Upgrading RS2k db to RS2k5

Matt

Nov 10, 2005, 12:04:06 PM11/10/05
Using the Reporting Services Configuration Manager I click on Database Setup
and attempt to generate a script to upgrade my database. Unfortunately the
script doesn't generate and I see the following error:

ReportServicesConfigUI.WMIProvider.WMIProviderException: The resources
required to complete this operation could not be found.

at
ReportServicesConfigUI.WMIProvider.RSReportServerAdmin.GenerateDatabaseUpgradeScript(String databaseName, String serverVersion, String& script)

Any ideas what the problem is here?

Michael Cheng [MSFT]

Nov 11, 2005, 12:48:45 AM11/11/05
Hi Matt,

Welcome to use MSDN Managed Newsgroup!

From your descriptions, I understood you encounter the error message

ReportServicesConfigUI.WMIProvider.WMIProviderException: The resources
required to complete this operation could not be found.

when clicking "Database Setup". If I have misunderstood your concern,
please feel free to point it out.

What's the status of your Server? Is it possible for you to show a print
screen here?

If scenario permits, would you please reinstall WMI and Reporting Services
with the sequence below?

1. REMOVE Reporting Services
2. Reinstall WMI as described in article below

Reinstalling WMI
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wmisdk/wmi/
reinstalling_wmi.asp

3. Reinstall Reporting Services

concerns, don't hesitate to let me know. We are always here to be of
assistance!

Sincerely yours,

Michael Cheng
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Matt

Nov 11, 2005, 5:38:07 AM11/11/05
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply. I tried your suggestion but I'm still seeing the same
error unfortunately. Actually when I click the "Upgrade" button (rather than
try to generate a script) I see the following message:

Creating upgrade script for database version C.0.6.54.
Couldn't generate the upgrade script. There is no upgrade script available
for this database version.

I'm trying to upgrade the report server database running on SQL Server 2000.
As I understand, Reporting Services 2005 will work fine with a report server
database running on SQL Server 2000. I've tried creating a new report server
database from scratch and this works fine.

I want to upgrade a RS2k report server database running on SQL Server 2000
to a RS2k5 report server database. I'm beginning to wonder whether this is a
possible upgrade path.

Michael Cheng [MSFT]

Nov 14, 2005, 6:36:28 AM11/14/05
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the clarification.

If you want to upgraded your Report Server database, please check topic
"Migrating Reporting Services" in Books Online, the article provides
step-by-step instructions for migrating a SQL Server 2000 Reporting
Services deployment to a new SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services instance.
You can migrate a Reporting Services installation by installing a new
instance and copying into it server and instance data from an existing
installation. The migration process for Reporting Services includes manual
and automated steps.

I excerpted steps here for your reference

Backup Files and Data
1. Back up the symmetric key for their report server database. Use the
rskeymgmt utility to perform this operation.

2. Back up the report server database using any of the supported methods
for backing up a SQL Server database.

3. For high availability report servers, set the report server database to
read-only and modify the RSExec role on the SQL Server database engine to
stop transactions in the report server databases.

4. Back up the report server configuration files. Files to back up include:
- Rsreportserver.config
- Rswebapplication.config
- Rssvrpolicy.config
- Rsmgrpolicy.config
- Reportingservicesservice.exe.config
- Web.config for both the Report Server and Report Manager ASP.NET
applications.

5. Back up the report server virtual directory settings.

Create a SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services Installation
1. Run SQL Server 2005 Setup and choose Reporting Services. If you are
prompted to upgrade, you can decline the upgrade option to install a new
report server instance.

2. Specify a files-only installation. In the SQL Server Installation
Wizard, select the Install but do not configure the server option. If you
are installing from the command line, specify RSCONFIGURATION=filesonly.

3. Finish setup.

4. Restore the report server database you backed up from the previous
installation to the new instance.

Configure a Report Server
1. Start the Reporting Services Configuration tool and connect to the
report server instance you just installed.

2. Create virtual directories for the report server and Report Manager.
Virtual directory names must be unique, so if you used the default names in
the existing installation you must choose non-default names.

3. Specify service accounts for the Report Server Windows service and Web
service.

4. Configure the database by doing the following:
- In the Database Setup page, choose the restored report server database.
- Select Upgrade database.
- Specify the account used to connect to the report server database.

5. Restore the symmetric key by doing the following:
- In the Encryption Key page, select Restore key.
- Select the file that contains the symmetric key.
- Type the password, and click OK.

