups.

Well, I was thinking about links for some time.
There are number of issues with it.

Basically, if you get what you have now, it shouln't take
you more than a couple of minutes to get to the sites.
Many links just tell it to you from their name.

Beyond that, yes, there IS an issue of this sort.
I generally view it as an issue with REFERENCES
as such, and there are all sorts of things about it.

It is still in the works.
Basically, the idea is to provide a References chapters,
parralel to the categories. Say you are interested in
abstract classes. I can make a run and get all the
sites handling this issue. But which sites are "good",
how can you tell?

But you ARE going to get the references on them.
As far as summaries go, I don't particularly like
the way it is done on search engines. They just take
a few words around the found keyword and give you
half of the sentence. That just does not cut it for me.

But to generate reasonable summaries automatically,
you are talking AI now. Prolog and things like that.
That is a project by itself.

You want to handle it?
Fine, be my guest.
But I am not quite ready for THAT kind of twist on
the matter, at least at the moment.

But definetely, this IS a top level issue on the
table.

>> Btw, which group are you posting this from.
>> I'll keep it to MFC and C++ groups only.

>I was posting from comp.lang.c++. Thank you for trimming down the
>cross-post list.

Ok, I just wonder if that dude that did all the
article cancelling has enough guts to step up to the plate
and say it.

Otherwise, he is just a coward and is exactly that,
which I told him.

So, how's life in C++ world?
I thought C# is the latest rage.

>I can't really respond to the rest as you have broken every one of my
>sentences into groups of 5 words or less and responded to each of
>those in turn, and mixed in a good helping of name calling. I refuse
>to read it.

:--}

Sorry about that. Well, you could put it back in.
I usually like to plug in exactly at the point of issue.
If you take a sentence, it usually has multiple claims.

It isn't even easy to separate that and respond to it.
I like things to be exactly in the context.

But like some say around here: well, if someone is
interested enough, they can go back the thread and
read YOUR post.

Funny, isn't it?

:--}

>Your most recent post (from pgadmin, titled something like "last call
>for suggestions") is in much better form than the one here.

Well, may be I'll repost it here also. But right now
MFC/VC is going to stay the way it is until C++ is done.

Can you guys give some specific requests to be included?
There isn't that much time to review a lot of stuff, and
some things may not be even desirable. Things like that.

Take care.

>Jason

pgadmin

Jan 4, 2009, 2:27:07 AM1/4/09
In article <gjpm0r$1pp$1...@solani.org>, pga...@pg.invalid (pgadmin) wrote:
>In article <def62c7c-4f78-43ee...@k36g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
> JC <jason.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On Jan 3, 9:40=A0pm, pgad...@pg.invalid (pgadmin) wrote:
>>> Now, can you find code examples on Google that have ANY
>>> relevance to anything, if you can find any to begin with?
>>
>>http://www.google.com/search?q=3Datl+code+examples
>>
>>> One more time: do a search on Google and see how many hundreds
>>> of thousands of utter garbage you would have to go thru
>>> to find something you are looking for and look at you watch
>>> to see how long did it take you.
>>
>>Minutes:
>>
>>http://www.google.com/search?q=3Dwindows+get+mouse+cursor+position
>>http://www.google.com/search?q=3Dmfc+tree+view (first result is
>>sufficient)
>>http://www.google.com/search?q=3Dwindows+device+driver+tutorial
>>http://www.google.com/search?q=3Dfactory+pattern
>>http://www.google.com/search?q=3Dlinux+udp+code+examples

>I take your word for it even though I've done plenty
>of Googling myself and spent so much time on it, and
>most of it was royal waste of time.

Btw, these are single stage filters. You can NEVER,
even in your wildest dreams achieve the filtering we are
doing right now.

Can you comprehend what is 8 stages of filters,
each as good, or MUCh better then their entir filter
specification?

Right now we are using at least 3 stages, and that is
considered easy filtering. If we add just one more stage,
the precision increases by the factor of magnitude.

We can do what Google does in just a single stage,
and even at that level we beat them hands down.

We just run circles around them, you see.
With a SINGLE filter stage.

Plus those guys do not have good enough filter
specifications to even mention.

The bottom line is their technology is about 2 generations
old, and I mean HUMAN generations, about 40 years old.

