Early Windows Design change? (Copy & Paste Key Combinations)

1 view

Larry Serflaten

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98
Several apps use Ctrl+C for Copy and Ctrl+V for paste.

I learned Ctrl+Insert for Copy and Shift+Insert for Paste.
AFAIK textboxes still support these key combinations.
VB Forms do as well....

Was there any reasoning behind the design of two different
key combinations producing the same effect?

LFS

Adrián Platte

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98
Hi Larry,

I think its an inheritance from old DOS Editor (Using Insert) and the
standard in Windows (Using Control).

Regards,

Adrian

Jeff Johnson

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98

Larry Serflaten wrote in message <35DD84...@mail.usinternet.com>...
>Several apps use Ctrl+C for Copy and Ctrl+V for paste.
>
>I learned Ctrl+Insert for Copy and Shift+Insert for Paste.
>AFAIK textboxes still support these key combinations.
>VB Forms do as well....
>
>Was there any reasoning behind the design of two different
>key combinations producing the same effect?

I was just mentioning this in a response to another post. I believe
Microsoft went the Ctrl+C etc. way because a lot of Mac folks are used to
that. I don't know for a fact if that's the reason.
Fortunately the Microsoft recommendation is that applications support both
sets of keys. I use my mouse with my left hand and that makes the
Ctrl+Insert combinations much more comfortable than Ctrl+C.
The problem is that A) some programmers just don't seem to delve too deeply
into recommendations and end up only supporting what they know, and B) VB
doesn't provide an easy way to associate more than one shortcut key
combination to a menu item. That means you have to implement these keys
yourself in KeyDown events unless you're dealing with a control that
intrinsically supports them.
What really bugs me is that they took away Shift+Delete in Explorer windows.
Now I must explicitly use Ctrl+X. Why couldn't they have used Ctrl+Delete
for "delete without sending to the Recycle Bin"? It was unused....

For folks that don't know:

Shift+Delete = Cut (Ctrl+X)
Ctrl+Insert = Copy (Ctrl+C)
Shift+Insert = Paste (Ctrl+V)
Alt+Backspace = Undo (Ctrl+Z)

Matthew Wills

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
Larry,

I vaguely think that the original was another GUI's (probably X Windows)
standard.

Matthew

Larry Serflaten <serf...@mail.usinternet.com> wrote in article

<35DD84...@mail.usinternet.com>...
> Several apps use Ctrl+C for Copy and Ctrl+V for paste.
>
> I learned Ctrl+Insert for Copy and Shift+Insert for Paste.
> AFAIK textboxes still support these key combinations.
> VB Forms do as well....
>
> Was there any reasoning behind the design of two different
> key combinations producing the same effect?
>

> LFS

monic...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/31/98
Hello! You mention below that VB doesn't provide an easy way to associate
more than one shortcut key combination to a menu item. I am wondering, does
that means it's possible at all?

My application requires support of multiple languages; I'd like to use
different shortcut keys that make sense to each language. According to my
documentation, the shortcut property is not available at run time.

Can you help?

Thank you!