6. Verify the report server is running by opening a browser and typing
http://localhost/reportserver in the URL address.
7. Open the new configuration files created for the new report server
instance and copy into the files any entries you modified from the first
installation.
- Add configuration settings for custom extensions. Before you can use
them, you must have recompiled the extensions to use the Common Language
Runtime (CLR) provided in Visual Studio 2005.
- Copy other settings that do not use default values.
- Do not copy encrypted values.

8. In Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS), if you used custom
virtual directory settings, update the virtual directories you created in
the Reporting Services Configuration tool to use the new values.

9. Uninstall SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services.

10. Rename the virtual directories to the names used in the previous
installation.

Matt

Nov 14, 2005, 8:21:02 AM11/14/05
Thanks for your detailed reply, Michael.

I followed the steps to perform the upgrade but unfortunately I'm still
seeing an error when I try to upgrade the database:

Creating upgrade script for database version C.0.6.54.
Couldn't generate the upgrade script. There is no upgrade script available
for this database version.

Can you confirm that it should be possible in theory to upgrade a RS2k
report server database to a RS2k5 report server database whilst remaining on
the SQL Server 2000 database platform (i.e. without upgrading the database
server)?

Thanks,
Matt.

Michael Cheng [MSFT]

Nov 15, 2005, 3:14:33 AM11/15/05
Hi Matt,

>> Can you confirm that it should be possible in theory to upgrade a RS2k
>> report server database to a RS2k5 report server database whilst
remaining on
>> the SQL Server 2000 database platform (i.e. without upgrading the
database
>> server)?

I am sorry that it is not possible to remain the Report Server database on
SQL Server 2000 if you want to upgrade to SQL Server 2005 Reporting
Services.

Asher_N

Nov 15, 2005, 8:42:13 AM11/15/05
Is this something that changed with RTM???

I've done just that with the Tech previews with no problems.

v-mi...@online.microsoft.com (Michael Cheng [MSFT]) wrote in

Bruce L-C [MVP]

Nov 15, 2005, 9:57:17 AM11/15/05
You are incorrect. This is fully supported (and I just did it). You can
upgrade to RS 2005 without having the database engine going to 2005. The
database used for the object/metadata gets updated but the database version
stays the same (i.e. all you are doing is updating data/schema etc but SQL
Server is left alone). You do need to have a 2005 license.

Just run the setup, select only Reporting Services and away it goes.

Just an FYI, the upgrade leaves the rdl definition alone. To upgrade these I
opened in the designer, converted them, saved and deployed. In my case this
was necessary, I had errors with this type of expression:

="Some text " & Parameters!MyParam.Label

After converting and deploying the error went away.

BTW, I was pleasantly surprised at the performance increase. Most likely a
lot of that was due to the use of framework 2.0 and asp.net 2.0 etc but
still very real performance increase.

--
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services

"Michael Cheng [MSFT]" <v-mi...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Michael Cheng [MSFT]

Nov 16, 2005, 2:37:29 AM11/16/05
Hi Matt,

I apologized that it's my mistake that this we DO support upgrading to
Reporting Services 2005 while keep using the database in SQL Server 2000.
Thanks so much for MVP Bruce point it out.

I have tested this on my side and I could generate the scripts
successfully. Please perform the steps below and let me know whether it
could work on your side

1. Confirm the version of SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services, SP1 or SP2
2. Generate the Database Scripts manually
- Click button "Script..."
- Complete "Upgrade Database Script", specifying the Report Server's
version and execute it manually
- Complete "Grant Rights Script" and execute it manually

Michael Cheng [MSFT]

Nov 17, 2005, 4:52:10 AM11/17/05
Hi Bruce,

Thanks so much for the reply. You are right.

There are two considerations for this scenario:

1) if RS and SQL are in the same instance then you cannot upgrade the one
without the other - this is how setup is designed that you cannot have
components at different versions within a single instance.

2) if RS and SQL are in different instances, usually the catalog is remote,
but not necessarily (say a named instance of SQL engine and the default
instance containing RS 2000), then you can upgrade SQL and RS
independently. This is a design point of RS upgrade.

In case 2, only the RS database schema is upgraded. This is the only thing
that 'makes sense' since if you have a remote SQL engine you're not going
to reach over and upgrade that instance remotely.

Bruce L-C [MVP]

Nov 17, 2005, 10:21:17 AM11/17/05
Sorry. Not true. Two different actions totally. Updating the engine,
updating RS. Updating RS is updating an asp.net application that has data in
SQL Server 2000. When running update pick just RS. SQL Server will stay
2000. I am running RS and SQL Server on the same box, default instance,
default everything. After updating RS I can do a select @@version and it
returns this:

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.2039 (Intel X86) May 3 2005 23:18:38
Copyright (c) 1988-2003 Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition on Windows
NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 1)

As you see, SQL Server has stayed the same.

