what does the "Microsoft data access" "remote data services" add-in do?

jjoensuu

Oct 17, 2007, 5:40:05 AM10/17/07
Hi folks

when I browse to a particular website using IE I get this message:

"This web site wants to run the following add-on: 'Microsoft Data
Access - Remote Data Services Dat...' from 'Microsoft Corporation'. If
you trust the web site and the add-on and want to allow it to run,
click here..."

The problem is that I would like to know what is this add-in used for.
"Data Access - Remote Data Services" does not sound very trustable to
me...

It would be nice the "More information" option in the Internet
Explorer security bar actually told me about the particular add-in and
NOT some general information.

If anyone knows what this add-on can be used for or can point me to a
web resource explaining this, I would like to hear.

Thanks!

JJ

Retired

Oct 17, 2007, 8:29:27 AM10/17/07

Check this:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/hostsnews/archive/2007/09/13/can-you-spot-the-fake.aspx
[...]
"As I mentioned before any time you see that warning "Remote Data
Services Data Control" watch out! ... this is NOT from Microsoft! This
is the generic warning IE7 throws up when an exploit is trying to enter
the system."
[...]
--
Sired, Squired, Hired, RETIRED.

jjoensuu

Oct 17, 2007, 6:26:52 PM10/17/07

> Check this:http://msmvps.com/blogs/hostsnews/archive/2007/09/13/can-you-spot-the...

> [...]
> "As I mentioned before any time you see that warning "Remote Data
> Services Data Control" watch out! ... this is NOT from Microsoft! This
> is the generic warning IE7 throws up when an exploit is trying to enter
> the system."
> [...]
> --
> Sired, Squired, Hired, RETIRED.

Thank you for the information. You say this is a "generic warning IE7

throws up when an exploit is trying to enter the system."

The message in the warning sounds as if it was at least related to a
Microsoft component. Do you know why is it referring to the "Remote
Data Services Data Control" in a generic warning?

cheers

Jarmo

Retired

Oct 17, 2007, 10:50:56 PM10/17/07
jjoensuu wrote:
> Thank you for the information. You say this is a "generic warning IE7
> throws up when an exploit is trying to enter the system."
>
> The message in the warning sounds as if it was at least related to a
> Microsoft component. Do you know why is it referring to the "Remote
> Data Services Data Control" in a generic warning?
>
> cheers
>
> Jarmo

The message is completely fake, that's all we need to know.

Roger Abell [MVP]

Oct 18, 2007, 3:17:11 AM10/18/07
Microsoft does have a component called MDAC (data access)
that allows for access to databases, etc.. The early version of
ADO (active data objects) evolved a RDS (remote data services)
feature. RDS was soon exploited in its early version. An RDS
usage, for an example, allows a web page to get a refresh of the
data it is using for display but without having to refresh the entire
web page with a full server roundtrip.

That said, anyone can make up names, and these are often
choosen to sound like something real, something one might
find info about via a web search, sufficient to make it seem
like it is OK.

Roger

"jjoensuu" <j_jo...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

jjoensuu

Oct 18, 2007, 4:51:13 AM10/18/07
On Oct 18, 5:17 pm, "Roger Abell [MVP]" <mvpNoS...@asu.edu> wrote:
> An RDS usage, for an example, allows a web page to get a refresh
> of the data it is using for display but without having to refresh the
> entire web page with a full server roundtrip.
>
> Roger

ok thank you for the clarification, Roger.

I actually wanted to ask one more question. Since it is possible to
use RDS on a web site, do you know of anyone using it nowadays?

Roger Abell [MVP]

Oct 18, 2007, 9:17:32 PM10/18/07
I do not know about RDS specifically, but many sites do use
similar techniques. Even a site hosted on IIS using MS software
may be doing this but without use of RDS (which, again, is any
old technology). Consider for example an eBay item page where
there is sometimes a Refresh button that only updates the time left,
current bid, number of bids.