Moving from This Newsgroup

Abhishek

Jun 6, 2010, 3:23:14 AM6/6/10

i think this will be a better place.
http://www.vbforums.com

David Kaye

Jun 6, 2010, 3:41:55 AM6/6/10
"Abhishek" <m...@server.com> wrote:

>i think this will be a better place.
>http://www.vbforums.com

Why? I hate the idea of a forum existing on the whim of someone who owns a
website. They take it down, they get bitchy, they use poor presentation
software and the forum becomes useless.

We don't have any of those 3 problems here on Usenet. Usenet is forever;
there are no moderators to get bitchy; and you can read the forums in any way
you desire -- News Xpress, Thunderbird, Outlook Express, Forte Agent --
whatever, they all present the newsgroups a little differently, so the user,
not a site administrator can decide what format fits their needs.

Abhishek

Jun 7, 2010, 11:35:11 PM6/7/10

becuase MS is shuting down this NG. :(

dpb

Jun 8, 2010, 9:01:34 AM6/8/10
Abhishek wrote:
> becuase MS is shuting down this NG. :(

Just point your newsreader client to another news server and it'll still
be there...

Abhishek

Jun 8, 2010, 9:27:37 AM6/8/10
how to ?

pls tell me.

"dpb" <no...@non.net> wrote in message

Henning

Jun 8, 2010, 9:58:52 AM6/8/10
Go to www.eternal-september.org
Register for an account
point your newsreader there
Within a few hours you can update groups

/Henning

"Abhishek" <m...@server.com> skrev i meddelandet

Mayayana

Jun 8, 2010, 10:00:44 AM6/8/10
eternal-september.org

Just go there and sign up. They will send you
an email with user/password. Use that to set
up a new news account in your news reader.
There are directions at their site. You just have
to set their server in the new news account,
set it up to log on, then download the list of
newsgroups like you would with your own ISP.

I use OE, which allows for any number of
news accounts, though I've already dropped
MSNews. I'm not sure about Thunderbird.
That has a rather poor design when it comes
to multiple accounts.

But you appear to be using
OE6 in XP, which is what I have. In that case
you can just go to Tools -> Accounts. Select the
News tab. Click Add -> News. Enter the usual.
Then for the server enter

news.eternal-september.org

Unlike an ISP newsreader, you need to also
fill in the fields for username and password
to log in. That's it. Then click "Newsgroups"
on the menu bar while you have the new ES
News selected in the left-side folder tree,
and the list will download. (If you have more
than 1 news server set up then the one that's
active is the one that's selected in the "Folders"
treeview.)