That stuff is outdated at this point and they'd have
to scrap most of their technology and do so much work,
that even with their 4000 employees, it's going to take
them quite a while.

SvenC

Jan 4, 2009, 7:09:00 AM1/4/09
Hi pgadmin,

>>> Sites contain *only relevant* articles on selected topics.
>>> *All noise articles were filtered out.*

>> My first click on your "ATL experts" category does not look
>> too relevant:
>
> Click on Google. See how many relevant articles you get
> not only on the 1st click, but on the 50'th click.
>
> Basically, you're going to get tens of thousands of
> references. Guess how many of them are relevant.

Google does not claim to only show relevant information.
You do claim that. Look at the quote above where I added
asterisks to highlight your claims.

>> http://mfcgoldmine.by.ru/Convert/Articles/ATL_Experts/ZArticle_01321861.html
>
>> Could it be that even you are imperfect?
>
> I never claimed perfection.

Again: look at the quote at the top of this post.

What is my point?
I want to show you your level of ignorance and arrogance.

While I understand that the initial answer of Brian Muth makes
you angry you should not respond by attacking people so heavily.
I doubt you can persuade anybody of the quality of your site
with such rude posts.

Just like Jonathan I would be interested in Brian to elaborate
why he suggests to avoid your site.

--
SvenC

pgadmin

Jan 4, 2009, 9:06:22 AM1/4/09
In article <#ZbW7Umb...@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, SvenC <Sv...@nospam.nospam> wrote:
>Hi pgadmin,

>>> My first click on your "ATL experts" category does not look
>>> too relevant:
>>
>> Click on Google. See how many relevant articles you get
>> not only on the 1st click, but on the 50'th click.
>>
>> Basically, you're going to get tens of thousands of
>> references. Guess how many of them are relevant.
>
>Google does not claim to only show relevant information.
>You do claim that.
>Look at the quote above where I added
>asterisks to highlight your claims.

True. At time I was describing the overall idea.
But YOU are looking at it as a court case it seems.
Are you ready to stand in court and be judged with such
a nitpicking you do?

After all that was written here, you STIL do not understand
what are we talking about?

Now, do you think it is possible in principle?

>>> http://mfcgoldmine.by.ru/Convert/Articles/ATL_Experts/ZArticle_01321861.html
>>
>>> Could it be that even you are imperfect?
>>
>> I never claimed perfection.
>
>Again: look at the quote at the top of this post.
>
>What is my point?
>I want to show you your level of ignorance and arrogance.

Just look in the mirror.
Enough.

pgadmin

Jan 4, 2009, 9:23:26 AM1/4/09
In article <#ZbW7Umb...@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, SvenC <Sv...@nospam.nospam> wrote:

I don't need to "pursuade" ANYBODY.
It is upto them what they are willing to do with the infortmaion.

>Just like Jonathan I would be interested in Brian to elaborate
>why he suggests to avoid your site.

Now, with all your output hole analysis, what have you achived?

Another lil thing, as I said in other post, I hope you,
da "hopposition", have enough guts to step up to the plate
and admit that you were cancelling someone elses posts
and tell everybody WHY did you do that?

Do you have any guts to stand by your deeds?

Or you are just coward, interested in one thing only,
destruction, lies, fabrications, harassment, insults
and things like that?

One more time: what is your purpose in all this condemnation?

Do you think you can just say someone what THEY are doing
is shit and get away with it?

Nope. You'd have to take some heat. Just because you can
not find any joy in your life, you sit here in this group
and blabber all day long and behave like you are some
kind of traffic light here?

Again, be thankful you can even use Usenet and what you
are is just a poster like any other and you have no
authority WHATSOEVER to decide what "belongs" to where
and which groups the other posters decide to post their
stuff. Yes, you can mention it, but to behave like YOU
do, is utterly a different matter.

"If you don't like something, do not read it, do not
follow up on it, and just forget about it"
-- Russ Allbery

And he is the one who LITERALLY owns big-8, the most
propagated set of hierarchies on Usenet, and he's been
doing it for so long and have seen so much, that you
better listen to what he says.

And what you do instead?

Well, you start harassing people, fabricating lies,
insulting people and actively try to DESTROY them.

But all you are is just a few blood boiling and
mouthfoaming nazis. And that is EXACTLY the reason
you do what you do. Because that comes in a nazi
uniform as a package.

