security question

1 view

luishugo

Jul 11, 2005, 2:22:02 AM7/11/05
Hello I hope soembody can help me inthis...I just got a pop up windows
everytime I turned on my pc " SBC SMARTBRIDGE NEED TO CLOSE " after that I
clecked in Msn report and said something about Yahoo ,lp ...? and I don't
have something about Yahoo in my pc.....I checked in my files search and I
founded a folders containing sbc and some of this foldres I cannot
deleted...please help..thanks

Wong Tuck Wah

Jul 11, 2005, 6:25:03 AM7/11/05
The terms sound like your PC is affected with trojans. I would advice to do
the followings:

1. Launch Task Manager to look out for suspicious process running
2. Run netstat to look for funny ports open and in listen state
3. Run reputable anti-spy ware to detect malware existence
4. Reboot into safe mode, delete the folder you saw, find any instance of
the questionable term in registry and delete them.

HTH.

Karl Levinson, mvp

Jul 11, 2005, 7:15:01 AM7/11/05

"luishugo" <luis...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Just curious, is that the exact word for word error message? For example,
perhaps "need" is actually "needs?" Is there anything else in the message?

To check your computer for spyware, search www.google.com to find download
locations for the following programs: spybot search and destroy, Adaware,
and CWShredder for starters.

Also, make sure you are running an antivirus program that automatically
downloads the latest updates at least each week, www.grisoft.com is free
antivirus.

luishugo

Jul 12, 2005, 7:28:03 PM7/12/05
hell and thanks for all the information igot a2 program to founded 15
malwares and trojans I deleted in the save mode ,also i run antispayware,and
Avg antivirus ...everythingwas ok until I cannot get ready of this = SBC
BRIDGE ENCOUNTER A PROBLEM AND WILL BE CLOSED" well i still have this one
..but cannot get ready off ...could be a good recommendation if i used back
up and reinstall xp again...? if i do that will be ready of this trojan....?
and when I used back up if I reinstalled xp again will keepmy files....please
help....thanks

luishugo

Jul 14, 2005, 3:17:01 AM7/14/05
hello again I just log my pc and continuous have it this pop up window
"MOTIVe SMART BRIDGE NEED TO BE CLOSED " ... I send a Msn report and
actually explained about SBC YAHOO DSL.......VENTURA COMPANY...? I don't know
how I can get this in my pc also I sent a message to a Yahoo dsl to try to
send me something so i can delete this ...I allready run A-squared and there
is no spyware o malware ......some ideas...? please ...apreciated...thanks

Tom

Jul 27, 2005, 12:29:04 PM7/27/05
I am new to these newsgroups, so please excuse me if I'm jumping in at the
wrong place, but I don't know where else to start. I'm running Win XP pro,
recently after running SpyBot, it found two registry entries changed,
AntiVirusDisableNotify! and AntiVirusOverride!, both = dword: 0. Now I find
that Alerter Service DLL (ALRSVC.DLL) is disabled. I searched the MS help
database and came up with nothing. Am I safe to turn these back on? Does it
sound like a virus or trojan on my system? Any help will be most appreciated.
Thanks, Tom

Malke

Jul 27, 2005, 1:04:03 PM7/27/05
Tom wrote:

> I am new to these newsgroups, so please excuse me if I'm jumping in at
> the wrong place, but I don't know where else to start. I'm running Win
> XP pro, recently after running SpyBot, it found two registry entries
> changed, AntiVirusDisableNotify! and AntiVirusOverride!, both = dword:
> 0. Now I find that Alerter Service DLL (ALRSVC.DLL) is disabled. I
> searched the MS help database and came up with nothing. Am I safe to
> turn these back on? Does it sound like a virus or trojan on my system?
> Any help will be most appreciated. Thanks, Tom

What you have done is to hijack someone else's thread. This isn't a good
thing to do because it prevents both parties - you and the Original
Poster - from getting good help. You are having difficulties posting
because you are using the web interface, which is awful. You should use
a newsreader instead; information on that is below.

For expediency's sake, here is the answer to your question (next time
make a new post). The latest Spybot gives a Security Settings warning
if the any of the alerts from XP's Service Pack 2 Security Center are
turned off. They may be turned off on purpose; for instance, I always
disable the alerts for the antivirus on my own machines. If this fits
your situation, I wouldn't worry about it. However, if you or a tech
didn't change the default Security Center settings (or you don't have
XP SP2), then you should probably investigate this further. Here are
some general malware removal instructions which you can follow:

Then if you need more help, make a new post including all details about
your machine and what you've done.

Using newsgroups:

Since you are using the web interface, you may not realize that this is
really a newsgroup. You will get far more out of this resource if you
learn to use a newsreader. There are many good newsreaders for Windows,
but you can use Outlook Express since you already have it. Here are
some links to information about newsgroups:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
explanation of newsgroups
http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/news/howto/default.asp
- Set Up Newsreader

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
working properly
http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm - how to munge email address
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs.
crossposting

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

PA Bear

Jul 27, 2005, 2:14:57 PM7/27/05
Begin a new thread here about /your/ problem. "Piggybacking" onto an
ongoing thread only confuses things and delays getting help.

The DisableNotify and AntiVirusOverride reports are new to Spybot v1.4 with
the 25 Jul-05 database installed. The DWORD values of 0 (zero) are the
defaults which would be found in the Registry (e.g.,
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security
Center\AntiVirusOverride) if DisableNotify and AntiVirus Override had *not*
been enabled. The DWORD values on your machine are probably 1 (one).
There's an ongoing discussion about this in the Spybot Support forum at
Net-Integration. See:
http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=32260

Chances are that you're running an anti-virus application (e.g., AVG) which
Security Center isn't able to monitor (or at least wasn't able to, in the
past) and that when Security Center gave you an Alert about this a while
ago, you'd chosen the ["Allow me to monitor the anti-virus myself"] option.
Spybot's just bringing this to your attention.

Check this setting via Control Panel > Security Center > Virus Protection.
You may find a new notice there telling you that Security Center is now able
to monitor your anti-virus application (e.g., AVG v7.0.388) and, if so, I
recommend that you allow it.

Should you allow Spybot to "fix" this "problem" and Security Center cannot
monitor your anti-virus application, you'll know soon enough.

Spybot should only be used by advanced users, Tom.

Alerter Service being disabled is not a cause for concern IMO:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q330904

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm