"The problem could be caused by a low registry quota condition" during installation

Gabriel Lozano-Morán

Jul 18, 2005, 1:20:40 AM7/18/05
Hello reader

I have never ever had the following error message before during the
installation of SQL Server Developer Edition 2000 on a client running
Windows XP Pro SP2 using an account with administrator privileges:
"An error occurred while creating one or more registry entries. Please see
C:\Windows\sqlstp.log for details. The problem could be caused by a low
registry quota condition."

Looking on the internet I have only found several people who had the same
problem but nobody gave a solution. What I have done to find the cause for
this problem was to run the Registry Monitor tool which can be found on
sysinternals.com to monitor what was causing this "Registry error".

I saw that I got several access denies to the following registry key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.col

In RegEdit I noticed that the permissions for this key were set to
read-only. I have changed this for the Administrator to full-control and the
installation of SQL Server worked fine.

I am still wandering why the user account with adminstrator privileges did
not have full control over the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.col key? Has anybody
encountered the same behaviour? Any ideas?

Gabriel Lozano-Morán
MCAD .NET
Sogeti Belgium

unkel

May 2, 2006, 7:09:30 AM5/2/06

Thanks a lot for sharing!

Your solution worked for me too

--
unkel

oscarmunich

May 15, 2006, 5:55:27 AM5/15/06

Gabriel Lozano-Morán wrote:
> *Hello reader
> Sogeti Belgium *

Saved me a lot of time. Thanks

I have also installed the dev. edition on several system. I think the
difference for me is that it is the first time on a system with XP sp2
pre-installed.

--
oscarmunich

Lone Gunman

May 25, 2006, 2:00:13 PM5/25/06

I also want to thank you for the solution. This problem also occures
with Server 2003 R2 ( Server 2003 with SP1 and new features disk ) and
SQL Server 2000. Strange how the permissions are correct for Server
2003.

--
Lone Gunman

Julie

Aug 2, 2006, 2:47:51 PM8/2/06
This works for me as well!

Thanks for sharing!

TheBigKahuna

Mar 3, 2007, 6:23:02 PM3/3/07
THANKS - this fixed my SQL/Server 2000 installation problems as well.

K M

Mar 3, 2007, 6:22:46 PM3/3/07