Did I EVER interfered into ANY of your threads?
Did I EVER say anything to any of you, masters of
disasters?

Then what is the problem?

Your blood temperature is at a boiling point?

And you start doing about the most idiotic things
one can even imagine in his wildest dreams?

And what do you expect to achieve at the end?

After seeing all sorts of nazis on Usenet, and some
of them sit WAY "higher" than you do, I am still here,
and I still do what I am interested in doing, and ALL
your sub-idiotic tricks are just that, a desperate
attempt, the end result of which isn't even worth
mentioning.

Brian Muth

Jan 4, 2009, 7:42:13 PM1/4/09

> Just like Jonathan I would be interested in Brian to elaborate
> why he suggests to avoid your site.

I decided to go back and refresh my memory of the categories, but I see the site is now down. I tried over several hours and it
continues to be unavailable. This is not a good sign.

From memory, the categorizations really did not appear helpful to me whatsoever. When I need some information I don't think in terms
of categories. I think in terms of relevant keywords. So I use the search engine that I find is the most reliable, and that returns
the most relevant links. Occasionally I use search engines other than Google (include Live Search) but I keep coming back to Google
for the simple reason that it works the best, at least in my hands. This site seems to be just a pool of what can be found directly
through Google. I explored the items within each category and I couldn't seem any organization that made sense to me.

Also, Russian sites have a bad reputation for instigating malware, hence my recommendation to use "shields up". What also throws me
off is the insistence of the OP to use this site. This concerns me, since I don't see what the motivation is for running this site.
One wonders about the business model.

JC

Jan 4, 2009, 7:49:51 PM1/4/09
On Jan 4, 7:42 pm, "Brian Muth" <bm...@mvps.org> wrote:
> > Just like Jonathan I would be interested in Brian to elaborate
> > why he suggests to avoid your site.
>
> Also, Russian sites have a bad reputation for instigating malware, hence my recommendation to use "shields up". What also throws me
> off is the insistence of the OP to use this site. This concerns me, since I don't see what the motivation is for running this site.
> One wonders about the business model.

The anonymity of the author adds to that feel, as well as the AdSense
banner (which I'd guess is tied to an impressions-based payment plan).

Jason

pgadmin

Jan 5, 2009, 2:20:27 AM1/5/09
In article <#GWm05sb...@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>, "Brian Muth" <bm...@mvps.org> wrote:

>> Just like Jonathan I would be interested in Brian to elaborate
>> why he suggests to avoid your site.
>
>I decided to go back and refresh my memory of the categories, but I see the
> site is now down.

The site is not down. I see a gap of about 5 hours.
But I take take there were no visitors during that time.

Btw, do not use lines longer than 70 chars.
It screws up the format and YOUR post look weird,
at least when followed up upon.

> I tried over several hours and it
>continues to be unavailable. This is not a good sign.

Well, check it out again.

>From memory, the categorizations really did not appear helpful to me
> whatsoever.

Fine. Not argument there.
Any suggestions?

>When I need some information I don't think in terms
>of categories. I think in terms of relevant keywords.

That does not make much sense.
How would you organize the site then?
You see, one way or the other, the articles have to be group
around some issue, so you could see different authors talk
about THEIR way of doing it and THEIR intepretation of the
issue.

>So I use the search
> engine that I find is the most reliable, and that returns
>the most relevant links. Occasionally I use search engines other than Google
> (include Live Search) but I keep coming back to Google
>for the simple reason that it works the best, at least in my hands. This site
> seems to be just a pool of what can be found directly
>through Google. I explored the items within each category and I couldn't seem
> any organization that made sense to me.

If you use Google, specify site:tarkus01.by.ru

It has much bigger index on Google. For some reason, Google
does a very limited indexing lately. Javagoldmine has about
6000 articles indexed. Tarkus01 has over 20,000 (from memory)

>Also, Russian sites have a bad reputation for instigating malware,

True. Then disable Javascript and you won't get a single
warning. There is just counter code on that site.
But... If you are concerned, you don't have to bother with it.

>hence my
> recommendation to use "shields up". What also throws me
>off is the insistence of the OP to use this site. This concerns me, since I
> don't see what the motivation is for running this site.
>One wonders about the business model.

There is not insistance. There is just infomration provided.
You like it, you take it. Otherwise, no need to bother
about it and especially make all sorts of off the wall
insulting remarks without understanding the issues in
their entirety.

