BDC Actions

gary b

Jul 15, 2008, 1:25:55 PM7/15/08
Would someone lend a hand?

I have been struggling with BDC Actions for several days. No matter
what I do, I cannot get the Actions to be available in my web page. I
have searched my fanny off and tried *many* different variations of
the XML used in the ADF.

The ADF imports fine... no errors or warnings. But the Actions are not
there! Only 'No Actions' appears where the menu should be.

As I understand 'Actions', their purpose is to provide a link. It
appears the link uses a querystring as part of the URL. The value(s)
in the querystring are derived from the entity, such as a Customer ID.

Just as in golf, I believe I have mastered the intellectual aspects of
BDC Actions... but I can't create a working example!!!!

Could -- would -- someone lead me by the hand and help me get
operational Actions?? I did not include any XML because I do not know
precisely what XML you would need to see. What information would you
need from me to determine where I am going astray??

Thanks in advance for your help!

gary b

gary b

Jul 15, 2008, 1:49:42 PM7/15/08
On Jul 15, 1:25 pm, gary b <sf...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> No matter what I do, I cannot get the Actions to be available in my web page.

Let me add that I do not have *any* Actions for *any* entity. I do not
have View Profile or any of the actions that are contained in my ADF.

gary b

gary b

Jul 16, 2008, 8:35:12 AM7/16/08
I GOT IT !!

I call it ' being persistent '... my wife calls it ' being stubborn! '

I now have Action Menu items. Variation # 1,438,045 hit the jackpot!

Thanks for the bandwidth.

gary b

gary b

Jul 16, 2008, 3:53:07 PM7/16/08
On Jul 16, 8:35 am, gary b <sf...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I GOT IT !!

Well, at least part of it! I now have Action Menu items. BUT...

Anyone know why the querystring 'token' in a custom BDC action is not
being replaced? By default, the URL for a custom action is:
http://<address>?Fieldname={0}

In my case the token {0} is NOT being replaced. When clicked, the
link opens a new page:
http://<address>?Fieldname='{0}' ...which yields error

http://<address>?Fieldname='tiger' is a valid URL... but not
http://<address>?Fieldname='{0}'

Why isn't {0} being replaced?

<continuing to scratch head...>

gary b

Jul 17, 2008, 11:02:23 AM7/17/08
Finished!

A BIG... no, make that HUGE... tip-of-the-hat to Sahil Malik and his
blog at

http://blah.winsmarts.com/2007-4-SharePoint_2007__BDC_-_The_Business_Data_Catalog.aspx

After reading the blog for the tenth time, it finally sunk in!

Thanks, Sahil