VC 6, INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR with precompiled headers and source on a samba share

Thomas Aho

Aug 22, 2003, 7:58:54 AM8/22/03
After having updated from NT4.0 SP6 to Win2000 SP4, I get the
following
message when compiling my projects:

D:\Programme\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\INCLUDE\xmemory(34) : fatal
error C1001: INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR
(compiler file 'E:\8966\vc98\p2\src\P2\p2symtab.c', line 932)
Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more
information
Error executing cl.exe.

Precompiled headers are used and the source resides on a samba share.

I have found three workarounds, none of them is that nice.

1) Keep all the sources in the local hard disk.

2) Turn off the use of precompiled headers.

3) Downgrade Win2000 to SP3 or to NT 4.0 :-(

Does anyone have a better solution?

Regards

Thomas