Why client machine takes too much memory and CPU cycles

1 view

Sri

Oct 6, 2002, 8:42:04 PM10/6/02
I have a quite big MDX query executing against SQL2K OLAP services. I use a
web server (2 proc 1 GB) box as a client connecting to OLAP server to run
the queries.
When I execute the query, I see only a small spike in the box that runs OLAP
server, but the web server which is a client uses a lot of memory and 100%
of CPU cycles (in both CPUs).

Why is this behavior? How can I make the query run in the OLAP server and
only return the results.

I use ADOMD to connect to the server.

Any ideas?

Sri

Jérôme Poudou

Oct 6, 2002, 9:37:15 PM10/6/02
the most processing time come from the rendering process.

I think your render code can be optimized.

Also, to ensure the process, you can force the execution of the query at the
server side (see the options of your connection string)
Because, for example, if your query return less then 1000 members by
dimension in your query, all the data is retrieve to the client and the
calculated members are calculated on the client side.
Change the option to execute the entire query in your OLAP server.

also, you can try the XML/A access + XSLT to transform the result.

"Sri" <ml_s...@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
OWO#voZbCHA.1332@tkmsftngp08...

Sri

Oct 7, 2002, 9:41:19 AM10/7/02
Thanks Jerome for your tips. I also checked old news messages and found out
the two Connection string options to make the MDX run completely in the
server. I guess Execution Location=3 is to make the query run in the
server.

This is the connection string I use.
"Provider=MSOLAP.2;Persist Security Info=False;Data Source=OLAPSRVR;Initial
Catalog=ClickStreamStats;Client Cache Size=25;Auto Synch
Period=100000;Execution Location=3;Default Isolation Mode=1"

Now, when I use this connection string I get an error "Connection to the
server is lost". Then I tried Execution Location=0 (default) and the am
ablt to get the results back.

Any cluem why is it not working? Am I missing something?

Thanks
Sri

"Jérôme Poudou" <jerome...@merkurium.com> wrote in message

Jérôme Poudou

Oct 7, 2002, 9:49:10 AM10/7/02
have you tried to put only the execute location option without the other
options ?
> "Provider=MSOLAP.2;Data Source=OLAPSRVR;Initial
> Catalog=ClickStreamStats;Execution Location=3"

"Sri" <ml_s...@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:

uTew6cgbCHA.1688@tkmsftngp09...

Sri

Oct 7, 2002, 11:21:48 AM10/7/02
Thanks again!.

The problem is fixed. I had to install Analysis services Service Pack 2 in
the client machine. Server already had SP2. It worked for the same
connection string I used earlier (the one that gave me an error). Now all my
queries are executed in the OLAP server.

"Provider=MSOLAP.2;Persist Security Info=False;Data Source=OLAPSRVR;Initial
Catalog=ClickStreamStats;Client Cache Size=25;Auto Synch
Period=100000;Execution Location=3;Default Isolation Mode=1"

Thanks.

"Jérôme Poudou" <jerome...@merkurium.com> wrote in message

ccima

Oct 30, 2002, 9:15:59 AM10/30/02
I have your same problem. I did what you wrote but my query run on client againt!
I try to run an update cube query.
Any idea?!

Thank you in advance