Sharepoint User Authentication from Web Page

Robert Barnes

May 27, 2009, 8:13:02 AM5/27/09
I have a web site developed with VS2008 and SQL Server. Members of the public
can register, and get access to various members-only pages depending on their
roles. All this uses ASP.Net Membership and Roles objects.

I want to add a facility so that users can create web pages, and I can
provide blogs, wikis, etc. I have Sharepoint (the free version) as part of
my SBS2003 license, and this would be ideal. However, every Sharepoint
implementation that I've seen uses Active Directory and requires users to be
defined to the Windows sysem.

Is it possible to use Sharepoint with web-page authentication, without
setting up sysem users known to AD? I'd like users to be able to register
/log on to my web site as at present, and then offer various Sharepoint
features to them depending on this log on.
--
Robert

DaveMo

May 28, 2009, 10:09:31 PM5/28/09
On May 27, 5:13 am, Robert Barnes

Robert,

In SP 3.0 this is fairly easy since 3.0 builds on .NET Membership and
Roles just like your custom application. For more information on how
to configure SP to use SQL users see
http://blogs.msdn.com/sharepoint/archive/2006/08/16/configuring-multiple-authentication-providers-for-sharepoint-2007.aspx

Unfortunately, SP 2.0 (which comes with SBS 2003) does not have this
same level of integration with .NET Membership/Roles so I don't
believe it's possible to do what you want on that platform.

HTH,
Dave

Robert Barnes

May 28, 2009, 11:36:01 PM5/28/09
Thanks Dave. I'll follow that up - I think that we have upgraded Sharepoint
on the server to SP3, in which case your article will be spot on. It
shouldn't be too difficult to find out whether we are using SP3.

The article looks like exactly the right starting point, so I'll print it
out and read it carefully.

Thank you.

BTW (note to forum admins): it was good to get an email telling me that
there was an answer to my query, but neither of the links worked.

--
Robert