MBSA 1.2.1 launched today

Mike Chan [MSFT]

Aug 16, 2004, 3:46:37 PM8/16/04
MBSA 1.2.1 update for Windows XP SP2 compatibility available today!
Users of Windows XP Service Pack 2 will need to update MBSA to version 1.2.1 for compatibility with SP2 security improvements. Users who are running MBSA 1.2 will automatically be notified to upgrade when they run MBSA from the Start menu with an Internet connection. The latest MBSA information can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/mbsa. To ensure that MBSA runs smoothly with Windows XP SP2, upgrade to MBSA 1.2.1 today!

What’s new with MBSA 1.2.1?
As part of our commitment to improving the security updating experience for our customers, Microsoft is pleased to announce the availability of MBSA 1.2.1 - a compatibility release of the MBSA product which provides support for Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Improvements include :
    Support for Windows XP Service Pack 2 security enhancements
    Clear guidance for locating updates and necessary actions
    Prioritize results more easily by showing summary counts for each score
MBSA Resources
    Home Page http://www.microsoft.com/mbsa
    FAQ http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/Tools/mbsaqa.asp
    Technical white paper http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/tools/mbsawp.asp
    Knowledge Base Article Q320454
Note to users of SMS Software Update Scanning Tools
    SMS users who currently use MBSA 1.2 as a part of their Systems Management Server 2003 Software Update Scanning Tools will not need to upgrade to MBSA 1.2.1 at this time due to the nature of the integration.

--
Mike Chan
Technical Product Manager (MBSA)

Bill Drake

Aug 16, 2004, 5:19:57 PM8/16/04
Hi, Mike (or Doug).

I've checked the FAQ and the docs mentioned on the update page.
However, I cannot find any info clarifying the exact procedure for
performing an MBSA update.

Can this update be installed over top of the existing 1.2 installation,
or should the 1.2 installation be removed before installing 1.2.1?

(And no, I *don't* want to go to all the trouble of removing the old
 version if not required -- or perform the experiment of an overwrite
 just to find out this doesn't work properly.  I want to be informed
 of the appropriate procedures in advance -- not stumble around
 in the dark.)

Consequent to the above,  IMO the info for an MBSA-upgrade
procedure *should* be incorporated into the FAQ.  (And yes,
the procedure should be generic and therefore appropriate for
any and all MBSA installations.)

This question comes up repeatedly every time MBSA is updated.
A FAQ item on the process is certainly warranted...

Bill

Doug Neal [MSFT]

Aug 16, 2004, 5:27:20 PM8/16/04
During the installation, MBSA 1.2.1 will automatically upgrade MBSA 1.2 - so you should have no problems updating directly.  You do NOT need to uninstall the previous MBSA 1.2 version.

I make note of this for other customer since, you're right - this isn't clear.  I hope that helps...

If newsgroup discussion with experts and MVPs is unable to solve a problem
to your satisfaction, feel free to contact PSS for the Microsoft Baseline
Security Analyzer (MBSA) at the following link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;Prodoffer20a

This e-mail address does not receive e-mail, but is used for newsgroup
postings only.

Mike Chan [MSFT]

Aug 16, 2004, 6:50:32 PM8/16/04
I will make a note of it and update the next release of our FAQ.

Thanks,
Mike

--
Mike Chan
Technical Product Manager (MBSA)
Security Business Unit
Microsoft Corporation

Kevin Weilbacher [SBS-MVP]

Aug 16, 2004, 7:46:49 PM8/16/04
just installed 1.2.1 over 1.2 - no problems.

--
Kevin Weilbacher [SBS-MVP]
"The days pass by so quickly now, the nights are seldom long"

Mike Chan [MSFT]

Aug 16, 2004, 8:40:49 PM8/16/04
MBSA Resources update

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsaqa.mspx

Technical white paper

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsawp.mspx

are the actual links.

The FAQ and whitepaper links below are no longer working.