This is very important because it allows updating RS (which I highly
recommend) without having to go to SQL Server 2005. Most corporations
upgrade database versions very carefully. In my case if I want any corporate
support for the Database Server I need to leave it at 2000. I am the one
responsible for Reporting Services so I can take that to any version I want.
I think this will not be atypical in large companies.

So, to be clear, updating RS is totally independent from updating the
database Engine.

RS does update schema, etc in the ReportServer database but that does not
affect the SQL Server Engine, it stays at 2000.

For anyone else reading this, this does not change any licensing issues. A
SQL Server 2005 license is still required.

Feel free to email me directly (remove NOSPAM) if you wish to discuss
further.

--
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services

"Michael Cheng [MSFT]" <v-mi...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Matt

Jan 4, 2006, 5:05:24 AM1/4/06
Hi Michael,

I did exactly as you did but I'm still getting an error no matter which
options I choose:

ReportServicesConfigUI.WMIProvider.WMIProviderException: The resources
required to complete this operation could not be found.

at
ReportServicesConfigUI.WMIProvider.RSReportServerAdmin.GenerateDatabaseUpgradeScript(String databaseName, String serverVersion, String& script)

I've reinstalled the software a couple of times and I'm still getting the
problem. I downloaded the SQL Server 2005 DVD from MSDN and I'm installing it
on a Virtual PC 2004 with Win2k3 installed although I don't think this should
cause this problem.

I think I'm going to have to raise this with MS. Thanks for the confirmation
that it should work though.

Cheers,
Matt.

Michael Cheng [MSFT]

Jan 5, 2006, 8:53:46 PM1/5/06
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the update.

For you scenario now, I believe we should analysis software behavior deeply
and this work have to be done by opening a Support incident with Microsoft
Customer Service and Support so that a dedicated Support Professional can
assist with this case. If you need any help in this regard, please let me
know.

For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support phone
numbers, please go to the following address on the World Wide Web:
http://support.microsoft.com/directory/overview.asp

Thanks for your understanding. Your cooperation is appreciated, and will
result in a more efficient troubleshooting process.

Matt

Jan 6, 2006, 4:11:02 AM1/6/06
Hi Michael,

I raised this with PSS but managed to find the solution in the meantime. For
the benefit of anyone else that experiences this issue I'll list my
resolution here:

When trying to generate the upgrade script I ran FileMon to try to
understand if there were any disk resources were missing. FileMon came back
with:

09:20:04 wmiprvse.exe:3532 OPEN C:\Program
Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\2057\ReportServerSetupResources.rll
PATH NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All

I checked the installation and sure enough it wasn't there. 2057 is the code
for UK English.

To resolve this I copied the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\90\Shared\1033 folder to the same location and renamed it to 2057. I
re-ran the upgrade script and it generated successfully.

I guess the application that generates the upgrade script gets the current
language from the OS settings (in my case UK English).

I then managed to upgrade my SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services database
successfully after running the script.

Thanks for all your help and the replies everyone posted.

Cheers,
Matt.

Michael Cheng [MSFT]

Jan 8, 2006, 2:05:43 AM1/8/06
Hi Matt,

It's great to hear you have resolved it and I believe many of the
communities, including me, will benefit from this invaluable inputs.

Have a good day!

Brano

Jan 10, 2006, 4:44:39 AM1/10/06
Hello Matt,

> 09:20:04 wmiprvse.exe:3532 OPEN C:\Program
> Files\Microsoft SQL
> Server\90\Shared\2057\ReportServerSetupResources.rll
> PATH NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All

> I checked the installation and sure enough it wasn't there. 2057 is the code
> for UK English.

> To resolve this I copied the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
> Server\90\Shared\1033 folder to the same location and renamed it to 2057. I
> re-ran the upgrade script and it generated successfully.

> I guess the application that generates the upgrade script gets the current
> language from the OS settings (in my case UK English).

thanks a lot for this post, it helped me. I cannot run filemon,
because I get some time ago some spyware here, and my admin account
has no debug privileges, so I cant check which file is missing.

But I found LCID(decimal) on webpages for my locale (slovak), it is
1051, copied that dir to this one and everything works fine.

I give you ++ :)

--
Best regards,
Brano mailto:2...@2NOgeSPAM.us

Matt

Jan 10, 2006, 4:58:02 AM1/10/06
Hello Brano

> But I found LCID(decimal) on webpages for my locale (slovak), it is
> 1051, copied that dir to this one and everything works fine.

Glad to hear this resolved your problem too... and also that I'm not the
only one experiencing this problem!

Thanks,
Matt.