MSDN says eVC4 SP4 can target Windows CE 5 but how?

Norman Diamond

Feb 27, 2006, 9:49:23 PM2/27/06
MSDN says eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 SP4 CAN be used in developing for Windows
CE version 5.0. Option b:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/usewinemb/ce/appdev/default.aspx
> Windows CE 5.0
> For the Windows CE 5.0 version of the operating system, developers have
> three application development options:
> a.. Visual Studio .NET 2003 with the Windows CE Utilities for Visual
> Studio .NET 2003 Add-on Pack
> 1.. .NET Compact Framework 1.0 (included in Windows CE 5.0)
> 2.. .NET Compact Framework 1.0 SP3 Developer Redistributable
> 3.. .NET Compact Framework 1.0 Service Pack 1 (ROM install only with
> the Windows CE .NET 4.2 Platform Builder Quarterly QFE Package:
> April - June 2003)
> b.. eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 SP4
> c.. Platform Builder for Windows CE 5.0

But the Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK for Smartphone refuses to install. It says
that the "Evaluate Visual Studio 2005" MSDN page will tell us which
development tools are required for the SDK to install, but I can't find it.

Now, I do have Visual Studio 2005, but the customer demands the use of eVC4
and MSDN says eVC4 can be used. What needs to be done to the SDK to
persuade the SDK to install?

riki

Feb 27, 2006, 10:27:35 PM2/27/06
Norman Diamond wrote:
> MSDN says eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 SP4 CAN be used in developing for
> Windows CE version 5.0. Option b:

> But the Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK for Smartphone refuses to install. It

> says that the "Evaluate Visual Studio 2005" MSDN page will tell us which
> development tools are required for the SDK to install, but I can't find it.
>
> Now, I do have Visual Studio 2005, but the customer demands the use of
> eVC4 and MSDN says eVC4 can be used. What needs to be done to the SDK
> to persuade the SDK to install?

CE5 can be targeted with eVC4, but WM5 can not be targeted by eVC4. To
use eVC you need to target Smartphone 2003 (assuming it's native c++).
The app will work on WM5, you just won't be able to staticly link to any
new features.

Riki

"It's 5:50 a.m., Do you know where your stack pointer is?"
By Night:
ThemeChanger for Smartphone : http://homepages.inspire.net.nz/~gambit/
AbstractStart for Smartphone :
http://homepages.inspire.net.nz/~gambit/AbstractStart/
Latest Betas have WM5 layout and speed dial support

Norman Diamond

Feb 27, 2006, 10:52:07 PM2/27/06
"riki" <see_my_home@page> wrote in message

> Norman Diamond wrote:
>> MSDN says eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 SP4 CAN be used in developing for
>> Windows CE version 5.0.
>
> CE5 can be targeted with eVC4, but WM5 can not be targeted by eVC4. To use
> eVC you need to target Smartphone 2003 (assuming it's native c++). The app
> will work on WM5, you just won't be able to staticly link to any new
> features.

OK, I can call LoadLibrary or LoadLibraryEx to call new API functions that
MSDN documents. What about some of the #include files? MSDN doesn't
usually document the numeric values of constants, or macro definitions or
sometimes structure member names. For that matter, some API functions can't
be called using names that MSDN documents because header files define macros
for them instead.

> "It's 5:50 a.m., Do you know where your stack pointer is?"

In the emulator I know it by ESP. In ARM I haven't bothered to learn the
names of registers ^_^

riki

Mar 1, 2006, 3:41:00 AM3/1/06
Norman Diamond wrote:
> OK, I can call LoadLibrary or LoadLibraryEx to call new API functions
> that MSDN documents. What about some of the #include files? MSDN
> doesn't usually document the numeric values of constants, or macro
> definitions or sometimes structure member names. For that matter, some
> API functions can't be called using names that MSDN documents because
> header files define macros for them instead.

I just copy the function definition over to a project local file. There
wasn't many functions added to WM5.

Why does the client require a WM5 app written in eVC - this is a very
odd requirement.

Riki

*EULA: By reading or responding to this message you agree that all my
stated opinions are correct.* "EULA" -- patent pending.

Norman Diamond

Mar 1, 2006, 11:13:30 PM3/1/06

> I just copy the function definition over to a project local file. There
> wasn't many functions added to WM5.
>
> Why does the client require a WM5 app written in eVC - this is a very odd
> requirement.

They want it to work reasonably well with the added screen resolutions.