Licensing MS Project

Ryan LeMay

Sep 13, 2004, 8:30:58 PM9/13/04
My question is what takes up a License. Does some one
viewing and not update project via the web take up a
license. If some one using outlook to update status take
a license. Can any one let me know how the licenses work?

Gary L. Chefetz (MVP)

Sep 14, 2004, 6:20:53 AM9/14/04
Ryan:

All users of the system, viewers and updaters alike, who do not have a copy
of Project Pro, must be licensed via a web Client Access License (CAL),
regardless of whether they access the system through Outlook or through the
web browser.

--

Gary L. Chefetz, MVP
"We wrote the book on Project Server

-
"Ryan LeMay" <s...@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message

Ryan LeMay

Sep 14, 2004, 9:55:42 AM9/14/04
If my company has Project installed on all their desktop
do I need to buy licensed for it? If no what version of
project includes licensed for Project server 2003?
>.

Gary L. Chefetz (MVP)

Sep 14, 2004, 11:01:05 AM9/14/04
Ryan:

You can use either Project Pro 2003 or 2002 to connect to Project Server
2003. If your company owns that many Project licenses, and they're
upgradable, that might be a more economic alternative. Anyone with a license
for Project Professional is also licensed for Project Web Access. Those that
don't have Project Pro must be licensed for the web CAL only.

--

Gary L. Chefetz, MVP
"We wrote the book on Project Server
http://www.msprojectexperts.com

-
"Ryan LeMay" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Sean

Sep 15, 2004, 2:20:02 PM9/15/04
What's the easiest way to track the PWA CAL's?
>.

Gary L. Chefetz (MVP)

Sep 16, 2004, 7:10:39 AM9/16/04
Both versions give you a so-called tally. Subtract the number of non-users
and Project Pro users from the list and that's how many CALs you need

CAL COUNT = ( [PWA User Total] ) - ( [Project Pro Users] + [Non Users in
Pool])

--

Gary L. Chefetz, MVP
"We wrote the book on Project Server
http://www.msprojectexperts.com

-
"Sean" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Michael D. Long

Sep 26, 2004, 9:46:00 PM9/26/04
What about the SQL Server costs in cases where a CALs are used instead of a
per processor license?

This cost appears to be overlooked more often than not.

--
Michael D. Long

"Gary L. Chefetz (MVP)" <gary.nospam at chefetz.org> wrote in message

Gary L. Chefetz (MVP)

Sep 27, 2004, 7:15:34 AM9/27/04
The poster asked about Project Server licensing. Let's not forget that there
are also operating system licenses and potentially Office system licenses as
well if you're intention is to take advantage of all the advanced SharePoint
features.

--

"Michael D. Long" <michael.d....@comcast.net> wrote in message