PPT2003 "Can't access <filename> because the filename is invalid"

Ace Fekay, MVP Directory Services

Apr 28, 2008, 11:33:00 AM4/28/08
Users are receiving this error when trying to save changes to a PPT file to
their home folders using Save As or simply saving as they update the file,
whether using a mapped drive or direct UNC to their My Docs location. My Docs
is GPO controlled for Folder Redirection directly to their home folder
location. Only on laptops, not desktops. Both set for Redirection, however
only laptops are set for Offline Files. CA eTrust is in place. One article at
experts-exchange (link posted below) suggested to disable "Scan Network
Drive." We've disabled this setting on the server side and client side
through the central policy, and still does not help. Seems like it happens
when there is an embedded image in the PPT file.

Scenario Summary:
- Folder Redirection set for My Docs folder to users' home folders
- Only happens on laptops with Offline Files enabled for home folder.
- Only difference between laptops and desktops, is Offiline Files are
enabled on laptops.
- CA's eTrust AV on clients and servers all controlled by central policy.
Disabled "Scan Network Drives"
- Office 2003 Service Pack 3 + any following updates

What we've tried:

Disable Scan Network Drive:
http://www.experts-echange.com/Software/Office_Productivity/Office_Suites/MS_Office/Powerpoint/Q_22824660.html

We've also followed the following KB to disable Oplocks in the reg. No help.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296264

Followed the following KB and created a reg file to disable FileOpenBlock
and allow FilesBeforePowerPoint97, without success.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938810

The following suggestion in this KB states to save it locally then later to
the network location. This is not a viable solution. We would rather find a
resolution.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817135

Thanks in advance. I appreciate any comments and/or suggestions.

Ace

MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Ace Fekay, MVP Directory Services

Apr 29, 2008, 3:06:01 PM4/29/08
Surprised no one else has had this issue or have at least heard or seen it
before.

Update - Only happens on:

Laptops that have Folder Redirection configured and Offline Files enabled.
When trying to Save or Save As and an embedded image exists in the PPT
presentation.

Ace

lhoehne

Jun 19, 2008, 12:53:05 PM6/19/08
We are having the same issue. Were you able to determine the fix?

Ace Fekay, MVP Directory Services

Jun 19, 2008, 1:46:01 PM6/19/08
"lhoehne" wrote:
> We are having the same issue. Were you able to determine the fix?

Nope. You're the first and only reply. My feeling is it may be a security
restriction. We are also seeing LSASRV 40961 and UserEnv 1030's and may well
be possilby ljinked or relaed. I don't believe the restrictions are in a GPO.
but rather believe they are a security restriction on the local desktops and
laptops because domain admins do not seem to have either problem. I am not a
domain admin at this installation, so I apologize I cannot help with
specifics concerning Rights and security restrictions.

I hope someone may have some input or suggestions.

Ace

the IT guy at City College@discussions.microsoft.com Just the IT guy at City College

Aug 21, 2008, 6:52:11 PM8/21/08
I wanted to let you know that we were having the same issue with one of our
users at my site and we disabled offline files. I'm not sure if this is an
option for your users but it worked for us.

Ace Fekay, MVP Directory Services

Aug 21, 2008, 11:18:00 PM8/21/08
What

"Just the IT guy at City College" wrote:

> I wanted to let you know that we were having the same issue with one of our
> users at my site and we disabled offline files. I'm not sure if this is an
> option for your users but it worked for us.

What we've determined after an extensive investigation, that it's CA
antivirus software. When we disable it, everything works. The basis behind it
was whenever an image was embedded into a Power Point slide, it would not
save across the network, but will locally. Disabling CA AV works. We've
worked with CA Tech Support to come up with a solution, but they're somewhat
dragged their feet with it for quite some time. I must admit, and I know this
is a public forum and have never provided negative comments, but their tech
support department was difficult to get a hold of because they never gave us
a direct phone number or email address to contact the owner of the support
ticket (like all other support depts I;ve dealt with), difficult to schedule
tasks and tests, etc. After months of working with them, and us complaining,
they came up with a replacement DLL file that we need to test. Problem is we
need to install it on one of the file servers that a specific user is having
this problem, as well as his machine. We just can't install a DLL on a
production server in the middle of the day with 3000+ users using it. It has
to be scheduled off hours along with the user that it is occuring with.

Anyway, that's where we're at. And sorry, no I cannot give anyone a copy of
the file. It is still under testing phase. If you are also using CA AV and
experiencing this issue, I would suggest to contact their support department.

Ace

Echo S

Aug 22, 2008, 9:24:08 PM8/22/08
Thanks for this information, Ace.

