Updating FTSE 100 Symbol for 99/2000

1 view

Big Dave

Jun 6, 2005, 5:19:56 PM6/6/05
Hi

I have succesfully modified my .mny file to change the $US:FTSE symbol
to $GB:UKX using a hex editor.

First, make sure you have backed up your money file just in case.
Also, the file must not be password protected. Then using a hex editor
and search for the hex pattern for US:FTSE which is 55 00 53 00 3a 00
46 00 54 00 53 00 45 and change this to GB:UKX which is 47 00 42 00 3a
00 55 00 4b 00 58 00 00 00

After doing this I succesfully downloaded the FTSE 100 index.

Big Dave

Big Dave

Jun 6, 2005, 5:22:43 PM6/6/05

Rednelle

Jun 7, 2005, 12:59:27 PM6/7/05
At last some really useful information.

Many thanks, Big Dave

"Big Dave" <dual_c...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Big Dave

Jun 7, 2005, 5:22:51 PM6/7/05
Actually I did it for 2001, but the $US must be there somewhere for
the other versions.

jj.mac

Jun 8, 2005, 1:01:05 PM6/8/05
Hi

So is this the end of the road for Money 99 users?
The error messages that I had been receiving (Money 99) are listed below
although the currency exchange rate issue seems to have resolved itself.
“5 Items could not be processed.
Money was unable to receive currency exchange rates for the Euro. If the
problem persists go to the currencies tab in the Tools Options and disable
Online update for this currency.
The Symbol US:COMPX is invalid
The Symbol US:FTSE is invalid
The Symbol US:INDV is invalid
The Symbol US:INX is invalid.”
The symbol for the FTSE in Money 99 does not have the $ prefix which is
present in Money 2001. The new symbol is $GB:UKX which works in 2001. Is it
possible that dropping the $ prefix from the new symbol ie GB:UKX would
work in Money 99?
I have been unable to locate the US:FTSE code in the Money 99 .MNY file
because I do not know the ASCII string for US:FTSE but I have verified that
$US:FTSE is present in two locations Money 2001
I will be watching out for any further developments.

Cheers

"failsafe" wrote:

> Nope, not in Money2000, it just isn't there I'm afraid as far as I can see.
> As I say, in Money2000's .mny file there are 2 places that the FTSE is
> specified and both of them just have $FTSE in the file, not $US:FTSE.
> Microsoft obviously hard coded everything to be $US for this version and
> didn't bother storing the country part. There is an extra 2 bytes (i.e. 1
> char, as they're using 2 bytes per char for that bit!) after the null
> terminator of FTSE (if that's what the double zero after FTSE is), and I even
> tried using the next non-null after that to force what was $FTSE to be
> $GB:UKX, but to no avail. Money 2000 doesn't seem to read that section as a
> null terminated string, instead it truncated the $GB:UKX unfortunately.
>
> Anyway, the bottom line - Money2000 (and I assume any earlier version) seems
> stuffed so far as this patch is concerned unless anyone has any other ideas.
> I'm not going to frig with the executable itself, it just isn't worth it.
>
> Microsoft obviously actively decided to remove the FTSE from their site to
> 'encourage' an upgrade. But that's not the way that they'll pursuade me to
> upgrade I'm afraid. At least Money2001's file can be patched though.
>
> Cheers,
> Failsafe

mnyuser

Jun 9, 2005, 5:58:01 AM6/9/05
For Money 2K users

To avoid getting the annoying FTSE symbol error message goto:
1) Portfolio>Update Prices>Pick quotes to downlod...
2) Scroll down to 'FTSE (London)' investment and un-check the box and hit OK.

To track the FTSE index I've added the FTSE as an investment, details:
Country : Great Britain; Symbol : $UKX
However the quote is displayed as '49.89' rather than '4989'. But this still
allows you to accurately follow %changes in the FTSE and use the FTSE
investment to compare against other investments in the Price History chart.

"failsafe" wrote:

> Nope, not in Money2000, it just isn't there I'm afraid as far as I can see.
> As I say, in Money2000's .mny file there are 2 places that the FTSE is
> specified and both of them just have $FTSE in the file, not $US:FTSE.
> Microsoft obviously hard coded everything to be $US for this version and
> didn't bother storing the country part. There is an extra 2 bytes (i.e. 1
> char, as they're using 2 bytes per char for that bit!) after the null
> terminator of FTSE (if that's what the double zero after FTSE is), and I even
> tried using the next non-null after that to force what was $FTSE to be
> $GB:UKX, but to no avail. Money 2000 doesn't seem to read that section as a
> null terminated string, instead it truncated the $GB:UKX unfortunately.
>
> Anyway, the bottom line - Money2000 (and I assume any earlier version) seems
> stuffed so far as this patch is concerned unless anyone has any other ideas.
> I'm not going to frig with the executable itself, it just isn't worth it.
>
> Microsoft obviously actively decided to remove the FTSE from their site to
> 'encourage' an upgrade. But that's not the way that they'll pursuade me to
> upgrade I'm afraid. At least Money2001's file can be patched though.
>
> Cheers,
> Failsafe

Rednelle

Jun 9, 2005, 7:59:58 AM6/9/05
I have done much the same; with these tweaks:

In 'Investing Centre' 'Change account details' hit the 'Rename' button
against 'Account name' and uncheck the 'Allow cash transactions' box. Check
the boxes for 'Watch Account' and 'Tax exempt'.

In 'Investing Centre' ' Investment transactions' edit your 'Buy' (of FTSE
100) to Quantity 0.0002 and Price to 0.01
Together these actions will ensure the market value is £0.01 which will not
upset total portfolio value.

If you do want to track the Dow Industrials Index the symbol is $US:INDU
Set the Account currency to US Dollars
Quantity to 0.000001 and Price to 0.01

Rednelle

"mnyuser" <mny...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message