Vista and SQL Server 2005 install problems

moondog

Mar 22, 2007, 2:22:58 PM3/22/07
I cannot install SQL Server 2005 on Vista. I cannot install any
service pack because the initial installation failed.

I've tried uninstalling are re-installing. I've tried sp1 and then
sp2. I've tried sp2 only. Nothing works.

Any solutions out there?

Jens K. Suessmeyer

Mar 23, 2007, 9:03:16 AM3/23/07

"moondog" <dis...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Jens K. Suessmeyer

Mar 23, 2007, 9:03:34 AM3/23/07
Which edition did you try to install ? Which error did you get ?

Jens K. Suessmeyer.

---
http://www.sqlserver2005.de
---

moondog

Mar 23, 2007, 11:00:16 PM3/23/07
I am trying to install SQL Server Developer Edition 2005.

Here are the steps I am taking:

I select the "x86-based operation systems" installation.

I select to install "Server Components, Tools, Books Online, and
samples"

I get a message saying "This program has known compatibility issues".
(which I thought would have been fixed with a service pack by now). I
click the "Run Program" button.

I check the box to accept licensing terms and conditions and click
"Next"

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 setup support files installed successfully.
"Next", "Next"

System configuration check: All successful except two: IIS feature
requirement (IIS is not installed) , Edition Change Check (If I want
to change editions of SQL Server, I need to run from command line).
Neither of these should prevent a proper installation. "Next"

I enter my product key successfully. "Next"

I check everything except "reporting services" which is disabled
probably because IIS is not installed. "Next"

Default instance. "Next"

Use built-in system account: Local system. "Next"

Windows Authentication Mode. "Next"

SQL Collations. "Next"

"Install"

A message box appears: "Error 1706. Setup cannot find the required
files. Check your connection to the network, or CD-ROM drive. For
other potential solutions to this problem, see C:\Program Files
\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\1033\SETUP.CHM." I click "OK" and the
install continues.

Setup fails for OWC11, SQL Server Database Services, Analysis
Services, Notification Services, and Integration Services. "Next"

"Finish"

I looked at that Setup.chm, but it looks like a help file for Office,
not SQL Server.

Is anybody else having this problem?

Jens K. Suessmeyer

Mar 24, 2007, 6:29:44 AM3/24/07
Try to install the OWC Office Web components on your own. That helped in
many cases. run the setup afterwards.

Jens K. Suessmeyer.

---
http://www.sqlserver2005.de
---

"moondog" <dis...@verizon.net> wrote in message

moondog

Mar 24, 2007, 6:04:46 PM3/24/07
That helped. I think I'm almost there. It said everything installed
successfully. However, I don't see an icon on the desktop nor a
listing for it under "All Programs" in the start menu. I do see a
folder called "Microsoft SQL Server 2005" on the list, but there is
only one item in it, a subfolder called "Configuration Tools". And in
that folder are four items only: "Notification Services Command
Prompt", "Reporting Services Configuration", "SQL Server Configuration
Manager", "SQL Server Error and Usage Reporting", "SQL Server Surface
Area Configuration". I don't see the new SQL Server Management tool
that replaces Enterprise Manager and Query Analyzer.

I look in Control Panel to see the list of installed programs and SQL
Server 2005 is listed there, but how do I get to it?

moondog

Mar 28, 2007, 2:52:35 AM3/28/07
Problem solved.

Thanks to David P. on another thread titled "can't install sql
developer on vista" :
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.sqlserver.server/browse_thread/thread/8bd49adac0123e49/d2a6e18df6365164?lnk=st&q=vista+sql+server+2005+management+studio&rnum=7&hl=en#d2a6e18df6365164

Resolution:
-Go to Programs and Features
-Right Click Microsoft Sql Server 2005 and select Uninstall
-Check ONLY the box that says Workstation Tools (don't uninstall Sql
Express
unless you don't want it)
-Click Next and finish the Uninstall of the Workstation Components
-Run setup for Sql Dev edition

Thank you Jens K. Suessmeyer for your help and thanks to David P. on
the rest of it.

Microsoft needs to improve its Visual Studio/SQL Server installation
on Vista because I think many others will have the same problems I've
had and may just give up and return the product. This also will make
people hesitate to upgrade to Vista.

dbon...@gmail.com

May 12, 2007, 11:37:40 AM5/12/07
Thank you moondog & David P. Perfect, concise and effective steps!!!