Publisher XP Slow, Uses Lots of CPU

Sibyl

Aug 22, 2002, 7:44:43 AM8/22/02
I recently bought a new computer with Windows XPand Office XP
including Publisher XP. I copied all my old Pub 98 publications (from
a Windows 95 computer) to the new computer and then the problems
started.

When I first opened one of my old files in PubXP, there were various
format changes (font, spacing, etc.) but I didn't worry too much
because I was just going to use the old file as a template for a new
publication. Once I started making changes, I was shocked to find out
how long it took PubXP to make them. For example, if I select a
whole article (it's an 8-page newsletter, so an article might start in
a column on the front page and continue on an inside page), and then
change the font, or even if I just add a subhead, the program VERY
VERY slowly makes the change, with that little hourglass icon staying
there for the whole time. This is just an example; this happens all
the time. A check of Windows task manager showed that 100% of the CPU
resources are being used when this happens.

In frustration, I tried saving the file as a Pub98 file, and it wasn't
quite as slow, but there were formatting things I couldn't do.

Has anyone else had this problem? All my other Office XP programs run
just fine, it's just Publisher. (By the way, it was preinstalled by
Dell before I got the computer.) What can I do? This makes my work
so impossibly slow that at this point, I'm ready to hang on to my old
computer and just produce the newsletter in Pub98/Windows 95!

Thanks, Sibyl

Brian Kvalheim [MVP]

Aug 22, 2002, 9:57:16 AM8/22/02
Sibyl,

Can you make sure you are running the latest patch for Publisher and then
post back if you are still have troubles?

http://office.microsoft.com/ProductUpdates/default.aspx

Make sure you download Office XP SP1 and SP2

--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP

"Sibyl" <si...@pipeline.com> wrote in message

Sibyl

Sep 2, 2002, 11:31:34 AM9/2/02
Brian,

Thanks for your prompt response. I am just getting around to doing
this because I had to complete another (non Publisher) project first.

Question: I can find the Office XP SP1 and SP2 downloads on the site
you referenced, but can't find a specific Publisher patch, and neither
the automatic detection feature nor the download site was any help.
Where should I be looking for it?

Thanks, Sibyl

Brian Kvalheim - [MVP]

Sep 2, 2002, 11:38:39 AM9/2/02
Sibyl,

This link should walk you through it. It will give you a link to the SR1
release as well:

http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2002/oxpsp2.aspx

--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

"Sibyl" <si...@pipeline.com> wrote in message

Sibyl

Sep 2, 2002, 12:40:53 PM9/2/02
Brian,

Perhaps I misunderstood. I thought you meant there was a separate
patch for Publisher in addition to the Office XP SP2 download. But
since you referred me to the SP2 download site, does that mean the
Publisher patch you were referring to is INCLUDED in the SP2
download. Or should I still be looking for something I can't find?

Thanks, and sorry to seem stupid.

Sibyl

Brian Kvalheim - [MVP]

Sep 2, 2002, 12:54:46 PM9/2/02
No, you are NOT stupid. It's confusing as can be.

Office XP, Word 2002, Excel 2002, PowerPoint 2002, Publisher 2002,
FrontPage 2002 ,Outlook 2002 all use the same patch.

You need to make sure you download patch 1 and 2 (SP1 and SP2). When you
download each patch, the setup will detect that you only have Publisher 2002
and will only apply THAT particular patch to Publisher 2002. The setup will
also only ask you for Publisher 2002's original setup CD.

Now if you are running Office XP (Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, FrontPage,
Word 2002 versions), the SAME patch will update all those applications as
well. You will be prompted for the original setup CD for those applications.

Does that help?

--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP
For FAQ's, Templates and More:
http://www.mvps.org/publisher
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

"Sibyl" <si...@pipeline.com> wrote in message

Mike Koewler

Sep 2, 2002, 7:05:16 PM9/2/02
Brian,

Couldn't MS made it a little harder, like having to type in the product
code, your grandmother's birth date and an algorithm involving your HDD
space divided by the number of temp files squared?

Mike

Brian Kvalheim - [MVP]

Sep 2, 2002, 9:08:08 PM9/2/02
Good question Mike. I will put together a kb article on that and have it
prepared next week! The new number will be Q123456

--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP
For FAQ's, Templates and More:
http://www.mvps.org/publisher
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

"Mike Koewler" <wor...@fuse.net> wrote in message

°MS°Publisher°

Sep 3, 2002, 6:30:46 AM9/3/02
Mike that is still far to simple for MS. Just as I say, quality control and
common sense at M$ has gone completely out the window.
If a little company like Serif can put all the updates on the latest
download package for new users how come it is so terribly difficult for M$
to get their act together. You can only wonder if M$ have any competent
people with an ounce/grams of common sense. Has the lack of common sense
and incompetence become an epidemic in the US?

--

Publisher Template and Sample files
http://www.users.bigpond.com/auslandline/publisher

Serif PagePlus Template and Sample files
http://www.users.bigpond.com/auslandline/serifpageplus

No.1 Oxymoron - Microsoft works