User Name Change - Sync AD and SharePoint

PeterSQ

Dec 31, 2007, 12:36:02 PM12/31/07
When an active directory account is changed, SharePoint (in this case WSS3.0)
seems to hold on to the old account details (e.g. name, email). Is there
some way of forcing a resync with Active Directory?

I have read about a tool for earlier versions called SPUSERUTIL but this is
not available now (or for WSS3).

Thanks
Peter

Wei Lu [MSFT]

Jan 1, 2008, 10:12:14 PM1/1/08
Hello Peter,

You need to reimport the ad account information.

Administering import connections and user profiles
http://technet2.microsoft.com/Office/en-us/library/d9ed798e-c720-424e-9703-0
69981d591d51033.mspx?mfr=true

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Wei Lu
Microsoft Online Community Support

PeterSQ

Jan 2, 2008, 4:20:02 AM1/2/08
Wei - thank you for your post. I found the article you referred to
interesting and I think it points to why the problem can occur. I did not
find anything specifically useful in a WSS3.0 context. I looked for similar
functionality in the Admin site but could not find any. Can you give me a
pointer on how to "reimport the AD account information"?

Thanks
Peter

kimva...@gmail.com

Jan 2, 2008, 9:34:08 PM1/2/08

I'm having the same issue. I need to import updated AD account info
into WSS 3.0 on a scheduled basis since this does not seem to happen
dynamically. How do we do this?

Thanks

Wei Lu [MSFT]

Jan 3, 2008, 2:19:52 AM1/3/08
Hello Peter,

In the SSP admin site, you will find how to import the account and user
profile.

evan...@gmail.com

Jan 3, 2008, 9:10:54 AM1/3/08

Hi Wei

Could you please be more specific? I'm looking in Central
Administration under both the Operations and Application Management
tabs for WSS 3.0 and don't see anything to use to reimport the account
and user profiles from AD.

Thanks

Mike Walsh

Jan 3, 2008, 1:20:57 PM1/3/08
Not surprising. SSP is only in MOSS 2007 (not in WSS 3.0)

I'm afraid you've been given incorrect information.

Mike Walsh
WSS FAQ http://www.wssfaq.com
no questions by e-mail please

evan...@gmail.com

Jan 3, 2008, 1:59:33 PM1/3/08
On Jan 3, 1:20 pm, Mike Walsh <englantilai...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Not surprising. SSP is only in MOSS 2007 (not in WSS 3.0)
>
> I'm afraid you've been given incorrect information.
>
> Mike Walsh
> WSS FAQhttp://www.wssfaq.com

> no questions by e-mail please
>

> evanbu...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Jan 3, 2:19 am, we...@online.microsoft.com (Wei Lu [MSFT]) wrote:
> >> Hello Peter,
>
> >> In the SSP admin site, you will find how to import the account and user
> >> profile.
>
> >> Sincerely,
>
> >> Wei Lu
> >> Microsoft Online Community Support
>
> >> ==================================================
>
> >> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
> >> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
>
> >> ==================================================
> >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>
> > Hi Wei
>
> > Could you please be more specific?  I'm looking in Central
> > Administration under both the Operations and Application Management
> > tabs for WSS 3.0 and don't see anything to use to reimport the account
> > and user profiles from AD.
>
> > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Ok, thanks but do you know what the correct solution is?

Mike Walsh

Jan 3, 2008, 2:18:19 PM1/3/08
Sorry, no. If I had you'd have got that in that last message.

I just wanted to save you spending even more time looking in WSS 3.0 for
SSP.

Mike Walsh

Wei Lu [MSFT]

Jan 4, 2008, 1:31:54 AM1/4/08
Hello Peter,

The only way I know is delete the user and then re add it.

You may need to delete the user in the database.

Mike Walsh

Jan 4, 2008, 3:31:51 AM1/4/08
Could you *please* add a warning to such messages, that says that
Microsoft do not recommend making direct changes to the database and
that doing so usually means that Microsoft support is no longer
available for a SharePoint system on which such changes have been made.

Frankly I'm very surprised that anyone representing Microsoft is
suggesting direct changes to the SharePoint database.

Mike Walsh
WSS FAQ http://www.wssfaq.com

no questions by e-mail please

Wei Lu [MSFT]

Jan 6, 2008, 10:11:23 PM1/6/08
Hello Mike,

Thanks for your reminder. I will remember next time.

SharePoint

Jan 23, 2008, 12:42:04 PM1/23/08
Hi guys, great conversation, but do we have any resolutions here?
From what I see the suggestion to delete from the db (although not saying how)
is not supported. Therefore, what exactly are we to do here, live with it?
If MVPs can answer this type of question, where do the rest of us stand?

PS, I have the same problem...

Hong@discussions.microsoft.com Qui Hong

Jan 29, 2008, 1:22:11 PM1/29/08
I was researching this same issue...

The answer is to use the following command:

stsadm.exe -o migrateuser
-oldlogin <DOMAIN\name>
-newlogin <DOMAIN\name>
[-ignoresidhistory]

Not to sure about the [-ignoresidhistory] but for what I understand you are
suppose to use it when you are renaming an account.

Let me know if it works for you.

Qui

Qui Hong

Jan 29, 2008, 1:35:02 PM1/29/08
One more thing to note...

The below command only updates user account name (samAccountName). I don't
think it will update the Display Name or Email address.

In SP 2003, we wrote a custom application (scheduled nightly to run) using
the object model (before we found SPUserUtil) to update the Display Name and
Email address.

Haven't found a easy way to update the Display Name in WSS 3.0 or MOSS yet,
but I guess you can always use the object model.

BizWorld

Jan 29, 2008, 3:24:02 PM1/29/08
If you have SSP (it comes with MOSS 2007 Server) then you can setup
User Profile Import in Central admin so that any user updates can be
sync with sharepoint profile store. However in case you are changing
the user id on active directory then you need to use stsadm.exe -o
migrateuser is the command used to move all sharepoint listitems
created by or modified by values under new user id. for just the name
change or email change, they will come through using profile import.

BizWorld

Qui Hong

Jan 29, 2008, 7:32:01 PM1/29/08
BizWorld,

Can you clarify your post for me? I just want to make sure I understand it
correctly.

I have User Profile Import configured on my MOSS 2007 Server. Of course the
User Profile is always in sync with AD.

Are you saying that Display Name and Email addresses for users in UserInfo
table (for a particular site collection) will update [automatically?] from
User Profile Db?

Is there anything special I have to configure to make this happen or is it
automatic?

Are we talking about the same thing?

I thought that by design the UserInfo is independent for each site
collection. This "feature" allows, for instance, a user to get alerts from a
particular site sent to his work email and a alert from another site sent to
his personal email. Of course no one uses this and it is more of a
administrative nightmare.

Thanks

Qui

Qui Hong

Jan 29, 2008, 7:40:27 PM1/29/08
BizWorld,

I found this:
http://blogs.technet.com/wbaer/archive/2007/01/27/wss-userinfo-versus-moss-profile-q-amp-a-basics.aspx

I guess you are right. Interesting...

I guess the WSS users are out of luck. Maybe someone can quickly write a
powershell script to do something similar.

drew.c...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2008, 5:15:06 PM2/11/08
stsadm.exe -o migrateuser
-oldlogin <DOMAIN\name>
-newlogin <DOMAIN\name>
[-ignoresidhistory]

C:\>stsadm.exe -o migrateuser -oldlogin <...> -newlogin <...> -
ignoresidhistory

Cannot complete this action.

Please try again.

What gives?

luismc...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2013, 5:22:30 AM1/29/13
Hi.
I had the same problem, take a look here:
http://www.go4sharepoint.com/Forum/changing-user-names-wss-3-0-5860.aspx

regards
Luís