Constructor.Win32.Downldr.ek in newly downloaded Microsoft file

eli

Sep 28, 2008, 6:52:37 AM9/28/08
Hi:

I found the Constructor.Win32.Downldr.ek  virus in a MS file I had lying around in My Documents. Zone Alarm Security Suite 7.0.483.000 picked it up on a scheduled scan.

The file is named: WindowsXP-KB838079-SupportTools-ENU.exe

and can be downloaded from:

After it was quarantined, I tried downloading it again as a fresh copy from the MS download link above. It too showed the:

Constructor.Win32.Downldr.ek

virus.

I submitted the newly downloaded file to www.virustotal.com

It showed that both Kaspersky and  F-Secure detect that same virus. F-Prot shows it to be a damaged file. The other 33 engines found nothing wrong in this file

I'm puzzled by these findings.

Could it be that Microsoft has an infected and/or damaged file on its download site?

Or is this a false positive?

Thanks in advance:

-Eli
================

Windows XP Profesional Edition SP3
Zone Alarm Security Suite 7.0.483.000

David H. Lipman

Sep 28, 2008, 7:39:15 AM9/28/08
From: "eli" <som...@somebody.com>

| http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=49ae8576-9bb9-4126-9761-
| ba8011fabf38&DisplayLang=en

| Constructor.Win32.Downldr.ek

| virus.

| Thanks in advance:

| -Eli

WindowsXP-KB838079-SupportTools-ENU.exe is a self extracting archive file.

It consists of three .CAB files and a Microsft Installer, .MSI file.

The False Positive declaration was in; support.cab

These are file from the Windows NT Resource Kit.

I did not track down the specific file in the CAB file but it is a False Positive
declaration.

BTW: F-Secure did NOT detect anything in my test.

--
Dave