WinFixer2005 Installer

Tom C

Aug 20, 2005, 5:24:14 PM8/20/05
I just had a popup, and it seemed to want to take over my browser. I wanted
to start downloading a file but my Norton stopped it. It is called winfixer
2005. It put an downloading process icon in my system tray but it isnt
downloading anything,(that i can tell)

What is this and where did it come from? How do i get rid of it?...Is this
the same as the Backdoor.Darkroom trojan horse?

thanks
for the help...tcoop

Maurice N ~ MVP

Aug 20, 2005, 9:50:20 PM8/20/05
Tom,

Winfixer is hijackware. Do some reading and then cleanups.

Per Robear Dyer:
It *is* hijackware and causes registry problems and system errors!

Check for Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis
(http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to
use. It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware.
**Post your HijackThis log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

HTH
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

AndyManchesta

Aug 23, 2005, 5:46:28 PM8/23/05

If it ever finishes downloading it will enter itself into Add/Remove screen
so can be uninstalled its malware related so there's a good chance you have
malware to bring these pop ups, Its full of false positives as well but Im
sure your not considering to buy this ;)

Ive seen it come with PacerD, SurfSideKick, Aurora, Qoologic etc.. so its
bundles with alot of junk sometimes, if you have malware issues use Ewido
Security Suite, Its free and works great for trojans and spyware so well
worth using if you have pop ups to try and find the source of them

Let us know if you need more help

Andy

scoopdamedia

Sep 10, 2005, 8:55:44 AM9/10/05
I looked up google and dogpile for whatever info I could find. Which got
less and less as time (days) went on.
I blocked home url from my browser, it is a ".com".
I had already bought a "Fx-It Utilities" CD at computerusa store and is
installed on my computer. I used this to get rid of any "wnfixer'" garbage,
including "wf 2005" or something similar.
I did not rush. Finally days later, seems no more of this junk can I find on
my computer.

"AndyManchesta" <AndyMa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

scoopdamedia

Sep 18, 2005, 9:38:00 PM9/18/05
Correction, I updated my adaware anti-spyware and it found and deleted more
than 80 files of winfix spyware junk. "Lavasoft ad-aware-se" will kill and
delete winfix2005. Good luck.

"scoopdamedia" <scoopd...@msn.com> wrote in message