As for motivation, everybody has his own ideas.
I could write a pretty fat article on "motivation".
But what is the point. It will be written in due time.

As for "business model", there isn't any.
The "goal" behind it goes way beyond MFC, Java and you name it.
If someone likes to do something, what is your "problem"?
Do you have to come and poke your nose into THEIR game?
Why don't you find yourself to play your own game?

The game being played here already produced PLENTY of results
and got attention from some of the biggest players in the
industry, and that is all I am willing to tell you right now.

Just relax, it isn't the end of the world.
You have some ideas?
Fine. Spill it out. But be specific and precise,
and think about it first. What may look like a simple issue,
may turn out to be something else. There was so much thought
about all sorts of aspcts, you better belive what you see
has some reasons for it.

As to filters, true, this is the easiest form of filtering.

The issue of filtering is not simple. If you filter too
tightly, you may loose quite a few significant articles.
Right now it is filtered in such a way as to provide
the MAXIMUM amount of relevant articles. It is easy enough
to push the next button. But to miss some important information
is much worse than a number of button pushes.

For example, it could be easily filtered by specifying
additional filters within some topic, say abstract class.
There, we can specify what kind of things you would like
to know about abstract class. But the problem is, you
are going to start loosing all sorts of articles, just
because they might have used a "wrong" word or keyphrase.

Making filters is a tedious process and takes days,
if not weeks to build the "perfect" filter for the site
of this size. It is not as easy, as it looks. But once
you specified your filters, and you can have as many,
as you want, and each one can include any condition
you can think of, word boundaries, leading and trailing,
upper/lower case, search scope in characters, multiple
AND and OR conditions without limit, lists of headers
for any standard header, add a list of keyword phrases
for the article subject, invert filters independently.
One filter may filter in, and the next one, filter out.
So, you can build anything you can imagine in your
wildest dreams.

One more time: if you have some ideas on organization,
fine. If you have some specific ideas on filters, fine.
Give you filter specification. We can talk about some specific
filter need be.

If you have some ideas about links, fine.
If you have some ideas about reference material, fine.
But this is a touchy issue.

pgadmin

Jan 5, 2009, 2:30:09 AM1/5/09
In article <1391f047-467b-4422...@40g2000prx.googlegroups.com>, JC <jason.c...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jan 4, 7:42=A0pm, "Brian Muth" <bm...@mvps.org> wrote:
>> > Just like Jonathan I would be interested in Brian to elaborate
>> > why he suggests to avoid your site.
>>
>> Also, Russian sites have a bad reputation for instigating malware, hence =

>my recommendation to use "shields up". What also throws me
>> off is the insistence of the OP to use this site. This concerns me, since=

> I don't see what the motivation is for running this site.
>> One wonders about the business model.
>
>The anonymity of the author adds to that feel, as well as the AdSense
>banner (which I'd guess is tied to an impressions-based payment plan).

There is no penny received from those banners.
Unfortunately, the provider started putting them up
recently without informing anyone about it.

On the top of it, they may have relatively long periods
when their entire domain is not accessible. That happens
aobut once a month and may last upto 24 hrs from what
I recall. The problem with moving the site to a different
place is that it takes months for Google to index the
site and lots of people already know about this location.
Yes, we can place a link on a starting page, but that
just complicates things for users.

But, no matter what, the decision was already made to
move the site to a different place.

The problem is the site is very large, about 200-300 megs.
I looked at some hosting providers and found a couple
that look reasonable.

The next version, probably starting with C++, is
probably going to be wiki based, using MoinMoin wiki.
It has been tested and it looks good overall.
It is Python based, so dynamic page serving is fast.
Also, there are some very powerful filters available
from Xapian, so Google is out at that point.
I am beginng to get dissapointed with Google day by day.
ALL sorts of problems with thouse dude, sittning
pretty in the Mountain View, Da Silicon Valley.

And THESE are the highest priorities. There isn't even
enough time to play with filters, do complete chapter
rebuilds and review tons of articls to see if filters
could be tweaked more.

Someone is willing to provide more filter specs?
Fine, by my guest.

>Jason

pgadmin

Jan 5, 2009, 9:19:49 AM1/5/09

Acutally, I just checked Google. It turns out javagoldmine.by.ru
has only 665 pages indexed.

MFC Goldmine is not indexed yet even though it's been a week.

--
JavaGoldmine:
http://javagoldmine.by.ru/index.html

Mirror:
http://tarkus01.by.ru/index.html

MFCGoldmine:
http://mfcgoldmine.by.ru/index.html

Java MFC Goldmine collections contain over 50,000 articles

on Java, C, C++, C#, VC and MFC in over 50 categories.

Tens of thousands of code snippets and examples,
expert opinions and views and tons of relevant links
on each category.

You can find an answer on any issue within minutes,
if not seconds.

Note:

Sites are indexed by Google, Yahoo and other search engines.

To find you exactly the articles you are looking for,

specify

site:mfcgoldmine.by.ru (for MFC/VC/C++)

For Java Goldmine Google searches, use

site:tarkus01.by.ru

not javagoldmine.by.ru. http://tarkus01.by.ru has the biggest
Google index.

If you have problems accessing some article, use the mirror site.

Ajay Kalra

Jan 5, 2009, 9:50:10 AM1/5/09
On Jan 2, 12:53 am, "David Ching" <d...@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote:
> "Jonathan Wood" <jw...@softcircuits.com> wrote in message

> > "Brian Muth" <bm...@mvps.org> wrote in message
>
> >> This site sucks. Don't go there. If you do, make sure your "shields are
> >> up".
>
> > I tried it earlier and don't want to try again. This post really has no
> > business here.
>
> > Still, I'm curious as to why you say it sucks.

> Harsh, guys.  I like the site.

Not for me. After few clicks, I found it to be useless. Besides people
promoting it appear to be not deserving.

--
Ajay

Brian Muth

Jan 5, 2009, 4:34:23 PM1/5/09
This is an interesting rant. I find it fascinating that your original
post was an attempt to steer people to your website, but you fail to
appreciate that your responses are having the exact opposite effect.

You are your own worst enemy.

Brian

> [...]

> that seems to be your problem in your entire life.
>
> Anyway, take it or leave it. But when you come my way
> and start with arrogance and insults, I just have to
> kick you on the butt, so you fly like a dead chicken.
>
> I am only interested in relating to creatinve people,
> who have genuine ideas and are interested in exporing
> new issues and new dimensions.
>
> Zo...
>
> This was my intruduction to one of the "experts" aruund here?
>
> Well, doesn't look that pretty, I tellya.
>
> Oki, doki. See ya later.
>
> P.S.
>
> Do YOU "promote" YOUR site in your own sig
> with every post you make?
>
> So, YOU are the real "spammer" here, you see.
>
> MFC Goldmine site has specific, carefully selected information
> on specific topics. Tons of it. And you can become an expert
> yourself if you work with it for a couple of monhs.

pgadmin

Jan 5, 2009, 5:25:12 PM1/5/09
In article <e33f2d6a-5ac8-4851...@e1g2000pra.googlegroups.com>, Ajay Kalra <ajay...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Jan 2, 12:53=A0am, "David Ching" <d...@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote:
>> "Jonathan Wood" <jw...@softcircuits.com> wrote in message

>> > "Brian Muth" <bm...@mvps.org> wrote in message

>> > I tried it earlier and don't want to try again. This post really has no
>> > business here.
>>
>> > Still, I'm curious as to why you say it sucks.
>>
>> Harsh, guys. =A0I like the site.

>Not for me. After few clicks, I found it to be useless.

Da moral: Do not write useless articles...

:--}

>Besides people
>promoting it appear to be not deserving.

Baba, be nice. You are are nice guy, aren't you?

pgadmin

Jan 5, 2009, 5:31:20 PM1/5/09
In article <OVKOh13b...@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, "Brian Muth" <bm...@mvps.org> wrote:
>This is an interesting rant. I find it fascinating that your original
>post was an attempt to steer people to your website, but you fail to
>appreciate that your responses are having the exact opposite effect.

:--{

>You are your own worst enemy.

That sounds like a revelation...

Anything else equally as productive?

Btw, I found one hosting site that looks good.

If you, dudes, are into it, get creative and write
some filter specification. We can use it on a test site.

What is it that would make it "good" to your eyes,
which chapters, how would you like to see it categorized,
what kind of issues/topics would you like to see, etc.

We'll see how hot you are in action.

