Round data labels in PPT chart?

jenant

Oct 6, 2009, 10:16:01 PM10/6/09
Is there a way to round and concatenate data labels in a PPT chart? I have a
data series I'd like to plot using the "real" data (e.g., $1,095), but I want
each data point to show the value rounded to the nearest $1,000 and
shorthanded (e.g., $1k). Is that possible? I know I can do it manually, but
the data will need frequent refreshing, so I don't want to have to do it over
and over.

I believe ThinkCell can do this, so I'm hoping there's a way to trick PPT
into doing it too.

Thank you!

Cosmo

Oct 7, 2009, 9:28:01 AM10/7/09
What version of PowerPoint are you using, and what type of chart are they?

If they are Excel charts , then you could add formula to cells that formats
the entered value to divide by 1000 and use those for your data for the chart.

Steve Rindsberg

Oct 7, 2009, 10:12:56 AM10/7/09
In article <0F91A9D1-1048-4729...@microsoft.com>, Jenant wrote:
> Is there a way to round and concatenate data labels in a PPT chart? I have a
> data series I'd like to plot using the "real" data (e.g., $1,095), but I want
> each data point to show the value rounded to the nearest $1,000 and
> shorthanded (e.g., $1k). Is that possible? I know I can do it manually, but
> the data will need frequent refreshing, so I don't want to have to do it over
> and over.

I'm guessing that you could create the chart in Excel instead.
Put the real data in one worksheet or section of a worksheet then copy/paste it
to another. In the copy, apply formatting that gives you the results you want,
then create your chart from that data instead.

==============================
PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/

Don't Miss the PPTLive User Conference! Atlanta | Oct 11-14

Echo S

Oct 7, 2009, 12:07:37 PM10/7/09
You should be able to do this with a number format. Use $0,"k" for the
format.

Apply it by right-clicking the data label and going to the number tab, then
to the Custom category. Type $0,"k" in the "type" box and hit OK.

Jon Peltier (first link below) has a great page of information about number
formats, and he spells out thousands, millions, etc., specifically toward
the bottom of the page. The Office Online article will also give you a good
overview so you can understand what's going on with the dollar sign and the
K inside quotation marks.

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/NumberFormats.html

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP012165031033.aspx?pid=CH100870371033

"jenant" <jen...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message