Microsoft says "Use multiple datasets rather than subreports" ?

Billy

Aug 29, 2007, 2:04:32 PM8/29/07
Hi-

Microsoft says "Use multiple datasets rather than subreports" - here's
one example but they have it ALL OVER the place:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159268.aspx
Here's a snippet: "When deciding whether to use a subreport, you may
want to consider using a data region instead. Because the report
server processes each instance of a subreport as a separate report,
performance can be impacted. Data regions provide much of the same
functionality and flexibility as subreports, but with better
performance."

My problem is - I cannot get it to work. I have Parent and Child data
regions and related Parent and Child datasets. However, I cannot link
them together in the same fashion as a subreport would do using a
parameter.

My example would be a Client which has multiple Contacts and also
multiple Products.

The parent would show the Client name and all the Contacts. Then
beneath that would be all the Clients products. After that would be
the next client... and so on...

Can someone PLEASE help me here?

Bruce L-C [MVP]

Aug 29, 2007, 3:07:01 PM8/29/07
Data regions are great IF they match what you are trying to do. They cannot
do parent-child/master-detail relationships. Subreports are the only way to
do this.

For instance, let's say you are are doing master detail but only showing one
master record and all the detail. Both master and detail can be retrieved
using the same parameter. Put the master in a data region at the top and
then the detail in another data region. However, you want multiple master
records and have the detail records showing for each master record then you
have to use subreports.

--
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services

"Billy" <Wolf...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Billy

Aug 29, 2007, 3:23:49 PM8/29/07
Thanks brother...

Please get that information to Microsoft as their documentation
implies that multiple data sets/regions are:
1) A VALID ALTERNATVIE TO SUBREPORTS
2) A PREFERRED METHOD TO SUBREPORTS

...and I've spent 2 days di(k1n& around trying to get it to work.

I'll just create a good old subreport and be done with it.

- B