SE_AUDITID_IPSEC_POLICY CHANGED

themelbox

May 28, 2003, 10:41:16 PM5/28/03
"IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to inialize IKE
module with error code: The attempted operation is not
supported for the type of object.
.IPSec Services could not be started. " (verbatim)

Is this Warning a Problem. If so, how do I rectify it.
I know much about the "back office" messages.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

May 29, 2003, 12:08:00 AM5/29/03
Are you even trying to run/use VPN?

Torrey

May 29, 2003, 7:39:18 AM5/29/03

"themelbox" <them...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Do you have a software firewall - sometimes they have issues with VPN.

David Beder [MSFT]

May 30, 2003, 3:04:39 AM5/30/03
This occurs when an application (typically a firewall or other internet
security package) has accidentally failed to include code to allow system
security services (in this case IPSec) to access necessary interfaces such
as winsock.

A bit of hubbub has gone around over the past few days where an ipsec update
for XP caused loss of network connectivity and MS had to remove the update
from WU. What was found was that a new security feature included in the
update (if ipsec is not able to properly initialize and apply its security
policy, block all traffic to prevent possible intrusion) was being triggered
by such applications. In light of the prolificness of such applications, we
are re-evaluating this feature as well as contacting such vendors and
working with them to re-evaluate the behavior of their applications.

We would appreciate any information you feel comfortable sharing about the
software you have installed which would be causing this error. We have found
that in a number of cases the software vendors have already made updates to
address this issue but in a lot of cases they require their customers to
hunt them down for the updates.

At this point in time I don't feel it fair to name any vendors, so request
that people don't ask:)

Now, is this error actually a problem? Not really. It just means that you
won't be able to use ipsec for either network traffic security (or
encryption), nor will you be able to use L2TP/IPSec VPN connections. If you
don't have any intentions of using such services, you might just want to go
and turn the service off in the services control panel.

--
David
Microsoft Windows Networking