Outgoing email problem again (local or external smpt server?)

Bullvan

Jul 26, 2007, 4:01:37 AM7/26/07
Hello there!

I'm just starting my first job and it happened I'm supposed to learn
Sharepoint ASAP ;) I've been exploring the company netowork and stuff
for two days and one thing is bothering me.

I'm unable to configure working outgoing e-mails (eg. I'd like
Sharepoint to alert me about document changes when such happen. Of
course I checked I want to get an alert ;). The problem seems to be in
SMTP settings.

I hope I'll describe the current network and settings clearly...

1. So, the company usues external e-mail servers (lets say
pop3.bizdomain.com and smtp.bizdomain.com) and all employees has
accounts like empl...@bizdomain.com. Sharepoint e-mail are there too
(eg. share...@bizdomain.com).

2. Our internal domain (inside company) is named lets say
bizdomain.local with most of the services (DNS, AD and currently
Sharepoint) running at server1.bizdomain.com (with Windows Enterprise
2003 Server)

Q1. What settings would You reccomend to make outgoing e-mails work?
In CA->Operations shall I set " Outbound SMTP server:" to this
external smtp.bizdomain.com? Or is it a bad approach?

Q2. then what settings (domain name for example - is it relevant?)
shall I apply in ISS SMTP window. I think I know what to fill in
COnnection an Relay settings - i should probably let this external
smpt (smtp.bizdomain.com) to connect/relay as well as of course local
computers)

Q3. Is idea of giving sharepoint lists emails like
list...@bizdomain.com good?

Till now the settings were like (the current admin isn't to willing to
fill me in "what/why and how things (don't) work" :/) :
- Outbound SMTP server is: server1.bizdomain.local (yes the smtp
service is running at server1, and the domain added)
- addresses od lists are set like li...@server1.bizdomain.local - but
we don't have a localmail server :|

I realize list e-mails is a thing for incomaing mail, but my main
dilemma is if to set smtp and email addresses to this local
server1.bizdomain.local or to real external smtp.bizdomain.com.

With such 'local" approach I got smtp/sharepoint logs like:
- 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts
- The Incoming E-Mail service has completed a batch.
or earlier:
- A critical error occurred while processing the incoming e-mail drop
folder . The error was: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: path.
- The Execute method of job definition
Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPIncomingEmailJobDefinition (ID
9b087e54-9182-4561-b7ae-b2b7cd06ad1c) threw an exception. More
information is included below. Value cannot be null. Parameter name:
path

The mails appear in Badmail folder only.

I've read a lot of topics and sites during nlast 2 nothing really days
but helped. I'm supposed to get a new own server (server2 ;)) to
proceed wit clean installs of WIN2003SERV and MOSS but still I'd love
to know more before I'll get a new server.

I'll be really grateful for any help. I think after so many pages/pdfs
read I'm just being confused and I dont trust myslef ;)

Honest greetings Guys!

Bullvan

Tom Chm

Jul 26, 2007, 9:31:19 AM7/26/07
For Q1: Outgoing Mail problems, check your VirusScan software for a blocked
port 25.

In our experience, we have found that the latest version of Network
Associates VirusScan now blocks Port 25 by default.
We unchecked "Prevent mass mailing worms from sending email on the Port
Blocking tab under Access Protection properties"
and our outgoing email worked again.

Sorry, can't help on your Q2 and Q3.

HTH
Tom

"Bullvan" <jacek....@gmail.com> wrote in message

Bullvan

Aug 2, 2007, 1:30:39 AM8/2/07
On 26 Lip, 10:01, Bullvan <jacek.bul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello there!
>
> I'm just starting my first job and it happened I'm supposed to learn
> Sharepoint ASAP ;) I've been exploring the company netowork and stuff
> for two days and one thing is bothering me.

Eh, now I know I've written quite an messy post - sorry for that
guys ;)

I was a bit tired and confused and wasn't thinking clearly. I'm a
newbie too I know :]

The real problem was - external SMTP server required authentication
and Sharepoint itself does not give opportunity to give user/pass
anywhere (just "Outbound SMTP server").

So the easiest idea worke fine for me ;) I set up a virtual SMTP
server on my server1.bizdomain.local and told sharepoint to make it an
"Outgoing SMTP server". In ISS->SMTP Settings->Delivery uner the
button Outbound Security in section Basic Authentication I filled in
data of my sharepoint mailbox from external server
(share...@bizdomain.com and password to this account)

So now when sharepoint is to send e-mails it uses local SMTP server to
rely messages to my external mail server and that server does the
rest ;)

Thanks for the reply, I hope my solution will be helpful to someone in
the future ;)

Keep rockin''

Bullvan

aldopraherda

Apr 30, 2008, 2:21:21 AM4/30/08
can you give me more detail steps how to do that. thanks

Mike Walsh

Apr 30, 2008, 3:26:30 AM4/30/08
Please quote the messages you are replying to (and don't change the
subject line so that we can see roughly what subject you want more
detail on)

Mike Walsh
WSS FAQ http://www.wssfaq.com / wss.collutions.com
I regret that private e-mail questions will not be answered