Custom web service reference cannot be made without the ?wsdl parm

BobC

Nov 21, 2006, 11:31:24 AM11/21/06
http://my.sharepointv3site.com/_vti_bin/spfiles.asmx?wsdl works, and
returns the description of the service,
http://my.sharepointv3site.com/_vti_bin/spfiles.asmx displays a
sharepoint v3 error page
http://my.sharepointv3site.com/_layouts/error.aspx?ErrorText=Could%20not%20create%20type%20%27WSCheckOut%2ESPFiles%27%2E

NOTE: My Sharepoint site is using a host header on port 80. I will
try to remove this to see if it is causing the issue.

Any other thoughts are appreciated.

BobC

Nov 21, 2006, 11:46:52 AM11/21/06
Removing the IIS Host header settings made a difference... different
error... :

The document at the url http://localhost/_vti_bin/SPFiles.asmx was not
recognized as a known document type.
The error message from each known type may help you fix the problem:
- Report from 'DISCO Document' is 'Root element is missing.'.
- Report from 'WSDL Document' is 'There is an error in XML document (0,
0).'.
- Root element is missing.
- Report from 'XML Schema' is 'Root element is missing.'.

More to come..

On Nov 21, 11:31 am, "BobC" <bob_chau...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://my.sharepointv3site.com/_vti_bin/spfiles.asmx?wsdlworks, and

> returns the description of the service,http://my.sharepointv3site.com/_vti_bin/spfiles.asmxdisplays a

> sharepoint v3 error pagehttp://my.sharepointv3site.com/_layouts/error.aspx?ErrorText=Could%20...

BobC

Nov 21, 2006, 12:49:54 PM11/21/06
But, still no go unless I specifiy ?WSDL...

On Nov 21, 11:46 am, "BobC" <bob_chau...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Removing the IIS Host header settings made a difference... different
> error... :
>

> The document at the urlhttp://localhost/_vti_bin/SPFiles.asmxwas not

BobC

Nov 22, 2006, 3:55:51 PM11/22/06
There are related system events in the Application Log. Note the
"...Could not load file or assembly
'Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationPages," with "... The system cannot
find the file specified. "

I saw one post that said this was due to the session state being
enabled, but doesn't seem to make a difference as it is working on
another server with session state enabled.

Event code: 3006
Event message: A parser error has occurred.
Event time: 11/22/2006 3:52:38 PM
Event time (UTC): 11/22/2006 8:52:38 PM
Event ID: 8488a36f1e2842ecb50820cce0441de0
Event sequence: 5
Event occurrence: 1
Event detail code: 0

Application information:
Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/669577904/Root-2-128087023145505115
Trust level: WSS_Minimal
Application Virtual Path: /
Application Path:
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\My.MillerJohnson.com80\
Machine name: GR-SPPV-01

Process information:
Process ID: 3892
Process name: w3wp.exe
Account name: MJSC\spssvc

Exception information:
Exception type: HttpParseException
Exception message: Could not load file or assembly
'Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationPages, Version=12.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c' or one of its
dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

BobC

Nov 22, 2006, 3:58:39 PM11/22/06
Referencing a built-in service DOES work, for ex:
http://my.wsssite.com/_vti_bin/SpellCheck.asmx

S.S. Ahmed

Nov 23, 2006, 2:19:39 AM11/23/06
Hi Bob,

The URLs in your post show that you are using WSS 3. Things work a bit
differently in WSS 3. Where have you placed your assembly file? You are
getting this error because SharePoint is unable to find the assembly file.

Regards,

--
S.S. Ahmed
www.walisystems.com

"BobC" <bob_c...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

BobC

Nov 27, 2006, 9:08:02 AM11/27/06
I deploy the wsdl, disco, asmx and assembly are copied to the
"c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web server
extensions\12\isapi" dir, or a sub-dir to keep the original dir clean.

I have not copied the assembly to the GAC, but this was not necessary
in v2.

On Nov 23, 2:19 am, "S.S. Ahmed" <ss_ahm...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> The URLs in your post show that you are using WSS 3. Things work a bit
> differently in WSS 3. Where have you placed your assembly file? You are
> getting this error because SharePoint is unable to find the assembly file.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> S.S. Ahmedwww.walisystems.com
>

> "BobC" <bob_chau...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:1164126684.5...@j44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
> >http://my.sharepointv3site.com/_vti_bin/spfiles.asmx?wsdlworks, and

> > returns the description of the service,

> >http://my.sharepointv3site.com/_vti_bin/spfiles.asmxdisplays a
> > sharepoint v3 error page
> >http://my.sharepointv3site.com/_layouts/error.aspx?ErrorText=Could%20...

BobC

Nov 27, 2006, 9:13:59 AM11/27/06

S.S. Ahmed

Nov 28, 2006, 1:39:49 AM11/28/06
1. Copy yourservice.asmx, yourservicewsdl.aspx and yourservicedisco.aspx to
c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web server
extensions\12\isapi. You also need to modify the spsdisco.aspx file if you
want SharePoint to show your service in the list of available services.

2. Copy the DLL to the correct bin folder. For example, if you have site
configured on port 82 then your URL will be like http://localhost:82. Now,
you must copy the DLL file to the following location:

C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\82\bin

Note: bin folder is not available by default. You will have to create it
yourself.

3. Now, you must configure your security settings to avoid the permissions
error. There are three ways to do this:

a. You can set the trust level to medium in the web.config.
b. You can create your own trust config file and add it to the web.config
file
c. You can add the dll in GAC

The third option is the easiest one. Strong name your DLL and put it in GAC.

4. Re-start IIS before testing the service.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
--
S.S. Ahmed
www.walisystems.com

"BobC" <bob_c...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

S.S. Ahmed

Nov 28, 2006, 1:46:10 AM11/28/06
Yes, this post will be helpful to the users who are experienced in
developing web services and are struggling with the WSS3 services'
deployment but to new users, i dont think this post has much to offer.

Let me know if it still fails. I have some more tips for you.

Regards,