Thanks.

--
Mike Chan
Technical Product Manager (MBSA)
Security Business Unit
Microsoft Corporation

Bill Drake

Aug 16, 2004, 11:57:58 PM8/16/04
Hi, Doug.  Appreciate the heads-up.  Update will occur
immediately after reply-message is sent... <g>

Bill

"Doug Neal [MSFT]" <du...@online.microsoft.com> wrote...
During the installation, MBSA 1.2.1 will automatically upgrade MBSA 1.2 - so
you should have no problems updating directly.  You do NOT need to uninstall
the previous MBSA 1.2 version.

I make note of this for other customer since, you're right - this isn't clear.
I hope that helps...

If newsgroup discussion with experts and MVPs is unable to solve a problem
to your satisfaction, feel free to contact PSS for the Microsoft Baseline
Security Analyzer (MBSA) at the following link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;Prodoffer20a

This e-mail address does not receive e-mail, but is used for newsgroup
postings only.

"Bill Drake" <bdr...@telus.net> wrote...

Bill Drake

Michael W

Aug 17, 2004, 4:47:02 AM8/17/04
(sigh)
Already submitted a post, asking same question (installing) asked here.

The FAQ'a and White Paper (links) aren't working or correct? (you say below).

Stefan Kanthak

Aug 17, 2004, 9:46:02 AM8/17/04
"Mike Chan [MSFT]" <mc...@online.microsoft.com> wrote:

ARGH!

1. HTML
2. Cross posted to microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs,
microsoft.public.security.hfnetchk, microsoft.public.security.baseline_analyzer,
microsoft.public.security,
- without announcement
- without followup to ONE group only.
3. with invalid From: address

Ain't there a netiquette for you guys?

fup2 microsoft.public.security.baseline_analyzer

not amused
Stefan

Michael W

Aug 18, 2004, 1:31:02 AM8/18/04
I'll raise that ARGH! to a preceeding "GRRRR" (Mutant Enemy Productions), and
add a "Egad, Get Real"... I wonder how much amusement you require and how
much you paid for. Pointing out your unamusement is certainly as un-amusing
as the petty items you compained about. Geez, this is apparently a real
insider on the project; should welcome the attempt. [No need to point out, I
hope, that this is a PUBLIC forum, the point being anything goes; can cross
post to our hearts content, yadda]. I would think the spammers hitting these
discussion groups would more un-amusing than an honest heads up from a key
developer. But then maybe your #3 point is about sending spam into internal
MSFT...

Sorry, didn't mean to say all that... Why don't you educate us in
"netaquitte"? And let us judge how well you do... (Remember, your addressing
millions of people).

Peter Ninen

Aug 18, 2004, 4:56:38 PM8/18/04
MBSA 1.2.1 update for Windows XP SP2 compatibility available today!
I didn't get the improvement I had hoped for.  MBSA 1.2.1 still disagrees with Windows Update about certain patches on certain machines.  The poor user doesn't know what to do with conflicting information.

These two Microsoft tools simply MUST be made to agree.  This problem has gone on for a long time, and there is just no excuse.

Mike Chan [MSFT]

Aug 18, 2004, 5:36:33 PM8/18/04
Peter,

I understand your frustration and we are committed to ensuring that the results
from MBSA and windows update are the same.

As many of you know, MBSA uses the HFNetChk detection engine by Shavlik. Windows
Update uses the software update engine that was built by Microsoft and supports
only a subset of products that MBSA supports. The two technologies work
differently, and in the current time frame, we must use our internal processes
to ensure that results are the same.

For a short term resolution to your problem, can you tell me what patches are
you referring to? Can you give me more information in this area?

--
Mike Chan
Technical Product Manager (MBSA)
Security Business Unit
Microsoft Corporation

"Peter Ninen" <som...@somewhere.com> wrote in message

Doug Neal [MSFT]

Aug 18, 2004, 7:59:49 PM8/18/04

Here’s a breakdown on the differences between MBSA and Windows Update so users and administrators can decide which is best to use in different situations.

