Single or Multiple Worksapces Config Question

Message has been deleted

Bill English [MVP]

Jul 14, 2002, 3:22:41 PM7/14/02
You can't setup a subworkgroup. In SPS, there is no such thing.

So, you can either put all documents in a single workspace and use
categories, profiles and the DL heirarchy to logically divide the
information or you can setup 7 different workspaces. I don't know which is
best for you without discussing it with you personally.

--
Bill English
www.networknowledge.com
"Dave" <da...@winterpeg.ca> wrote in message
> Hi all;
>
> Just wanted to see what other people are doing for setup of the sharepoint
> server.
> We have 7 departments in our office, and are looking to replace our
> intranet, and alreayd maintain a folder structure of these departments
with
> private and public folders respectively.
>
> Is it more efficent to setup 7 different workspaces, and then be able to
> move them to seperate servers if needed or would the best practice would
be
> to create a master "Intranet" workspace and then subworkspaces?
>
> Please let me know, replyto the group and email if possible:
>
> Thanks;
> Dave Conroy
> da...@winterpeg.ca

Gary A. Bushey (MVP)

Jul 14, 2002, 7:10:36 PM7/14/02
Not quite sure what you mean by "sub-workspaces". If you are thinking
about the sub-webs that Team Services provide, then you are out of luck, SPS
does not have anything like that.
So this leaves you with 2 choices. The first is to have 7 separate
workspaces. This is good if the departments are smart enough to handle all
of the admin themselves (like creating categories, folders, add/remove
users). It also provides the easiest way to hide documents between
departments.
The second choice is to have 1 workspace with security setup to mimic 7
areas. The major drawback here is that the categories have no security so
if one department has a category, all departments will see it. This may or
may not be that big of a deal for your situation. It does have the
advantage of just having the one place to manage, but if there are more than
one coordinators remember that they will see everything.
Hope this helps. I have been in situations where we have implemented
both scenarios...not at the same time =)

--
Gary A. Bushey
bus...@mindspring.com

Michael Donahue

Jul 15, 2002, 11:47:44 AM7/15/02
Hi Dave:

Our decision came down to the fact that we really couldnt justify multiple
workspaces. I think that the baseline thought should be "why do we need
multiples" and then try to justify the extra work involved in
creating/maintaining them. My company really only uses SPS for the document
storage - not dashboarding, workflow, etc. And the categories we do use and
indexes we want to search through are cross-departmental. So just my .02
cents, but you may want to work from a standpoint of having one workspace,
and determine what it is you really need but can only get if you go
multiple.

Mike

John Callaway

Jul 15, 2002, 12:47:00 PM7/15/02
Since everyone is weighing in here I will as well.

One consideration is that SharePoint has no functionality
to move an individual workspace later so if you think you
may need multiple servers to handle multiple workspaces I
would budget and make that investment early in the
additional hardware and license.

It is very easy to create departmental dashboards and to
assign permissionsso that specific departments can work
with their own dashboards but still maintatin a single
workspace.

One more alternative would be to create SharePoint Team
service sites which are a lot easier to administer (though
less flexible) for each department and then use Portal
Server to index and bring together all the information.

My 1 cent (not even worth 2 cents) ;)