:--}

>Brian
>

>"Labyrinth" <en...@exit.here> wrote in message
>> In article <OTbfBcPb...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, "Jonathan Wood"

Jonathan Wood

Jan 5, 2009, 7:06:13 PM1/5/09
Babyrinth,

> Anyway, take it or leave it. But when you come my way
> and start with arrogance and insults, I just have to
> kick you on the butt, so you fly like a dead chicken.

Listen here, you snot-nosed little punk. I don't know what your situation is
such that you can waste endless time posting piles of meaningless drivel but
that's about the third time you've taken a threatening tone in your messages
to me. You have no idea who you are messing with. Again: I can take care of
myself. If you're up to it, then STFU and do it!

I don't give a crap about your POS site or your stupid drivel. You're
obviously a moron and that's why your site is pure crap. (And usually
doesn't even work.)

I'm out...

Jonathan

Ajay Kalra

Jan 6, 2009, 9:09:33 AM1/6/09
On Jan 5, 4:34 pm, "Brian Muth" <bm...@mvps.org> wrote:
> This is an interesting rant. I find it fascinating that your original
> post was an attempt to steer people to your website, but you fail to
> appreciate that your responses are having the exact opposite effect.
>
> You are your own worst enemy.

I doubt if this will get thru.

--
Ajay

pgadmin

Jan 6, 2009, 12:07:51 PM1/6/09
In article <OVKOh13b...@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, "Brian Muth" <bm...@mvps.org> wrote:
>This is an interesting rant. I find it fascinating that your original
>post was an attempt to steer people to your website, but you fail to
>appreciate that your responses are having the exact opposite effect.
>
>You are your own worst enemy.

>Brian

Remember this post?

That is how it all started, mr. smart fart.

Now, when are you, cowards, are going to steop up to the plate
and admit you have done all the rotten, destructive things
you did, like cancelling posts, whining to provider, etc.?

Do you have any guts?

This site sucks. Don't go there. If you do, make sure your "shields are up".

------------------- Quote end --------------------

>"Labyrinth" <en...@exit.here> wrote in message
>> In article <OTbfBcPb...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, "Jonathan Wood"
>> <jw...@softcircuits.com> wrote:

JavaGoldmine:
http://javagoldmine.by.ru/index.html

Mirror:
http://tarkus01.by.ru/index.html

MFC Goldmine:
http://mfcgoldmine.by.ru/index.html

Java and MFC Goldmine collections contain over 50,000 articles

Brian Muth

Jan 6, 2009, 12:22:34 PM1/6/09
> Remember this post?
>
> That is how it all started, mr. smart fart.
>
> Now, when are you, cowards, are going to steop up to the plate
> and admit you have done all the rotten, destructive things
> you did, like cancelling posts, whining to provider, etc.?
>
> Do you have any guts?

Well, my opinion hasn't changed despite the name-calling and false
accusations. Your site still sucks.

Brian

Brian Muth

Jan 6, 2009, 12:32:16 PM1/6/09

"Ajay Kalra" <ajay...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

On Jan 5, 4:34 pm, "Brian Muth" <bm...@mvps.org> wrote:
> This is an interesting rant. I find it fascinating that your
> original
> post was an attempt to steer people to your website, but you fail to
> appreciate that your responses are having the exact opposite effect.
>
> You are your own worst enemy.

I doubt if this will get thru.

--
Ajay

I agree entirely, Ajay. I have to admit, however, that I find this
thread immensely entertaining. I'm not sure what that says about
me.....

(but I have an inkling I'm about to find out!)

Brian

Ajay Kalra

Jan 6, 2009, 12:49:44 PM1/6/09
On Jan 6, 12:07 pm, pgad...@pg.invalid (pgadmin) wrote:

> That is how it all started, mr. smart fart.

Actually it did not. You guys are totally clueless. You are in wrong
industry/field.

> Now, when are you, cowards, are going to steop up to the plate
> and admit you have done all the rotten, destructive things
> you did, like cancelling posts, whining to provider, etc.?

Thats exactly as one would expect. Are you in your teens?

I am done with this thread as well. Party on...

--
Ajay

pgadmin

Jan 9, 2009, 12:10:45 PM1/9/09

In which way? SPECIFICALLY.
You see, it is one thing, to run your mealy mouth,
and it is a totally different thing,
when you substantiate it with specific details.

