Atl control

Amiran

Jan 27, 2003, 6:20:16 AM1/27/03
I want develop costom controls
and I am beginer in this
I want recomendation haw begin
and what help chapter to read for this
Amiran

Alexander Nickolov

Jan 27, 2003, 5:41:59 PM1/27/03

You'll probably want to develop ActiveX Controls as the one most
accessible way to package a control. Unfortunately, no single all
encompassing book about ActiveX Controls exists... Here are some
books to read through:

"Inside COM" by Dale Rogerson, MS Press
If you've never done COM before, this is your basic introductory book

"Inside OLE" by Kraig Brockschmidt, MS Press
This one covers OLE - the precursor to ActiveX Controls and you
need to understand almost all of it... (keep in mind the former name
of the technology was OLE Controls...)

"ActiveX Controls Inside Out" by Adam Denning, MS Press
Fairly lightly touches on the subject, but it's the only book I know of
that has a theoretical chapter on OCX'96. Read chapter 3, the rest
is useless since it covers MFC which I don't recommend you ever
use in new development... It also has a chapter (chapter 13 I think)
on the Internet side of ActiveX Controls.

"ATL Internals" by Brent Rector and Chris Sells, Addison Wesley
ATL is the main framework you'll be using for writing ActiveX
Controls :) and this is the "bible" on the subject. Covers ActiveX
Controls the ATL way too.

"Professional ATL COM Programming" by Dr Richard Grimes, Wrox
Press
Rather lighter reading than "ATL Internals" and also has some
coverage (rather minimal) on ActiveX Controls. You may not need
it altogether if you feel comfortable with "ATL Internals" though.

--
Alexander Nickolov