Successors starting out of sequence

EMERALDJIM

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

Does anyone know of a filter or macro which will tell me if a task has started
before it's predecessor has finished when the relationship is
'finish-to-start'? I am currently working on a number of projects which I
update on a weekly basis based on the input of various program managers who
don't fully understand the mechanics of MSProject (do any of us?). I'm just
looking for a quick way of doing what I now have to do manually and trying to
save a little time in the process. Any help would be much appreciated.
TIA
Jim

John Ward

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

Hi Jim (or is that Emerald?) :-)

here's a macro that I knocked up for you. It works on P98, may have to be
modified for P4.x.

Sub OutOfSequence()
' This macro assumes finish-start relationships with no lag
' although it could possibly be modified to cope with other
' configurations (caveat, caveat).

' Variable declaration
Dim oTask As Object
Dim oPredecessor As Object

' Reset the marked field
For Each oTask In ActiveProject.Tasks
oTask.Marked = False
Next oTask

' Set the marked field for the predecessor and the task
For Each oTask In ActiveProject.Tasks
For Each oPredecessor In oTask.PredecessorTasks
If DateDiff("d", oPredecessor.Finish, oTask.Start) < 0 Then
oPredecessor.Marked = True
oTask.Marked = True
End If
Next oPredecessor
Next oTask
End Sub

Once you've run the macro, apply a filter on the Marked field being true,
and you'll see tasks and their out of sequence predecessors (it works with
Autofilter at least).

Note that you have to find the PredecessorTasks collection for each task
and work through it to find out if the predecessor start date is later than
the task in question's start date.

John Ward
(Lots of MS things)

Caveat : life has not been rigorously tested. Please report any errors to
your nearest life-support line.

EMERALDJIM <emera...@aol.com> wrote in article
<199805060245...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...