Why do you even bother with it?

There are so many things that suck,
that if you start pronouncing it all,
this group would be filled to the brim with garbage.

Seconly, why are you, ding dongs, posting this
crap in a technical group?

This has NOTHING to do with anything,
even remotely resembling reality.

Can't find your rubber ducky to play with,
and that is why you are posting all this garbage here?

:--}

>Brian

pgadmin

Jan 9, 2009, 12:16:25 PM1/9/09
Ths site is off-line again.
Looks like the hosting provider is having way too many
problems during the last month.

The site is being regenerated and move to a much better
provider.

Should be up shortly...

So, if you access the site at:

http://mfcgoldmine.by.ru/index.html

in may be dead at the moment.
Try later or wait till a new one comes up.

pgadmin

Jan 9, 2009, 5:50:04 PM1/9/09
MFC Goldmine is back on line.

It has a new look and a new site:

http://javagoldmine.site90.net/

The site has many added features, relevant links with comments,
newsfeed syndication, forums and more.

spamtr...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2009, 6:36:37 AM2/16/09
On Jan 4, 6:02 am, JC <jason.cipri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 3, 9:40 pm, pgad...@pg.invalid (pgadmin) wrote:

> > Now, can you find code examples on Google that have ANY
> > relevance to anything, if you can find any to begin with?

Answer: there is simply no way,
if you even BEGIN to comprehend what is involved
in doing such a thing.

And we are not even talking about Author's code,
meaning the ORIGINAL author, and not code,
found in followups. There may be many followups
including the author's code.

And once you add the author's level of competence,
then...

> http://www.google.com/search?q=atl+code+examples

Let us see the real story now, after slightly reformatting the totally
screwed up google formatting...

Google count: 297,000 for atl+code+examples

Wut?

> > One more time: do a search on Google and see how many hundreds
> > of thousands of utter garbage you would have to go thru
> > to find something you are looking for and look at you watch
> > to see how long did it take you.

> Minutes:

:--}

> http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+get+mouse+cursor+position

Google count: 291,000 for windows+get+mouse+cursor+position

>http://www.google.com/search?q=mfc+tree+view(first result is sufficient)

Google count: 373,000 for mfc+tree+view

And could care less what YOU consider to be "sufficient".

>http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+device+driver+tutorial

Google count: 234,000 for windows+device+driver+tutorial

>http://www.google.com/search?q=factory+pattern

Google count: 347,000 for factory+pattern

>http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+udp+code+examples

Google count: 123,000 for linux+udp+code+examples

And THAT is the bottom line of all this talk about
Google Garbage phenomenon.

From now on, they need to redesign they new version
of icon, that appears in your browser tab, and add
one more "g" to it.

GG

:--}

Now, the Goldmine collections have about 3 orders of magnitude
less garbage than what you can produce with google, using YOUR
filter specifications.

And that is for STARTERS, before you even do a site search.

If I give you MY filter specifications, you simply won't be able
to do it via google search in principle. Comprehende?

Question: how do you know that the articles showing first in google
search result list are any good? Or you are going to review all
hundreds of thousands of articles?

You see, there is such a thing as google ranking.
They have about 500k rules and variables to rank things.

Now, what do you expect to come up first in a multi-million
article long google search result list?

Guess.

Well, how bout the biggest and baddest of them all?
Those, you'd rather avoid at all cost. Because simply
by clicking on any of those links, you are going to get
a spam orgasm, and so much MORE marketing garbage
will be stuffed into your brain, that you'd better start
from the BOTTOM of google search result.

Comprehende?

[...]

> Hopefully you aren't implying that chronological order alone is
> sufficient for threaded discussions.

Articles, organized in chronological order within the same
Subject:, constitute a thread. By simply clicking on next/prev
article link, you are in fact traversing a thread.

On goldmine collections, Subject: header is a primary key,
and this header constitutes a thread.

Within each subject, the articles are organized in chronological
order, which is the 2nd key.

Threads that have their subject: header changed, are no
longer the same threads. Otherwise, what is the point of
changing a Subject: header?

If you organize your threads by Ref, another way of threading,
then you won't be able to see them in sorted order according
to Subject: header.

> IMHO, threaded grouping would
> greatly increase the accessibility of the information on your site.

It is ALREADY threaded. There are several known ways
to thread articles.

[...]