MBSA does one important thing that WU does not: MBSA will check explicit files to ensure a security bulletin and all of the associated files are patched on a machine.  This is far and above the best way to ensure your machine is up-to-date for all security bulletins released by Microsoft.  WU detection may result in incorrect patch status after uninstalling a patch, using System Restore on a machine or performing an in-place repair of the OS.  Since MBSA checks explicit file versions, no matter what state a machine is in, MBSA will correctly detect whether a patch is sufficiently applied in a way that WU cannot.

Windows Update does one important thing that MBSA does not: WU will scan for all updates, not just security updates (which can include drivers, recommended updates and ‘nice to have’ features offered by Microsoft).

Aside from both of these traits, it’s important to understand one more aspect of MBSA 1.2. Although the current version of MBSA has added support for many OS features and components (such as MSJVM, MSXML and MDAC), there are still patches for which MBSA cannot report the status of a patch (such as Outlook Express, WSH [Windows Scripting Host], and Front Page Server Extensions).  When MBSA encounters security bulletin information that the MBSA engine cannot scan for, MBSA will report a NOTE message.  When MBSA encounters a security bulletin for a component or feature that is not supported by MBSA, there will be no message (no note, no warning – nothing).  In both of these cases, it is an important indication that the administrator will need to check the details of this patch manually.  These issues are covered more fully in the associated KB article 306460.

I hope that helps explain some of inner workings of MBSA in a way that helps

If newsgroup discussion with experts and MVPs is unable to solve a problem
to your satisfaction, feel free to contact PSS for the Microsoft Baseline
Security Analyzer (MBSA) at the following link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;Prodoffer20a

This e-mail address does not receive e-mail, but is used for newsgroup
postings only.

Kevin Weilbacher [SBS-MVP]

Aug 18, 2004, 9:38:21 PM8/18/04
Doug - thanks for the excellent information. I've added it to my Blog for safe keeping!

--
Kevin Weilbacher [SBS-MVP]
"The days pass by so quickly now, the nights are seldom long"

Earl F. Parrish

Aug 19, 2004, 1:37:15 PM8/19/04

"Mike Chan [MSFT]" <mc...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Why isn't the version numberiing consistent? The earlier version
was 1.2.3xx so an upgrade should be numbered at least 1.2.4xx.

--
Earl F. Parrish

Mike Chan [MSFT]

Aug 19, 2004, 2:12:02 PM8/19/04
Your information is incorrect. The previous version of MBSA was 1.2 - this is a
minor release so we are following versioning convention with a 1.2.1 release.

--
Mike Chan
Technical Product Manager (MBSA)
Security Business Unit
Microsoft Corporation

"Earl F. Parrish" <efp...@nowhere.world> wrote in message

Earl F. Parrish

Aug 19, 2004, 2:53:45 PM8/19/04

> Your information is incorrect. The previous version of MBSA was
> 1.2 - this is a minor release so we are following versioning
> convention with a 1.2.1 release.
>
> --
> Mike Chan
> Technical Product Manager (MBSA)
> Security Business Unit
> Microsoft Corporation

This is what is appended to all my former scans when I upgraded to
1.2.1:
Scanned with MBSA version: 1.2.3316.1 ** Newer version
1.2.4013.0 is available

So you can see how one can be confused by version numbers since
1.2.1 only appears in the "About Microsoft Baseline Analyzer"
display. All my previous reports had version 1.2.3316.1 in the scan
reports. It would be less confusing if the Product number and the
version number were identical.

--
Earl F. Parrish

Mike Chan [MSFT]

Aug 19, 2004, 8:53:09 PM8/19/04
1.2.1 is the public version number.

4013.0 and 3316.1 are internal build numbers for MS reference only.