Server Generated URLs Producing Errors - SSRS 2005

Dave Green

Jul 26, 2006, 10:14:46 AM7/26/06
After we upgraded to SSRS 2005, I started noticing that exterior
application links stopped working. I then tested the problem be
creating a new subscription that generated an email and was hoping I
could compare the links to see what was wrong. Unfortunately, the
links generated by the server do not work anymore either.

The link that is generated from a subscription email:

http://<server>:2005/reportserver?%2fLoss+Prevention%2fMark+Down+Analysis&District=Arizona&rs%3aParameterLanguage=en-US

The error:

The type Microsoft.ReportingServices.UI.WebControlConnection,
ReportingServicesWebUserInterface, Version=9.0.242.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91 does not implement
IReportServerConnection or could not be found

I can get around this error by removing two keys from the
\ReportManager\Web.Config file:

<add key="ReportViewerServerConnection"
value="Microsoft.ReportingServices.UI.WebControlConnection,
ReportingServicesWebUserInterface, Version=9.0.242.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91" />
<add key="ReportViewerTemporaryStorage"
value="Microsoft.ReportingServices.UI.ReportViewerTemporaryStorage,
ReportingServicesWebUserInterface, Version=9.0.242.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91" />

If I remove these, the links start working again, but when I access a
report through the report manager I get the following error:

The attempt to connect to the report server failed. Check your
connection information and that the report server is a compatible
version.

So, I can get SSRS to work within the report manager or with external
links (even those generated by the server), but not both. We have done
this successfully for 2 years with SSRS 2000.

Any new ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

robbie...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2006, 3:24:00 PM8/24/06
I did the same test and had the same result. I'm trying to make the
best of the situation. We're using MOSS 2007 Beta 2 and trying to place
these reports inside it. We really don't need SSRS 2005 as an
independant standalone platform so I eventually opt to hide those two
keys. If you really need the SSRS 2005 to be active, create a seperate
box/hosting environment for the duplicate server. When you publish one
report to one server, turn around and push it out to the other server.
Otherwise, build a robust navigation inside one main report and have
that as the "SSRS Navigation" element you'll miss by hiding those keys.

*ehem* Someone from Microsoft should chime in here and help us
developers out.

Proffitt@discussions.microsoft.com Jacob Proffitt

Feb 21, 2007, 2:54:05 PM2/21/07
I had this same problem and figured out what was happening. I don't know if,
like me, you out-cleverred yourself by changing the root directory for a web
to the ReportManager directory, but that turns out to be the key. I'd be
willing to bet that a lot of people do this if only to simplify Urls for
their users. The thing is, you see, that IIS inherits config settings based
on the Url of an application, so if you have ReportManager at your root, then
ReportServer's config inherits all those settings from ReportManager's
web.config. This is why removing the appSettings from the ReportManager
web.config fixes the issue with ReportServer even as it breaks the
ReportManager.

Once I realized what was happening, the fix is actually relatively painless.
Just add an <appSettings> section in the web.config in ReportServer and give
a clear directive.

<appSettings>
<clear />
</appSettings>

That clears the inherited values for appSettings and ReportServer is good to
go. This change enabled both the root ReportManager to work as well as the
ReportServer viewer control.

Jacob