Can one instance listen on multi IP Addresses?

Chen

Oct 11, 2006, 11:36:01 AM10/11/06
Hi Everybody,

Is it possible to configure one virtual SQL server named instance to listen
on multi IP Address those additional IP Addresses associate with different
virtual SQL network name?

At the result like for example: SQL Server 2005 EE installed on (Windows
2003 64 bit OS cluster server) named instance SQL-V01\test1, it listen on IP
172.11.1.10. And it also should listens on IP 172.11.1.11, virtual network
name is SQL-V02\test1 as well as IP 172.11.1.12, virtual network name is
SQL-V03\test1.

Regards!
-Chen

Rodney R. Fournier [MVP]

Oct 11, 2006, 11:47:23 AM10/11/06
You can indeed add extra IPs. We do it to add a backup network into the mix,
works great.

Now for the extra network name, you can add a name but I honestly don't know
how SQL will answer on it. SQL is configured for only one.

Cheers,

Rodney R. Fournier

MVP - Windows Server - Clustering
http://www.nw-america.com - Clustering Website
http://msmvps.com/clustering - Blog
http://www.clusterhelp.com - Cluster Training
ClusterHelp.com is a Microsoft Certified Gold Partner

"Chen" <Ch...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Chen

Oct 11, 2006, 1:29:02 PM10/11/06
Thanks for quick response. Can you indicate some article I can follow to add
second IP Address in one instance?

Rodney R. Fournier [MVP]

Oct 11, 2006, 1:56:58 PM10/11/06
Right-click add resource. IP Address. Dependencies none. Then make the
network name for SQL dependent on it, if it's mission critical to also have
this second IP online.

Cheers,

Rodney R. Fournier

MVP - Windows Server - Clustering
http://www.nw-america.com - Clustering Website
http://msmvps.com/clustering - Blog
http://www.clusterhelp.com - Cluster Training
ClusterHelp.com is a Microsoft Certified Gold Partner

"Chen" <Ch...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Geoff N. Hiten

Oct 11, 2006, 3:49:09 PM10/11/06
It is much easier to set a network name at the DNS level rather than the
machine lever. Use a SRV record type in DNS to map a network name to an
IPaddress/port number combination.

--
Geoff N. Hiten
Senior Database Administrator