"Ace Fekay, MVP Directory Services"

<AceFekayMVPDir...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ace Fekay [MVP Direcrtory Services]

Aug 23, 2008, 2:20:00 AM8/23/08

"Echo S" <msnews...@echosvoiceUGHSPAM.com> wrote in message

> Thanks for this information, Ace.
>
> --
> Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com
> What's new in PPT 2007? http://www.echosvoice.com/2007.htm
> Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://tinyurl.com/36grcd
> PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kit http://tinyurl.com/32a7nx

My pleasure. This has been an ongoing battle since oct, 2007. I hope it
helps everyone here. If you have any blogs, go right ahead and add this and
you can reference me if you like.

Ace

Echo S

Aug 23, 2008, 10:18:18 AM8/23/08
I think I'll ask Steve to add it to the PPTFAQ. It's one of those things
that's not freqently asked, but it's soooo hard to track down, and I don't
recall there being any information out there on this issue. I don't want
your hard work to go to waste next time Google Groups becomes persnicikety!

"Ace Fekay [MVP Direcrtory Services]" <firstnam...@hotmail.com> wrote
in message news:D6AEA2F0-9C66-4764...@microsoft.com...

Steve Rindsberg

Aug 26, 2008, 11:39:26 AM8/26/08
Thanks to all.

Been there, done that.

PPT2003 - Can't access [filename] because the filename is invalid
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00956.htm

As we learn more about the problem, we can add to this page easily.

In article <ONpphsSB...@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, Echo S wrote:
> I think I'll ask Steve to add it to the PPTFAQ. It's one of those things
> that's not freqently asked, but it's soooo hard to track down, and I don't
> recall there being any information out there on this issue. I don't want
> your hard work to go to waste next time Google Groups becomes persnicikety!

Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com
Live and in personable in the Help Center at PowerPoint Live
Sept 21-24, San Diego CA, USA
www.pptlive.com

Echo S

Aug 26, 2008, 11:56:14 AM8/26/08
Yay! I was just getting ready to send this to you.

"Steve Rindsberg" <ab...@localhost.com> wrote in message

David M. Marcovitz

Aug 26, 2008, 12:59:48 PM8/26/08
Shouldn't you add a link to installing the latest service packs to this?
I thought this was one of the common errors when PP2003 was first
released before applying service packs.
--David

--
David M. Marcovitz
Microsoft PowerPoint MVP

Steve Rindsberg <ab...@localhost.com> wrote in

Steve Rindsberg

Aug 26, 2008, 4:00:08 PM8/26/08
In article <Xns9B068434D92C1ma...@207.46.248.16>, David M.
Marcovitz wrote:
> Shouldn't you add a link to installing the latest service packs to this?
> I thought this was one of the common errors when PP2003 was first
> released before applying service packs.

You get a slighly different message in that situation, but good suggestion just
the same since the messages are SO similar.

I've added a link to :

PowerPoint can't open the type of file represented by [FILENAME]
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00135.htm

and a link from it back to this new FAQ

Ace Fekay [MVP Direcrtory Services]

Sep 11, 2008, 10:27:30 PM9/11/08
In news:VA.0000431...@localhost.com,
Steve Rindsberg <ab...@localhost.com> requesting assistance, typed the
following:

Good news.

Preliminary results, meaning only after testing it two days with users that
usually experience this issue on a daily basis, we've found the updated DLL
file CA gave us, ARCLIB.DLL, did the trick.

We will wait about a week to monitor comments from the specific test bed of
users, that I must give kudos for taking the time and helping us out during
their hectic schedule in resolving this. I'll be calling them on a daily
basis to insure the updated file really did the trick. I will have to say,
we are extremely confident.

FYI, if you are experiencing this issue and have CA eTrust AV, contact their
support department for the file. I'm not sure if it is publicly released,
but if your case is similar to our case, they should more than likely give
you a copy.

If you have any questions. please feel free to contact me at
firstnam...@hotmail.com. Of course, replace the first name and last
name with my name.

Ace

confers no rights.

Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT,

MVP Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft PSS directly.
Please check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone
numbers.

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations

Echo S

Sep 12, 2008, 8:55:44 AM9/12/08
Great news, Ace. Well done! (Here's hoping the testing pans out.)

"Ace Fekay [MVP Direcrtory Services]" <firstnam...@hotmail.com> wrote

in message news:A3D7C664-E284-4595...@microsoft.com...

Ace Fekay [MVP Direcrtory Services]

Sep 15, 2008, 8:13:54 PM9/15/08
In news:utXXobNF...@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
Echo S <msnews...@echosvoiceUGHSPAM.com> requesting assistance, typed the
following:

> Great news, Ace. Well done! (Here's hoping the testing pans out.)

Thanks! So far so good. Everyone that we've applied the updated DLL is
saying the problem disappeared. Finally...

:-)

Ace

Piper@discussions.microsoft.com Peter Piper

Oct 8, 2008, 8:07:02 AM10/8/08
Your solution sounds much like the kind of thing that we are looking for.
hte ARCLIB.dll that you were given, was this a specific solution or was it
just an upgrade.

Could you tell me the version number or any other information to identify
the file. I am currently in conversations with CA support whom say that as
we have the latest version on the .dll we should be fine.

I just would like to make sure.

Thanks