Alerts Not Working (No server response). Need help!

Mike

Mar 6, 2006, 10:23:22 PM3/6/06
I just set up SharePoint Portal Server 2003 with both service pack 2s
(SPS and WSS) on a new web server. The backend for this SPS is on a
new SQL Server 2005 box. I restored our portal on this new web box.
The 3 databases that make up the portal are on the new sql 2005 box.
I'm testing everything out before we cut over to these two new boxes
from our current SPS environment. Everything works well with testing,
except one thing. For some reason the alerts are not working. I can
create alerts, but I don't get the email that the alert was created nor
the notification if I add, update, or delete content. I made sure the
email settings on the new SPS box match the ones on the old one (the
alerts are working here with no problem). The SMTP server is on our
Exchange server and is working. I checked the event log on the new SPS
box and see the following error in regards to the SharePoint Portal
Alert Service (replaced the server and domain names of course):

EventID 151

SMTP Server: OurExchangeServer.OurDomain.local(No server response) is
not functioning correctly.
<More information is available in the diagnostic logs on the Configure
Diagnostic Settings page in SharePoint Portal Server Central
Administration.>

I can not figure this out. Has anyone ever come across this? I'm
stumped. Please help!

Thanks, Mike

Kristian Kalsing

Mar 7, 2006, 12:30:52 AM3/7/06
Mike,

Just a few ideas:

- Can you ping the Exchange box from your SharePoint box?

- Does the Exchange server allow the the SharePoint server to relay emails
thorugh it? You might have to add the SharePoint server to the list in
Exchange server.

- Is there any antivirus software installed on the SharePoint box that may
block the SMTP port? I've has this issue before becuase a normal client
version of the antivirus software was installed on the SharePoint server
rather than a portal edition of the antivirus software.

Kristian

--
Kristian Kalsing
http://kalsing.blogspot.com

"Mike" <mike_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Mike

Mar 7, 2006, 8:10:53 AM3/7/06
Kristian, thanks for the feedback! With your help I think we got
fixed. We'll test it out some more, but it seems like the a port on
the new SPS box was blocked by our antivirus software.

Thanks again, Mike

Olalekan

May 15, 2006, 12:49:02 PM5/15/06
Had the same Issue was resolved when I dissabled the AV on the sharepoint
server. Nice posting