Convert multiple lines of text column to single line of text clumn

Zaur Bahramov

Jan 14, 2009, 2:47:00 AM1/14/09
Hello!

We have a column of type "Multiple lines of text" which can not be sorted.
All other columns are sortable, and are of various types (single line of
text, choice, date and time). I need to make this column sortable and the
only way I suppose is it convert it to "single line of text" column. When I
select to change the type, sharepoint gives the message that such conversion
may result in loss of data... What actually can be lost and how to check
which data can be potentially lost during such conversion? Also, is there
another way to enable sorting for "Multiple lines of text column"???

Thank you!

Zaur

Claudio Brotto [MVP]

Jan 14, 2009, 6:17:22 AM1/14/09
Zaur,

a Note field (i.e. a multiple lines of text field) can keep more than the
255 chars limit that applies to Text field (i.e. single line of text).

So please ensure the amount of data you are storing in your items :-)

HTH

Ciao

--
Claudio Brotto
MVP Windows SharePoint Services

"Zaur Bahramov" <zbakh...@msn.com> wrote in message

kezoesps

Jan 14, 2009, 9:57:28 AM1/14/09

Can you export the column values to a spreadsheet?

Create a new column next to the existing one of text field
Export the lot to Excel
Within excel write a function in the new column that copies the data
from the multi line column
Compare the results for loss of data
Import the lot back in

robertsandoval

May 2, 2010, 11:38:19 PM5/2/10
Is there a way in SP 2003 to convert a multiple-line of text into single-line of text?

Claudio Brotto [MVP] wrote:

Zaur,a Note field (i.e.
14-Jan-09

Zaur,

a Note field (i.e. a multiple lines of text field) can keep more than the
255 chars limit that applies to Text field (i.e. single line of text).

So please ensure the amount of data you are storing in your items :-)

HTH

Ciao

--
Claudio Brotto
MVP Windows SharePoint Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Claudio.Brotto
Read my blog @ http://blogs.devleap.com/devlizard

"Zaur Bahramov" <zbakh...@msn.com> wrote in message

On Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:47 AM
Zaur Bahramov wrote:

Convert multiple lines of text column to single line of text clumn
Hello!

We have a column of type "Multiple lines of text" which can not be sorted.
All other columns are sortable, and are of various types (single line of
text, choice, date and time). I need to make this column sortable and the
only way I suppose is it convert it to "single line of text" column. When I
select to change the type, sharepoint gives the message that such conversion
may result in loss of data... What actually can be lost and how to check
which data can be potentially lost during such conversion? Also, is there
another way to enable sorting for "Multiple lines of text column"???

Thank you!

Zaur

On Wednesday, January 14, 2009 6:17 AM
Claudio Brotto [MVP] wrote:

Zaur,a Note field (i.e.
Zaur,

a Note field (i.e. a multiple lines of text field) can keep more than the
255 chars limit that applies to Text field (i.e. single line of text).

So please ensure the amount of data you are storing in your items :-)

HTH

Ciao

--
Claudio Brotto
MVP Windows SharePoint Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Claudio.Brotto
Read my blog @ http://blogs.devleap.com/devlizard

"Zaur Bahramov" <zbakh...@msn.com> wrote in message

On Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:48 AM
kezoesps wrote:

Re: Convert multiple lines of text column to single line of text clumn
On Jan 14, 7:47=A0am, "Zaur Bahramov" <zbakhra...@msn.com> wrote:
..
ion

Can you export the column values to a spreadsheet?

Create a new column next to the existing one of text field
Export the lot to Excel
Within excel write a function in the new column that copies the data
from the multi line column
Compare the results for loss of data
Import the lot back in

WPF GridView Sample To Insert, Update, and Delete Records
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/fc9a5bf6-f5bb-4443-a92a-c9a46fd3aeb2/wpf-gridview-sample-to-in.aspx

Dean Steeves

May 5, 2011, 2:17:18 PM5/5/11
I found a simple way to convert a multiple line of text column to a single line of text column.

1) Add a single line of text column to the list. Limit its text string to a little more than the text you need. I made mine 150 characters.
2) Change the list view to datasheet view.
3) Higlight all entries in the multiple line of text column and copy and paste to your new a single line of text column. Be sure you copy into the first row to ensure your new entries line up with the old entries.
4) Review the new column against the old column to be sure your entires remain in the right order.
5) Once you are satisfied with the new column, delete the old column. Done

> On Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:47 AM Zaur Bahramov wrote:

>> On Wednesday, January 14, 2009 6:17 AM Claudio Brotto [MVP] wrote:

>> Zaur,
>>
>> a Note field (i.e. a multiple lines of text field) can keep more than the
>> 255 chars limit that applies to Text field (i.e. single line of text).
>>
>> So please ensure the amount of data you are storing in your items :-)
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Ciao
>>

>> --
>> Claudio Brotto
>> MVP Windows SharePoint Services
>> Microsoft Certified Trainer
>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Claudio.Brotto
>> Read my blog @ http://blogs.devleap.com/devlizard
>>

>> "Zaur Bahramov" <zbakh...@msn.com> wrote in message

>>> On Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:48 AM kezoesps wrote:

>>> On Jan 14, 7:47=A0am, "Zaur Bahramov" <zbakhra...@msn.com> wrote:
>>> .

>>> I
>>> ion
>>>
>>> Can you export the column values to a spreadsheet?
>>>
>>> Create a new column next to the existing one of text field
>>> Export the lot to Excel
>>> Within excel write a function in the new column that copies the data
>>> from the multi line column
>>> Compare the results for loss of data
>>> Import the lot back in

florencia...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2012, 7:14:08 AM10/24/12
edit the multi-line column and save it as plain text only. Go back in to edit it a second time, and you can change it to a single line of text.