Pagination question - retrieve only records for each page

fparc

Dec 6, 2006, 10:15:53 PM12/6/06
I want to provide paged access to data. Rather than displaying the
entire contents of a report or query to an end user, I want to show
only a subset of records per web page, with controls for moving from
page to page. I have a large result set and only want to selectively
retrieve only those records that should be shown for the particular
page. I know how to do this in ASP.NET but I'm new to Report Server.
Thanks

Kaisa M. Lindahl Lervik

Dec 7, 2006, 7:40:00 AM12/7/06
This is default Reporting Services behavior.
RS will give you the functions to move from page to page.
You have to design the report to use parameters, and then add formatting to
the report to make it break over several pages.

If you have the SQL Server 2005 setup available, install the Report Designer
on your workstation and play around with it. (Or download a trial version of
SS 2005) There are lots of good articles to get you going. A good place to
start is with William Pearson's articles about Reporting Services at
http://www.databasejournal.com/article.php/1459531 (scroll down to find
them).

Kaisa M. Lindahl Lervik
"fparc" <fp...@aol.com> wrote in message

fparc

Dec 7, 2006, 9:06:03 PM12/7/06
Thanks for the link. What a great resource. I was thinking of
pagination in terms of record retrieval instead of page breaks. I want
to query 50 records at a time so I don't tax the database. After
looking at it a bit I think I will try to use the TimeStamp field as
the index. So I put a text box that holds the Last timestamp of the
group of TOP 50. I make the textbox a 'Jump to URL' and pass the last
timestamp on the end of the URL to open the new report page. One
problem; I can't get the parameterize URL to work in Report Server. I'm
using the wrox Professional SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services book but
the URL format they give is wrong(a pre-release book no doubt). So now
I need to find a good simple test to see if I can get this working
first. Know of any good tutorials on passing params in URL for Report
Server?

fparc

Dec 12, 2006, 11:34:01 AM12/12/06

I got the parameterize URL to work in Report Server. I was wrong about
the wrox Professional SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services book being
wrong. I was using "http://server/SQLReports/Pages/Folder.aspx?"
instead of "http://server/ReportServer?/folder/file" in my Jump URL.
Now I have 12 parameters including the TimeStamp the user can choose
from. By choosing the Allow Blank Value property from the Report
Parameters Dialog Box, the user can fill in all or none of the
parameter text boxes for various searches - except the Timestamp which
defaults to =Now.
My SQL pulls TOP 50 records. When the user clicks on the 'Jump to URL'
text box the timestamp param of the 50th record is passed in the URL to
pull the next 50.
Now I have a type text column filled with XML in which there are 2
things we need to pull - an email and/or an event_code. My next step is
to change the table column from text to the XML type to speed up the
searches on that column. Here's what I've found so far.
http://www.developer.com/db/article.php/3531196
http://www.15seconds.com/issue/050803.htm
http://davidhayden.com/blog/dave/archive/2006/04/11/2909.aspx
http://www.ftponline.com/vsm/2005_06/magazine/features/rjennings/