Re: PowerPoint video crash

1 view

TAJ Simmons

Feb 21, 2006, 11:32:15 AM2/21/06
Dave,

Have you tried visiting toshiba's website to see if there is an "updated
graphics card driver" for the laptop?

Or visiting www.ati.com or whoever makes the "graphics card chip" for an
update.

That may do the trick.

Cheers
TAJ Simmons
microsoft powerpoint mvp

awesome - powerpoint backgrounds,
http://www.awesomebackgrounds.com
free powerpoint templates, tutorials, hints, tips and more...

"Dave B" <Dave B...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have made several videos on Moviemaker and can play them on media player,
> but when attempting to insert them into PowerPoint 2003 I get a green
> screen
> crash of PPT that requires a cntl-alt-delete to get out of the program.
> The system is a Toshiba Laptop 1.8GH Intel processor, 1gig ram, 100gig
> hard
> dirve, running XPpro and office 2003.
> I have 5 Sony desktops and it works fine on the desktops, but when ported
> the laptop I get the crash problem.
> I am a pastor of a Presbyterian church and we make the WMV files to
> accompany our puppet shows for the children.

Austin Myers

Feb 21, 2006, 11:31:31 AM2/21/06
Dave,

Which version of Movie Maker did you use? If you have not done so you
should upgrade (free download) to the newest version.

Austin Myers
MS PowerPoint MVP Team

PowerPoint Video and PowerPoint Sound Solutions www.pfcmedia.com

Dave B

Feb 21, 2006, 3:39:27 PM2/21/06

"TAJ Simmons" wrote:

> TAJ, Thanks for your input. I tried the Toshiba site and found nothing, so I called the Tech support line and they said there are no undated drivers for the NVidia graphics card. They suggest it is not a hardware problem since the videos work fine in Window Media file. I tired to imbed the windows media file inside Powerpoint as suggested by an old tech tip from Microsoft and this too crashed Powerpoint. I seem to be between a rock and a hard place here. No one seems to have encountered this problem before, so I am stuck.

TAJ Simmons

Feb 21, 2006, 5:51:00 PM2/21/06
Dave B

If you are at a loss, one last thing to try is to lower the "hardware
acceleration"

see
How to set graphics hardware acceleration back
http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00129.htm

Or if you want a "get out of jail free card" see
http://www.pfcmedia.com

Plays for Certain

Cheers
TAJ

"Dave B" <Da...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Austin Myers

Feb 21, 2006, 7:37:24 PM2/21/06
Not to sound like a broken record but what version of Movie Maker did you
use? Early versions of MM had known issues with PPT.

Austin Myers
MS PowerPoint MVP Team

PowerPoint Video and PowerPoint Sound Solutions www.pfcmedia.com

Dave B

Feb 21, 2006, 11:31:16 PM2/21/06
TAJ,
As it turns out, you were right. Even though Toshiba was unable to help, I
talked to a friend who basically told me the same thing as you, but instead
of going to Toshiba, we looked up the graphics card in the Hardware profile
section and found it to be Intel chipset. We went to the Intel website and
found that they had just released an updated release this week. I downloaded
the patch and it fixed about 80% of the problem. The other 20% was addressed
by moving my WMV files up on the address tree of the disk. I don't know why,
but with a big 100gig disk, if the program has to go too deep into a root
directory it times out and the video will not play. As soon as I moved the
videos up into a major file under the C drive, and with the new patch, things
worked perfectly. Thanks for putting me onto the right track. I just had to
take an additional step before I was able to employ your suggestion.

Meman

Jul 5, 2006, 3:11:02 PM7/5/06
Sorry for asking this here, but I couldn't find the button to create a new
thread.

I am having a similar problem. I have a video that will play in "Windows
media player" but will not play in "Mplay32.exe" I have checked the regestry
and all the values seem fine. ( I compaired them to ones post on this site).
I installed a bunch of codecs and still nothing.

The problem seems to have started when I did the last update for powerpoint.
Bug maybe? I've tried everything I can think of can anyone help?

Austin Myers

Jul 6, 2006, 9:59:24 AM7/6/06
You might want to read the tutorial at:

http://www.pfcmedia.com/Tutorial.htm

Austin Myers
MS PowerPoint MVP Team

Provider of PFCMedia http://www.pfcmedia.com

"Meman" <Me...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Meman

Jul 6, 2006, 12:44:02 PM7/6/06
I've read that page a few times. Unfortunatly I need Windows media encoder to
install that software and WME really screws up my system. I have installed
the mpeg codecs but they only seem to be working in WMP and not in MP32.

Austin Myers

Jul 7, 2006, 2:22:48 PM7/7/06

> I've read that page a few times. Unfortunatly I need Windows media encoder
> install that software and WME really screws up my system.

How so?