Re: Title vs Name in Document Libraries

Engelbert

Apr 25, 2006, 12:46:52 AM4/25/06
Name is the file name.

Title is a (meaningful) name given to the document by the person who uploads
it.

(Title may be generated by the system if not specified by the uploader).

The key difference in v2 is that the Name field can have an associated drop
down (with Edit etc.) but Title can't. Also you can't in a View click on the
Title field to open the document.

Is that useful ?

Engelbert

"Judy" <Ju...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What is the difference between Title and Name in a document library?

Judy

Apr 25, 2006, 9:42:02 AM4/25/06
Yes, your answer is very helpful, but does generate a comment and another
question...

Yet... "Title" seems to be the more important of the two, it is required
(removable), you can not delete the field, nor can you change the field
choices (to: multiple lines of text ), yet has such limited functionality.
Will this change in V3?

If I do a save as to sharepoint let it accept the default file name and the
title when system generated is it pulling from the windows properties?

Engelbert

Apr 26, 2006, 12:33:04 AM4/26/06
If your looking for reasons you are probably looking in the wrong direction.

In version 1 (STS) there were both fields then called Title and FileName.
There was no extra functionality with FileName (there was no drop down) so
naturally most sites were created with a meangful Title field in the Views.
They'd planned for this so Title was compulsary and a standard field.

Moving to v2 my guess is they wanted their drop down to be to a field that
always exists and they picked filename but renamed it Name to make it less
computery. But they perhaps ran out of time, so Title was left just as it
was before.

I can't remember a change in v3 so there probably isn't one.

I purposely didn't get into what will be saved as Title if you don't have a
title as I'm fairly sure it varies a lot. My memory tells me that if you
save main Office files such as PowerPoint it will give them as Title the
heading from the first slide (Word: the title of the paper); for non major
Office files it will often just repeat the File Name.

A *single* Document Upload will of course have the entry field and insist on
a value for Title (if it is compulsary)

Hint: My early WSS sites used Title out of (STS) habit. The later ones use
Name because the functionality loss with Title (and the need to give a
Title) was annoying and users were anyway giving sensible file names.