sql 2000 enterprise 64bit install

1 view

will gerrish

Jul 11, 2006, 10:09:02 AM7/11/06
Could someone please help?

I've just installed windows 2003 stardard 64bit on my dell poweredge 6800
and im now trying to install sql 2000 enterprise 64bit and im getting an
error message saying "the image file Z:\setup.exe is valid, but is for a
machine type other than the current machine".

I checked on the web and as far as i can find is that sql 2000 64bit just
needs a 64bit windows server 2003 version.

a bit more detail about my server

dell power edge 6800
Dual Intel xeon MP 2.6MHz
4gb memeory.

any help i would be very greatful

thanks

will gerrish

Geoff N. Hiten

Jul 11, 2006, 10:40:25 AM7/11/06
You are probably trying to install the Itanium 64-bit image rather than the
x64 (AMD/Intel) image. Both are 64-bit, but the Xeon series processors will
require the x64 code. Note that you can load the 32-bit SQL image on the
64-bit OS, but I wouldn't recommend it.

--
Geoff N. Hiten
Senior Database Administrator

"will gerrish" <willg...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

will gerrish

Jul 11, 2006, 11:22:02 AM7/11/06
ok thanks geoff

Sirius

Jul 13, 2006, 11:24:02 PM7/13/06
I ran into the same error. I was unable to find any other non-Itananium x64
install on the CD's. Wasn't this when the big 64 push by MS and Intel was
to the Itanium?
Investigation found that there was no x64 version for my x64 hardware on the
SQL 2000 Enterprise cd's- but installing the 32 bit version and then SP4
would work- was supported. I was told the I had to run 2005 ent to get P4
64, Xeon 64 or AMD 64 bit SQL. Is this not correct?

"will gerrish" <willg...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Geoff N. Hiten

Jul 14, 2006, 2:58:42 PM7/14/06
There is no x64 version of SQL 2000. SQL 2000 is available for x86 and
Itanium processors. SQL 2005 is available in x86, x64 and Itanium editions.

--

"Sirius" <Sir...@Star.com> wrote in message