deploying webpart on two front end web server

Rafia Tapia

Jan 30, 2008, 10:00:46 PM1/30/08
Hi all
I have developed couple of web part using VS extension for sharepoint. I
have the setup.bat file as well as the solution file that VS creates. I
copied the setup.bat, mywebpart.wsp and all the file in the solution
directory to one of the front end web server but when I run setup.bat it
gives me an error on activating the features that comprises my web part. The
error I am getting is that no features is installed in the farm and
therefore cannot be activated. Running setup.bat file is putting my .dll in
gac and also copying all the files related to my features in the appropriate
directories but when I look at the site feature via the web, I don't see any
feature listed in the gallery.

Can anyone please tell me what I am going wrong. What is the best way to
deploy web part in an environmental that consists of multiple front end web
servers.

Thanks

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Jan 31, 2008, 5:21:31 AM1/31/08
Hi Rafia,

It seems you met some problem when try deploying your well developed
webpart controls.

As you mentioned the features, are you deploying them as features mentioned
in the following article?

#Deploying web parts as a feature
http://sharepointnutsandbolts.blogspot.com/2007/05/deploying-web-parts-as-fe
ature.html

For general test, I suggest you try a simplified webpart and also deploy it
manually to see whether it works:

#Writing Custom Webparts for Sharepoint 2007
http://blah.winsmarts.com/2006/05/14/writing-custom-webparts-for-sharepoint-
2007.aspx

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

--------------------
From: "Rafia Tapia" <delt...@nospam.nospam>
Subject: deploying webpart on two front end web server
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 22:00:46 -0500

Rafia Tapia

Jan 31, 2008, 11:02:54 AM1/31/08
I have used the visual studio extension so it is visual studio that is
creating all the different xml files and .webpart file. and yes I can deploy
it manually and it works fine but when I try to install using the solution
(.wsp) that visual studio has produce, I am running into problems.

"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <stc...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

galvi...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2008, 9:00:03 PM1/31/08

I'm still doing my deployments by hand (crafting XML by hand and so
forth) so I don't know what VSS is doing for you in that batch file.

It seems that there should be some intermediate output, probalby some
kind of failure message when it tries to install the feature.

Can you share any more detail from that process? Is there any kind of
log file you can post?

--Paul Galvin, Conchango
RSS @ http://feeds.feedburner.com/PaulGalvinsSharepointSpace
Web site @ http://paulgalvin.spaces.live.com

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Feb 1, 2008, 2:11:15 AM2/1/08
Thanks for your reply Rafia,

So manually install webpart works, there might be something got incorrect
in the feature based deployment. Have you tried a simplified scenario that
create a single standard webpart and deploy it into the SPS server? I'm
wondering whether this is a specific case or a common problem that might be
related to the SPS server.

From: "Rafia Tapia" <delt...@nospam.nospam>

Subject: Re: deploying webpart on two front end web server
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:02:54 -0500

Rafia Tapia

Feb 4, 2008, 12:41:16 PM2/4/08
The problem is deploying in a farm environment consisting of multiple front
end web server. I was able to deploy the solution to a box that was stand
alone.

I also want to know what is the best practise for deploying web parts in a
farm environment. The way I tried to do it through Visual studio was that
each of the webpart is a feature and then created a solution (.wsp) that
would install and activate the features. One of things I am not sure how it
would work in farm deployment is that when I add and delpoy the solution
using stsadm utility, would it put my webpart dll on all the front end web
server's GAC and would it also change the web.config file on all the front
end servers.

"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <stc...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Rafia Tapia

Feb 4, 2008, 12:45:13 PM2/4/08
visual studio creates the solution file (.wsp) for you as well as all the
xml like manifest.xml, feature.xml and any other xml files reference in your
feature. I used to do things manually but the visual studio extensions have
greatly simplified the process. The only problem I am facing is deploying it
in a farm environment with multiple front end server. For stand alone server
it is as simple as executing a setup.bat file.

<galvi...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Feb 5, 2008, 2:48:09 AM2/5/08
Hi Rafia,

As for front-end multiple virtual server scenario, when you deploy webpart
packages through stsadm.exe ,I think you'll need to do the deploy for each
of those virtual servers(no matter whether they've shared the same
persistence database or not).

From: "Rafia Tapia" <delt...@nospam.nospam>

Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 12:41:16 -0500

Steven Cheng[MSFT]