wss 3.0 Search is Killing Me

Mike

Apr 30, 2008, 10:15:02 AM4/30/08
I'v been Searching three weeks for answers and I've worked through every
solution I can Google, yet I still I can't get sharepoint Search to function.
I got it to work for a few hours once. but that's it. The only error
message I get from the sharepoint server's log is the Gatherer Event 2436
Warning shown below.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3 Search
Event Category: Gatherer
Event ID: 2436
Computer: GSPSERVER
<sts3://mikeangelo.com/contentdbid={71521041-4199-4488-9019-a078f6e03c4e}>
cannot be crawled.
Context: Application 'Search index file on the search server', Catalog
'Search'
Details: The object was not found. (0x80041201)

That 's it, a contentdbid can't be crawled and an object can't be found.
How does one decypher such a warning? It makes no sense to me.
Please, Can anyone offer some guidance? All I can think of doing is
reformat, reinstall, and restore (again for the 3rd time).

--
Information Technology Consultant

Mike

Apr 30, 2008, 10:39:01 AM4/30/08
After further tinkering; i'm convinced the problem is with AAM.
I've read Troy Starr's Blog on AAM but just don't get it.
I don't have a proxy service and every article I read on AAM seems to be
wrtten for big systems that use a Proxy Server.
--
Information Technology Consultant

eastcoasttech

May 1, 2008, 11:42:01 AM5/1/08
Hello, I'm encountering the same thing on my installation. I upgraded my
2.0 installation and ever since my search no longer works. Search returns no
results or errors.

I'm running on server 2003 SP2 (for both servers) IIS & Search server is on
one box and SQL 2000 SP4 on a second database server.

no proxy of any type.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

i also get the occasional Event ID 2436
"Mike" <ange...@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message

eastcoasttech

May 1, 2008, 2:52:52 PM5/1/08
ok i've screwed around for about a week on this and finally have a
fix...(not really what i want to do but it works)
thanks to this
http://davidschrag.com/schlog/168/fixing-event-2424-after-installing-wss-30

I used the admin account for both and i was instanly in business!

"eastcoasttech" <to...@removethis.centerlinehomes.com> wrote in message

eastcoasttech

Mike

May 1, 2008, 11:03:00 PM5/1/08
On May 1, 2:55 pm, "eastcoasttech"

<t...@removethis.centerlinehomes.com> wrote:
> ok i've screwed around for about a week on this and finally have a
> fix...(not really what i want to do but it works)
> thanks to thishttp://davidschrag.com/schlog/168/fixing-event-2424-after-installing-...

> I used the admin account for both and i was instanly in business!
>
> "Mike" <angel...@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message

> > I'v been Searching three weeks for answers and I've worked through every
> > solution I can Google, yet I still I can't get sharepoint Search to
> > function.
> > I got it to work for a few hours once. but that's it.  The only error
> > message I get from the sharepoint server's log is the Gatherer Event 2436
> > Warning shown below.
>
> > Event Type: Warning
> > Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3 Search
> > Event Category: Gatherer
> > Event ID: 2436
> > Computer: GSPSERVER
> > <sts3://mikeangelo.com/contentdbid={71521041-4199-4488-9019-a078f6e03c4e}>
> > cannot be crawled.
> > Context: Application 'Search index file on the search server', Catalog
> > 'Search'
> > Details: The object was not found.   (0x80041201)
>
> > That 's it, a contentdbid can't be crawled and an object can't be found.
> > How does one decypher such a warning?  It makes no sense to me.
> > Please, Can anyone offer some guidance?  All I can think of doing is
> > reformat, reinstall, and restore (again for the 3rd time).
>
> > --
> > Information Technology Consultant- Hide quoted text -

My failed Searchs turned out to be missconfigured AAM (Alternate
Access Mappings). Yes!
I have come to think of AAM as a kin to DNS. I found a very good
document on AAM in a single server farm here >
http://guru-web.blogspot.com/2008/01/sharepoint-site-by-any-other-name.html
and after reading Ivan's blog, I fixe my Alternate Access mappings
and Search works again.